Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
...a forgivable offense considering what some other college basketball coaches have done throughout history.

Roy Williams/UNC was a worse offender by far, IMO

·
Registered
774 Posts
It’s not the most aesthetic basketball for sure, but they do get after it defensively and especially on the glass. Not sure I’ve seen that many third and fourth shots.

That said, if you add up the seeds of the four teams they beat, it adds up to 48. Will be a step up in class on Saturday, so we’ll see how they handle that.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
what did Sampson do? His violations seemed mild (but maybe I do not remember)
The NCAA's investigation into Sampson at Oklahoma revealed he had conducted more than 550 illegal phone calls over that period, leading to a ban on off-campus recruiting and calls for Sampson at Indiana. ... Indiana was hit with three years of probation for the violations Sampson committed, and he was fired in 2008.

He doesn’t follow rules and lies about it when he gets caught. Just a matter of time at Houston.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The NCAA's investigation into Sampson at Oklahoma revealed he had conducted more than 550 illegal phone calls over that period, leading to a ban on off-campus recruiting and calls for Sampson at Indiana. ... Indiana was hit with three years of probation for the violations Sampson committed, and he was fired in 2008.

He doesn’t follow rules and lies about it when he gets caught. Just a matter of time at Houston.
Sounds like a really good politician.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I guess my hierarchy of cheating goes something like this (least to most egregious)
1. Paying players (this garners a "meh" from me, to be honest. Players should be free to take money from boosters, agents, shoe companies, etc., IMO. Why not?)
2. Breaking recruiting/contact rules (being a pest, a la Sampson)
3. Academic fraud (stealing the player's services and not even giving the compensation they are allowed to have, education). What UNC/Roy Williams did sickens me. HE should never coach again

I'll keep quiet now, lest I hijack this thread

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The Baylor women kind of got jobbed on that last play. Clearly a foul...
Yeah, although those postgame comments from their coach were yiiiikes.

Hoping for some good games tonight, that Mobley v. Timmie matchup should be some appointment viewing (although I think Gonzaga will handle them by something in the neighborhood of the -8.5 spread).

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Hideous to watch Houston advances to the Final Four.
I agree. Anything Kelvin Sampson gives me the heebie geebies. He's a liar and a cheater.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thankfully the ref that collapsed on the court in the Gonzaga USC game appeared to be okay being stretchered off.

Meanwhile Gonzaga is just flame throwing USC in the first 10 minutes. Timmie doing whatever he wants.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Timmie is the reincarnation of Laettner. Good player that I absolutely love to hate.

·
Registered
774 Posts
They have such good balance. The passing and movement away from the ball is awesome. You can’t really double off of anyone because they can all shoot. It’s really a blueprint for how to play.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
They have such good balance. The passing and movement away from the ball is awesome. You can’t really double off of anyone because they can all shoot. It’s really a blueprint for how to play.
Completely agree. It is poetry in motion. Anything can happen, but I really have a hard time picturing a final that doesn't include both Gonzaga and Baylor at this point. They appear to be on a collision course.

Reactions: ProfessorDavid

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I wish there was more context to that story. I know we have had to pack up and leave quick after a loss as well. They use a travel agency to book charter flights and sometimes you have to take what you can get as charters aren't always readily and easily available. Was Oregon State told in advance that they would have to leave right away if they lost? I kinda feel like there is a little more to this story. It's a popular thing to crap on the NCAA nowadays so I know why this article was written right away and with the title it was given.

Reactions: GoCatsGo
121 - 140 of 172 Posts