Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Gr8t Dane
868 Posts
With two teams in the league coming off tournament performances (UVM and Bryant) and both getting some nice looking transfers, it has me wondering what it would take for the AE to make the jump to a multi-bid league. I obviously don't see it happening this year or anytime soon, but as schools are making conference jumps and all the changes in the NCAA, it seems to me that this could be an opportunity for the league to actually do well and earn some credibility.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With two teams in the league coming off tournament performances (UVM and Bryant) and both getting some nice looking transfers, it has me wondering what it would take for the AE to make the jump to a multi-bid league. I obviously don't see it happening this year or anytime soon, but as schools are making conference jumps and all the changes in the NCAA, it seems to me that this could be an opportunity for the league to actually do well and earn some credibility.
Don't really think it's possible. With the followings that most America East teams have there's no reason for the schools to waste a bunch of money trying to be something they aren't.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That makes a ton of sense....:rolleyes:
Why are there aspirations to be a 2 bid league? There's nothing about the schools in the conference that indicate the alums and students care about college basketball. No teams have attendance that would indicate a large following (besides VT) and many have sub 1K average attendance. The CAA is seen as a "step up" and that's not close to being a multi bid league.

Is there something wrong with the America East just understanding what it is and being okay with that?

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Why are there aspirations to be a 2 bid league? There's nothing about the schools in the conference that indicate the alums and students care about college basketball. No teams have attendance that would indicate a large following (besides VT) and many have sub 1K average attendance. The CAA is seen as a "step up" and that's not close to being a multi bid league.

Is there something wrong with the America East just understanding what it is and being okay with that?
So I guess that we just cede success and post-season appearances to Vermont? I don't give a crap about a "2 bid league".....but I certainly want Maine....or anyone else in the league to be successful winning programs. If that means more than 1 team being considered for post-season in the same season....so be it. It is the defeatist attitude that irked me. I guess that Maine should have never hired Markwood or should build a new on campus arena......how dare they try to be "something they are not".

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I guess that we just cede success and post-season appearances to Vermont? I don't give a crap about a "2 bid league".....but I certainly want Maine....or anyone else in the league to be successful winning programs. If that means more than 1 team being considered for post-season in the same season....so be it. It is the defeatist attitude that irked me. I guess that Maine should have never hired Markwood or should build a new on campus arena......how dare they try to be "something they are not".
That's absolutely not what I'm saying. Every team in the league should strive to be the best they can be, but looking at the league from afar it's pretty clear that there aren't any of the characteristics that you associate with a multi bid league. Maine should absolutely do what they can not to be one of the worst teams in college basketball, but it's silly to pretend that if AE schools threw a bunch of money at basketball it would become a powerhouse league. There are much better ways for schools to spend their resources.

·
Gr8t Dane
868 Posts

Why are there aspirations to be a multi-bid league? Are you serious? That's the stupidest question I think I have been asked on this board.

Why are the teams playing at all if the goal isn't to dance in March? Yes the league has low attendance but a lot of that has to do with having very few games on the schedule against teams that casual fans want to go see. No offense to anyone in the league, but I really doubt there are more than a handful of people in the Albany area that look at the schedule each year to find out when the UML/Bing/Maine/NH/NJIT games are on the calendar to get tickets. Attendance was always pretty strong for the UVM and SBU games. Get a couple more schools to raise their profile and the attendance will rise.

Also, multi-bid leagues get multiple shares of the NCAA revenue pool for the league members. Want your schools budget to increase? Get 2-3 teams in the tournament and 1-2 of them to get through the first round. Do that 2-3 years in a row and see the extra couple hundred grand a year your school gets from the NCAA added to the budget.

I do understand what the AE is, and no I'm not OK with it. I feel it is the best fit for the team I follow today, and I see no benefit of moving to the CAA, but if 20 more years go by and UA is still in the AE and the AE is still a low level one bid conference I'd call these next two decades a failure athletically.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Back to you know, the original topic at hand and not fantasy land, but most teams still have around 4 scholarships left to fill, with NJIT having possibly up to 6. Given that summer school is going start for some schools like UVM literally almost right after graduation is completed and individual workout plans I believe can start in mid to late June, it'll be interesting to see how the next few weeks go, especially with the portal deadline being today I think.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
That's absolutely not what I'm saying. Every team in the league should strive to be the best they can be, but looking at the league from afar it's pretty clear that there aren't any of the characteristics that you associate with a multi bid league. Maine should absolutely do what they can not to be one of the worst teams in college basketball, but it's silly to pretend that if AE schools threw a bunch of money at basketball it would become a powerhouse league. There are much better ways for schools to spend their resources.
You know that the America East has sent two teams to the NCAA tournament in Women's Basketball, right?

·
Registered
863 Posts
With so many spots to fill it feels like Becker might've overplayed his hand a bit. Unless lightning strikes with Montavius Murphy it doesn't seem like there are many fish in the pond to choose from. The deadline for NLI signing for incoming freshmen is right around the corner too (May 18th) and I figure any incoming freshmen would've given their commitment by now.

In that spot, is there any chance we could see Lefebvre and Evan Guillory come back? Based on the IG post it seems Guillory left on bad terms; perhaps Lefebvre could be looking around and recognize the important role he could play on UVM's guard-heavy roster?

I'm also wondering if we could see Jorge Ochoa play a meaningful amount of minutes. Even Davis didn't play much his freshman season (to be fair that may have had more to do with his nagging foot injury).

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Montavious Murphy can't make up his mind, he already bailed on Stephen F. Austin after sitting out the whole year and committing to them a month ago, and really, is he a lightning strikes guy? Who knows. Also, not many fish in the pond? Buddy there are 1,649 that have been through the portal. Not all created equal, but come onnnnn. There are guys UVM is working on via both fronts. Signing day doesn't really matter. Transfers don't sign NLIs, and if a freshman doesn't sign one after today it's not a big deal, they just get a different set of paperwork. Furthermore, the staff doesn't need to panic and make mistakes in player evaluations in the transfer market and take a guy with red flags only to get burned later (see: Andre, Bernie).

Sure, you could say there's a possibility the staff aimed high and whiffed on a lot of guys, that in some respects might not be inaccurate, but, based on what's public, they landed two guys they got speculated with. Those that left aren't coming back. If you want to talk about guys who overplayed their hands, it's those UVM players in the portal. They're either going to end up at some bad schools, or down a level, or maybe a junior college to repeat the process next year. Totally, fine but it's a two way street and I'm not going to cry over three non-contributors at this point. Whether or not they are replaced by upgrades or not is TBD, and totally on the coaches, but to act like they won't find anything...now, in May, when there's still tons of people available...that's dumb. Get back to me if the situation is the same in late July.

·
Registered
309 Posts
UNH returns three scholarship players Nick Johnson, AJ Lopez and Jon Willeman (walk on turned scholarship player this year).

Newcomers:

Freshmen: PG Christian Moore, G Rex Sunderland and PF Promise Opurum.

Sophomore: F Trey Woodyard (Valparaiso)

Juniors: SG Nazim Derry (Goldey-Beacom), PF Clarence Daniels (JUCO All-American), G/F Jaxson Baker (Centeal Arkansas), PG Kyree Brown (Seattle)

Senior: G Matt Herasme (Marist)

They have one more scholarship left

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
UNH returns three scholarship players Nick Johnson, AJ Lopez and Jon Willeman (walk on turned scholarship player this year).

Newcomers:

Freshmen: PG Christian Moore, G Rex Sunderland and PF Promise Opurum.

Sophomore: F Trey Woodyard (Valparaiso)

Juniors: SG Nazim Derry (Goldey-Beacom), PF Clarence Daniels (JUCO All-American), G/F Jaxson Baker (Centeal Arkansas), PG Kyree Brown (Seattle)

Senior: G Matt Herasme (Marist)

They have one more scholarship left
I assume this all came from Herrion's Zoom meeting or whatever was referenced elsewhere? Haven't seen anything else on this Woodyard. Not saying I don't believe you, just making sure.

Also, Mattos done then? He had another year available to him. Not a surprise...I'm not sure he actually even liked basketball, just played it because he was 6-10.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts