Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Would have been cool but who knows .. maybe not knowing what the future holds in European / World conflict made it a situation they decided it would be best to skip right now.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Don't like it, don't get it at all. Why are we flying to Florida to play teams that literally you can get a home-home with as none are world beaters. If we were playing St Joes, USF, UAB, or Georgia in one of the games I would understand...but this is weak sauce scheduling.
Austin Peay Ken Pom 291
Bucknell 336
Presbyterian 263

We are talking about a combined record of 33-60.

Men's Basketball Set to Compete in Sunshine Slam - University at Albany Great Danes

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
2021 had a "regional round" giving each team one campus game in the week beforehand. I'd guess Albany will be at one of the "bigger" schools on the way down.

I hope so. And I hope it is not St. Joe's not because it is St. Joe's but because it is DK and he can get a game with St. Joe's (likely) based on his Philly connections. Georgia for an experience, UAB for a new area we've never been, or USF as a potentially winnable game would be more to my liking. However, based on what you shared, the regional game against St. Joe's is the likeliest scenario.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Seems like the 2021 games were largely geographic (URI-Bryant, for example). So I bet you get Bucknell-St. Joe's, Presby-Georgia, APSU-UAB, and Albany gets USF on their trip down to Daytona.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Don't like it, don't get it at all. Why are we flying to Florida to play teams that literally you can get a home-home with as none are world beaters. If we were playing St Joes, USF, UAB, or Georgia in one of the games I would understand...but this is weak sauce scheduling.
Austin Peay Ken Pom 291
Bucknell 336
Presbyterian 263

We are talking about a combined record of 33-60.

Men's Basketball Set to Compete in Sunshine Slam - University at Albany Great Danes
I know that Becker has talked about playing games/tourneys in warm weather locales as a treat for the guys (read-recruiting). It's a business trip, but who doesn't want to go to a warm weather tournament when you're going to school in the Northeast?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know that Becker has talked about playing games/tourneys in warm weather locales as a treat for the guys (read-recruiting). It's a business trip, but who doesn't want to go to a warm weather tournament when you're going to school in the Northeast?
In that case, time for Vermont to make the next trip to Hawaii. Or since we have recruits coming form California the last couple of years. A tournament out there.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Or, they should be sponsoring/in the rotation regularly of an annual MTE like "The Northern Classic" where they could if they tried open up a real recruiting base to an area rapidly growing in basketball talent (they just happen to not land the good ones but Chris Boucher, Lu Dort, Benedict Mathurin, Chris Duarte are all from there) and one where they'd get a lot of their fans traveling up to see them.

That or play a one-off game up there annually against a P5 that might have a few Canadians, or a school like Syracuse where they'd have a similar interest in having a few inroads. If you can't get a good team to play you in Burlington, give it a try in Montreal, where they could be more willing...I suggested that to someone at UVM long ago when Davidson had a Quebec contingent of players and got blank stares. This was literally like 2-3 years after the hockey team played a regular-season game in Quebec City.

Innovation and forward-thinking though is not a strong suit on the athletic department front, and Becker while he might participate in these events, chooses them very carefully so as not to look bad and take multiple losses (aka the winnable fields void of any other top 75-100 teams). When people talk about UVM taking "the next step" the next step is lobbying to get into the Myrtle Beach Invitational, Paradise Jam or Charleston Classic (true bracketed tourneys carried on ESPN networks). That, along with fans putting their money where their mouths are and actually giving up large sums of cash to the team (sums 95% of them can't afford to do...so...on one hand, stop complaining)

Speaking of MTEs...what happened to that tourney in Jamacia that the AE was "sponsoring" to administer, with the idea that it was going to rotate an AE team in every year?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Tonight during his Zoom call Coach Herrion announced the upcoming OOC schedule!

Money Games:
Boston College
St. Johns
Fordham
George Washington

Home Games:
Boston University
Holy Cross
Fairfield
Sacred Heart

Away Games:
Columbia
Brown
Dartmouth

I think it's safe to assume we might have a non d1 or two to round out the schedule.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tonight during his Zoom call Coach Herrion announced the upcoming OOC schedule!

Money Games:
Boston College
St. Johns
Fordham
George Washington

Home Games:
Boston University
Holy Cross
Fairfield
Sacred Heart

Away Games:
Columbia
Brown
Dartmouth

I think it's safe to assume we might have a non d1 or two to round out the schedule.
Awesome home schedule!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts