Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,624 Posts
Not really surprised, Baylor such a tougher team.

·
Premium Member
33,624 Posts
Loved watching Gonzaga play, such a talented team. Baylor was just relentless and put on a 3pt clinic.

Gonzaga will win a national championship some day.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I am curious how/if things would have been different had they played that initial game back in December. It's highly likely Gonzaga doesn't enter the tournament undefeated, but I wonder if we get a more competitive game...with even some chance of a different outcome...if the Zags could have seen that once in-person.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am curious how/if things would have been different had they played that initial game back in December. It's highly likely Gonzaga doesn't enter the tournament undefeated, but I wonder if we get a more competitive game...with even some chance of a different outcome...if the Zags could have seen that once in-person.
Baylor had way too many elite, physical athletes for the Zags, who were unable to sustain any offensive rhythm. Couple that with great Baylor shooting and it was really no contest. I seriously doubt Gonzaga could have ever beaten that lineup this year, as much as I have loved the former’s style of play.

·
Premium Member
33,624 Posts
I think it's always going to be difficult for Gonzaga to make a run through the entire tournament when, in a normal year, it spends January/February playing against the entirety of the WCC- which is really BYU and then in some years, St Mary's. It's really outgrown the WCC for many years now. No matter who it plays in the OOC in November/December, it's then tough to recalibrate that for March.

Reactions: Mr quint

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
It's too bad that MWC is so hellbent on being a football conference because a combo of the MWC & WCC could be the West Coast version of the Big East.....they could get together a nice line-up of strong hoops programs:

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
BYU
Utah State
Nevada
UNLV
Pepperdine
Loyola Marymount
San Diego State
New Mexico

·
Registered
778 Posts
Baylor came out with 100% focus and Gonzaga looked hung over. There was less than 48 hours between the end of the UCLA game and the start of the Baylor game, which is not much time to come down from an exhausting high and reset for a brutally tough defensive team.

I think if Gonzaga beat UCLA by 20 the way Baylor beat Houston, the first half yesterday isn’t so one-sided. If Baylor is locked in, you have to match their intensity. Gonzaga definitely did not.

Even under different circumstance, I think Baylor probably wins that game anyway because they have the perfect roster to give Gonzaga fits. But I don’t think it’s like last night was.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Man, Baylor looked so good. Even when Gonzaga made a few runs, I never felt like the outcome was in doubt. They were equally as good on both ends of the floor: stifling defense coupled with some amazing offense/shooting. That was definitely one of the best performances I remember seeing in the last few years.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts