Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think we had a thread for this yet, collecting preseason predictions from various sources. I ordered The Almanac from Field of 68 (sidenote: Order it. The thing is massive, like 800+ pages of content. Legit previews of every D-1 team. Worth the extra money if you want to know things). Here's what they had for AE projections...

1. Vermont
2. Bryant
3. Lowell
4. Binghamton
5. UMBC
6. Albany
7. NJIT
8. New Hampshire
9. Maine

POY: Charles Pride, Bryant
DPOY: Max Brooks, Lowell
N(ewcomer)OY: Dylan Penn, Vermont
COY: John Becker, Vermont

FIRST TEAM
-Dylan Penn, Vermont
-Jacob Falko, Binghamton
-Charles Pride, Bryant
-Miles Coleman, NJIT
-Max Brooks, Lowell

SECOND TEAM
-John McGriff, Binghamton
-Finn Sullivan, Vermont
-Craig Beaudion, UMBC
-Earl Timberlake, Bryant
-Justin Neely, Albany

COACHES POLL (Anonymous Survey Results From League Coaches)

Breakout Player: Earl Timberlake, Bryant
Player Who Scares You The Most: Charles Pride, Bryant
Best Pro Prospect: Charles Pride, Bryant
Best X-and-O Coach: John Becker, Vermont
Sleeper Team: Lowell
Best Home Court Advantage: Vermont

Commence arguing!

· Registered
410 Posts
I mean...in all honesty, the UVM bench probably comes in 3-5.

:ROFLMAO:
As a UVM fan, I like the CATS but Bryant looks really strong, having brought in proven talent from considerably stronger conferences plus they have a stud or two who have returned. On paper, I have Bryant as preseason favorites, in particular with all the unknowns about UVM’s bigs. And don’t discount the particular difficulty in playing Bryant at home.

· Registered
481 Posts
I like Vermont and Bryant as 1-2. Don't feel like I know enough about the other teams to really make a statement beyond that. I do think Binghamton should comfortably be in the middle three given what they return.

On talent alone, Bryant might be the favorite, but Vermont has a proven track record of getting their guys to play winning, team first basketball.

· Gr8t Dane
905 Posts
I thought last season was bad for pre-season chatter, rankings, and reviews of Mid-Major conferences and I blamed COVID for it. That doesn't seem to be the reason, as this year is even worse. It's the last week of September now, and still almost nothing out there.

There is a ton in of UVM chatter on this board as usual. Bryant looks to be extremely tough, but I got next to nothing on any of the other teams, including my Danes. I think they will surprise a lot of people this year with Neely and Reddish, Patel was an under the radar great get in the transfer pool, but beyond that it's pretty much all questions.

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Those Almanac picks make pretty good sense. I’d have the same top three teams in some order. I think any of them could win.

The only thing that sticks out to me is the coaches’ pick for best home court advantage. All due respect to our geriatric posse, but I’m not sure how Bryant doesn’t get that nod. And maybe I wouldn’t call Lowell a “sleeper”. I think they are a legitimate contender without the “sleeper” element, but I guess I could see why they’d be labeled that way relative to UVM and Bryant.

· Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding home court advantage, I think it's a good example of coaches knowing what they know. Without looking, I don't know how many of the league's other 8 coaches have played at Bryant. But they've all been through Patrick Gym and know that it's difficult to win there so I'm not surprised to see that win out. Next year? Maybe a different impression.

Home court advantage is also one of those things where there's many ways you can measure it but none of them really give you the whole story. Vermont was 16-0 at home last year. Was it because we had a home court advantage? Or was it because we were favored in every game? Did we have really good team advantage?

It was a little easier to recognize back in those mid/late-90s days when we were just hovering around 5th/6th place but we'd run off these multi-year stretches where Delaware, and Hofstra, and those good BU teams just couldn't figure out Burlington.

Anyway, I think you could say something similar about Bryant. They definitely turn out well attendance-wise for big games, but they certainly had a "really good team advantage" last year and likely this year as well.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Regarding home court advantage, I think it's a good example of coaches knowing what they know. Without looking, I don't know how many of the league's other 8 coaches have played at Bryant. But they've all been through Patrick Gym and know that it's difficult to win there so I'm not surprised to see that win out. Next year? Maybe a different impression.

Home court advantage is also one of those things where there's many ways you can measure it but none of them really give you the whole story. Vermont was 16-0 at home last year. Was it because we had a home court advantage? Or was it because we were favored in every game? Did we have really good team advantage?

It was a little easier to recognize back in those mid/late-90s days when we were just hovering around 5th/6th place but we'd run off these multi-year stretches where Delaware, and Hofstra, and those good BU teams just couldn't figure out Burlington.

Anyway, I think you could say something similar about Bryant. They definitely turn out well attendance-wise for big games, but they certainly had a "really good team advantage" last year and likely this year as well.
Agree to all of this.

While I do think that UVM will contend to win the league again this year, I think that gap between the top three teams will be closer than it has been in quite a while. Obviously, Bryant looks great on paper and looks like a preseason favorite. UVM just has more questions marks with the roster than they usually have.

· Registered
481 Posts
Surprised to see Binghamton is the most experienced team in the conference. Feel like the entire Dempsey Era was a stagnating cycle of: putting all our hopes on the newest freshmen class>watching a few transfer out>the rest not really developing beyond Year 1>repeat.

I do think it's a nice little bonus that the Bearcats core group has a season of familiarity, whereas Bryant and Vermont might have to go through a little bit of a learning curve early on as the players figure out who's who when the games matter.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts