Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
I wish there was more context to that story. I know we have had to pack up and leave quick after a loss as well. They use a travel agency to book charter flights and sometimes you have to take what you can get as charters aren't always readily and easily available. Was Oregon State told in advance that they would have to leave right away if they lost? I kinda feel like there is a little more to this story. It's a popular thing to crap on the NCAA nowadays so I know why this article was written right away and with the title it was given.
The way it’s being portrayed by that article as well as this one, the growing consensus is no.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
The way it’s being portrayed by that article as well as this one, the growing consensus is no.
That's basically the same article. Brobible? I went to their homepage...is that like a TMZ type of spinoff?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
They had UConn against ropes the entire night! I really thought Bueckers was going to put them on her back in the 4Q but Arizona just kept Arizona-ing. That was impressive.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hope the men's games are as entertaining as the women's were
So far, not so much. Plenty of time left, but tough to spot Baylor so many points when you’re not exactly an offensive machine.

As much as it’s been fun to see UCLA make its run and see a bunch of lower seed upsets along the way, I have been worried this sets up as one of the most potentially underwhelming Final 4 Saturdays in memory. So far those fears being realized. I mean, fun watching excellence, but you want some competitiveness at this stage.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
So far, not so much. Plenty of time left, but tough to spot Baylor so many points when you’re not exactly an offensive machine.

As much as it’s been fun to see UCLA make its run and see a bunch of lower seed upsets along the way, I have been worried this sets up as one of the most potentially underwhelming Final 4 Saturdays in memory. So far those fears being realized. I mean, fun watching excellence, but you want some competitiveness at this stage.
Hoping Baylor Gonzaga will be work the price of admission, because yeah the elite 8 onward has felt like largely one way traffic.

·
Registered
774 Posts
This second game is so far outstanding with 12 minutes left. It’s a compliment to both teams. On one hand, UCLA’s shot making has been ridiculous. They almost can’t play better than they have. On the other hand, they’re still down 4, which shows how good Gonzaga is.

Honestly figured UCLA would wilt in the second half. Maybe they still will. It’s brutally hard to hang with a team like Gonzaga for a full 40 minutes. But no matter what happens from here, they deserve tremendous credit.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I wonder what Calipari is thinking watching Juzang here. He is doing elite stuff. And Kentucky couldn’t shoot all year.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Tonight's title game has a lot to live up to with that Gonzaga/UCLA instant classic still fresh in everyone's mind. I have a feeling this will be a great game as both teams are super talented and well-coached.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Tonight's title game has a lot to live up to with that Gonzaga/UCLA instant classic still fresh in everyone's mind. I have a feeling this will be a great game as both teams are super talented and well-coached.
The beauty of the tournament, I've always thought, is that you don't always get what you think you want...but through the draws and the upsets, you end up getting things you never knew you needed. But then once every generation or so you get EXACTLY what you want. It's tough not to get hyperbolic about a game like this: the changed landscape of college basketball over the years means it's probably not the best championship match-up ever, and it may not even be the most-anticipated match-up ever, because forever is a long time and there have been some legendary showdowns over the yeas.

But I don't think there's ever been a group of fans who have wanted two teams to play for the title for a longer period of time in a single season that we all have wanted this from Gonzaga and Baylor in 2021. They are 1 and 1A. And it doesn't have to be an epic. It doesn't need a 38-foot bank shot buzzer beater. It just needs to be well-played, fair-played, and feel like the best team won. And I think we'll get that tonight.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
The beauty of the tournament, I've always thought, is that you don't always get what you think you want...but through the draws and the upsets, you end up getting things you never knew you needed. But then once every generation or so you get EXACTLY what you want. It's tough not to get hyperbolic about a game like this: the changed landscape of college basketball over the years means it's probably not the best championship match-up ever, and it may not even be the most-anticipated match-up ever, because forever is a long time and there have been some legendary showdowns over the yeas.

But I don't think there's ever been a group of fans who have wanted two teams to play for the title for a longer period of time in a single season that we all have wanted this from Gonzaga and Baylor in 2021. They are 1 and 1A. And it doesn't have to be an epic. It doesn't need a 38-foot bank shot buzzer beater. It just needs to be well-played, fair-played, and feel like the best team won. And I think we'll get that tonight.
Very well said. And I completely agree. I feel like college basketball has been building up to this since last season. Much of the 2019-20 season had either Baylor or Gonzaga as the #1 team and then this year it has been clear they were the 2 best teams. They had scheduled an out of conference game for this year against each other only to have it cancelled due to the covid pandemic. It does seem like there has been some momentum building up for almost 2 years for this matchup to occur and we will finally have it.

Both teams are just too well coached with quite a bit of experience for either to just completely lay an egg. I think that does promise us a great game from start to finish.

·
Premium Member
33,619 Posts
Least surprising final ever- easily two best teams all COVID season.

141 - 160 of 172 Posts