Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
741 - 760 of 765 Posts

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
According to Jeff Goodman, Arkansas-Pine Bluff is hiring Oral Roberts assistant Solomon Bozeman...which I thought put a cap on the 2021 Carousel, but apparently Bethune-Cookman hasn't formally promoted assistant Dominique Taylor like everyone expects them to, so it lives on!
And they're not gonna! Nope, seemingly out of nowhere Bethune-Cookman is going to hire Reggie Theus to be both the Head Coach AND the Athletic Director, a move that in no possible way could go badly, right? It's not like either of those are time-intensive jobs that require great oversight and attention to detail.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Damon Stoudamire is leaving Pacific to join the Boston Celtics as an assistant. Assistant coach Leonard Perry (a veteran guy who's been around a few spots, including head coach at Idaho at one point) is quickly named the new head coach. Received a multi-year deal, per Jeff Goodman.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Good stuff from Jeff Goodman: America East staffing updates. I'll move UVM discussion over to the appropriate thread...

An update to this: per HoopDirt, both Kevin Reed and Igor Vrzina are out at Maine. No word on replacements.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
According to HoopDirt, our old friend Will Brown is in the running at D-3 Colby-Sawyer:

Between this and his dalliance with Dartmouth a few years back, Brown is clearly in the hunt for some quaint, small town New Hampshire living.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
And some AE down-ballot news from HoopDirt: Former Albany assistant/guard Jon Iati has joined the staff at Lowell:

He replaced Nick Leonardelli, who after doing a quick Twitter search I learned has become the head coach at Henrico High School in Virginia.

EDIT: And a busy day on the AE Assistant front. NJIT has added Ricardo Rush, Jr. as an assistant coach:

Looks like Kim Waiters is no longer on staff. Unsure of the circumstances, though.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Hahahahahaha, the 2021 Carousel will live forever (or at least until Opening Day 2021-22). Chicago State dumped Lance Irvin:

Ok, it looks like the 2021 Carousel might actually be done: Chicago State officially hired Gerald Gillion as its coach. Gillion has been a few places as an assistant, most recently Samford...

·
Super Moderator
6,505 Posts
It may not all be over. Speculation is rampant that Bethune-Cookman is cleaning house in the entire athletic department, save AD Reggie Theus. Details are very murky, nobody can confirm yet if it’s just the upper staff of the department, a whole bunch of firings across the school, and whether or not entire coaching staffs will be overhauled.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #755 ·
It may not all be over. Speculation is rampant that Bethune-Cookman is cleaning house in the entire athletic department, save AD Reggie Theus. Details are very murky, nobody can confirm yet if it’s just the upper staff of the department, a whole bunch of firings across the school, and whether or not entire coaching staffs will be overhauled.

Theus is going to be their basketball coach in addition to being AD though isn't he? They did that assistant people thought was getting the job dirty, it seems by hiring Theus in both roles.

Also, no the carousel did not stop. Mark Gottfried looking like he's out at Cal State Northridge thanks to his runnings afoul with NCAA and literally having Jim Herrick on staff, but he's getting replaced by former Nevada/Stanford/LSU/TCU head coach Trent Johnson who has been an assistant at Cal the last couple years, says Goodman:

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
An update to this: per HoopDirt, both Kevin Reed and Igor Vrzina are out at Maine. No word on replacements.

Per Jon Rothstein, Maine has hired Jai Steadman as an assistant. He's been at UT-Rio Grande Valley for 7 seasons, and was their interim head coach during this past season after Lew Hill unexpectedly passed away:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Per Jon Rothstein, Maine has hired Jai Steadman as an assistant. He's been at UT-Rio Grande Valley for 7 seasons, and was their interim head coach during this past season after Lew Hill unexpectedly passed away:

This seems like a really quality hire by Barron/Maine. They have to be paying Steadman more than they were paying the former assistants. Say what you want about Barron, but the guy has connections. I just wish that he could start winning some games.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
This seems like a really quality hire by Barron/Maine. They have to be paying Steadman more than they were paying the former assistants. Say what you want about Barron, but the guy has connections. I just wish that he could start winning some games.
Last year doesn't count with all the covid stuff going on. I mean, they played 9 games in an extremely disjointed season. So he's basically had 2 years. The team was trending in the right direction, being competitive and getting some W's. There was a lot of enthusiasm leading into last season before life stopped for several months. I feel good about the direction of the program despite the constant negativity from many "fans". Barron is clearly an effective coach/leader and I think we just need to take a deep breath and let him have a little time. Christ, this program is one of a handful that has NEVER made the NCAA Tournament and is located in Orono, Maine. Switching coaches every 4 years isn't going to speed up the process of creating a winning culture.

All that isn't necessarily directed at you but at a few Maine fans on here and some that I see when I occasionally check MBR. I really don't go there much anymore as it is just a bunch of jackoffs for the most part nowadays.

Reactions: mainejeff

·
Registered
71 Posts
So did I see recently that DOBO Greg Snyder is leaving UVM for a position with Ernie Duncan’s AAU organization.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #760 ·
So did I see recently that DOBO Greg Snyder is leaving UVM for a position with Ernie Duncan’s AAU organization.
He worked for free last year, I don't think his position is coming back, or if it is the person has to work for free this year until the summer. 2 years in a row his salary (camp money) hasn't been there.

741 - 760 of 765 Posts