Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New thread alert! Next season starts today. Below is our roster as it stands today. Note: just for accounting purposes, I'm assuming any Super Senior with remaining eligibility is on the team until it is announced otherwise. It's just easier than guessing or speculating.

12 Scholarships Used - 1 Scholarship Available

SUPER SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Kam Gibson
-Isaiah Powell
-Finn Sullivan

SENIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney

JUNIORS
-Nick Fiorillo (on scholarship for 2023 per previous reporting)
-Georges Lefebvre

SOPHOMORES
-Evan Guillory

FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu
-Michel Ndayishimiye (walk-on)

COACH: John Becker

Obviously the decisions or Davis and Powell will be the biggest driver in terms of our available scholarship count.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Where would Powell move on to? I would think, at least as far as his basketball development and pro prospects, he should stay for his super senior. It would be his year.

I think I saw something (on this board) that Demuth's career was likely over due to injury according to a Becker interview.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where would Powell move on to? I would think, at least as far as his basketball development and pro prospects, he should stay for his super senior. It would be his year.

I think I saw something (on this board) that Demuth's career was likely over due to injury according to a Becker interview.
I would think Davis would try and go showcase himself at a power school. Hope he stays at Vermont but I also would like to see him step up to a team Like Iowa State or Wisconsin or something like that.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I would think Davis would try and go showcase himself at a power school. Hope he stays at Vermont but I also would like to see him step up to a team Like Iowa State or Wisconsin or something like that.
Davis is free to do what he wants, but given his back issues, he needs to really think long and hard about capitalizing on his UVM resume and make sure he's in the best position to make money playing abroad (and I think he could land in a nice situation somewhere to start). While I believe he will be able to get Power 5/Big East looks...his role will not be remotely the same. So, he's got a lot to think about.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You have to be careful about these "showcase" scenarios. Stef attempted just that, and I think it did just the opposite. Sure, he played some and lived the big time experience, but his minutes were limited and he was a role player.

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
Way too soon.

Still can't believe there's no game thread talking about our matchup tomorrow with NM State.

Reactions: jtmac

·
Registered
750 Posts
I know it's highly unlikely, but man...if Davis decided to come back, next year's team could be really good.

There are still a lot of pieces to work with but the frontcourt will be a huge question mark obviously. I'll be interested to see how we do on the transfer market with the recent success of the team and minutes available.

·
Registered
253 Posts
New thread alert! Next season starts today. Below is our roster as it stands today. Note: just for accounting purposes, I'm assuming any Super Senior with remaining eligibility is on the team until it is announced otherwise. It's just easier than guessing or speculating.

12 Scholarships Used - 1 Scholarship Available

SUPER SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Kam Gibson
-Isaiah Powell
-Finn Sullivan

SENIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney

JUNIORS
-Georges Lefebvre

SOPHOMORES
-Evan Guillory

FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu

Obviously the decisions or Davis and Powell will be the biggest driver in terms of our available scholarship count.
Loyola - Chicago could be a spot for Davis. Close to home and they move to the A-10. Plus play a good independent schedule.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: 3/21 with the Beckett transfer news.

11 Scholarships Used - 2 Scholarship Available

SUPER SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Kam Gibson
-Isaiah Powell
-Finn Sullivan

SENIORS
-Aaron Deloney

JUNIORS
-Georges Lefebvre

SOPHOMORES
-Evan Guillory

FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beckett's transfer was so immediate. It must've been incubating for weeks/months. Just a theory.
Likely, but also not surprising. I think the Portal is littered with guys who are good teammates, don't cheat practice, are ready to see through their team commitments to the very end, no matter how far they go...but probably had decided in December "Yeah, as soon as the season is wrapped I'm going to start shopping around."

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious the unintended consequences/unfortunate byproduct of the additional COVID years is that players like Beckett end up getting cemented in their spot in the depth chart. There's going to be two full consecutive seasons of kids we have returning ahead of him/more experienced that would have otherwise graduated.

His entry-point into UVM was just really poor timing, I think that's really all it is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is still a strong group with the departed players...Considering that most likely Davis and Powell will find other opportunities...

In the back court, it seems to be a very capable group with a lot of new upside coming from Guillory and Alamutu.

Sullivan
Gibson
Duncan
Deloney
Guillory
Alamutu
Ndayishimiye

In the front court, it is thinner and less experienced..

Demuth
Fiorillo
Lefebvre

No news on the injury status for Demuth but there we have already big bodies in Fiorillo and Lefebvre..At some point UVM will need to put them on the court regularly to see what's in them...

I would not be surprised if one or two transfers would be used truer back to the basket forwards like Giddens was, as Fiorillo and Lefebvre essentially played more as power forward or small forward during their HS and both of them are not "natural' playing their backs to the basket....It could help them both to have a player used to play like that since HS playing with them...Only few times last season we saw Fiorillo playing with Davis and he would be really able to showcase even more his passing and shooting skills if he would play more looking at the basket then he did last season...As good as he was, Powell played out of position all season long as he is a natural Small Forward....He did his best against often much bigger bodies,and it may be a reason why he did not produced as usual in some games...It was great against the America East teams but was a bit exposed when the they got opponents playing with a bigger and more athletic front court....

Also, UVM offered a couple of forward, so we could end up with 7 or 8 guards and 5 or 6 forwards....

With the natural athletism of players like Guillory, Alamutu, Lefebvre and maybe some of the newcomers we could see a less experienced but much more athletic team at UVM next season....

Projecting 22-23

Start:

Deloney
Gibson
Sullivan
Fiorillo
Transfer forward/Demuth

Rotation:

Duncan
Alamutu
Guillory
Lefebvre
Transfer forward

Depth:
Ndayishimiye
Freshman forward
Freshman Guard/forward

It could be interesting to see how John Becker would coach such a different group....

·
U of AZ 72
162 Posts
This is still a strong group with the departed players...Considering that most likely Davis and Powell will find other opportunities...

In the back court, it seems to be a very capable group with a lot of new upside coming from Guillory and Alamutu.

Sullivan
Gibson
Duncan
Deloney
Guillory
Alamutu
Ndayishimiye

Demuth
Fiorillo
Lefebvre

No news on the injury status for Demuth but there we have already big bodies in Fiorillo and Lefebvre..At some point UVM will need to put them on the court regularly to see what's in them...

I would not be surprised if one or two transfers would be used truer back to the basket forwards like Giddens was, as Fiorillo and Lefebvre essentially played more as power forward or small forward during their HS and both of them are not "natural' playing their backs to the basket....It could help them both to have a player used to play like that since HS playing with them...Only few times last season we saw Fiorillo playing with Davis and he would be really able to showcase even more his passing and shooting skills if he would play more looking at the basket then he did last season...As good as he was, Powell played out of position all season long as he is a natural Small Forward....He did his best against often much bigger bodies,and it may be a reason why he did not produced as usual in some games...It was great against the America East teams but was a bit exposed when the they got opponents playing with a bigger and more athletic front court....

Also, UVM offered a couple of forward, so we could end up with 7 or 8 guards and 5 or 6 forwards....

With the natural athletism of players like Guillory, Alamutu, Lefebvre and maybe some of the newcomers we could see a less experienced but much more athletic team at UVM next season....

Projecting 22-23

Start:

Deloney
Gibson
Sullivan
Fiorillo
Transfer forward/Demuth

Rotation:

Duncan
Alamutu
Guillory
Lefebvre
Transfer forward

Depth:
Ndayishimiye
Freshman forward
Freshman Guard/forward

It could be interesting to see how John Becker would coach such a different group....
Don't know how long the Demuth situation is going to go on but two yrs and hardly any playing time and when he did it wasn't impressive given his resume. . Would like to see him be able to show some of his talent but it looks like a long shot.Is it two or three yrs he's been with us?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't know how long the Demuth situation is going to go on but two yrs and hardly any playing time and when he did it wasn't impressive given his resume. . Would like to see him be able to show some of his talent but it looks like a long shot.Is it two or three yrs he's been with us?
Demuth arrived as a Sophomore in UVM in 19-20 ..He is been with the Catamounts now for 3 seasons and will enter his last year in 22-23...

·
Registered
316 Posts

Sullivan
Gibson
Duncan
Deloney
Guillory
Alamutu
Ndayishimiye

Demuth
Fiorillo
Lefebvre

Projecting 22-23

Start:

Deloney
Gibson
Sullivan
Fiorillo
Transfer forward/Demuth

Rotation:

Duncan
Alamutu
Guillory
Lefebvre
Transfer forward

Depth:
Ndayishimiye
Freshman forward
Freshman Guard/forward

Powell gave us an under-appreciated toughness/strong body at forward. We don’t have anything close to that physicality on the the current/yet-to-be-finalized roster. Hoping for one or two big physical guys with some ‘edge’ for the 4 and 5, one or two athletic, stretch 3’s who can attack the basket and shoot threes. We can hope!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Powell gave us an under-appreciated toughness/strong body at forward. We don’t have anything close to that physicality on the the current/yet-to-be-finalized roster. Hoping for one or two big physical guys with some ‘edge’ for the 4 and 5, one or two athletic, stretch 3’s who can attack the basket and shoot threes. We can hope!
100% right on Powell!!...He did very well and he sacrificed his stats to get angaged in the physical game, rebounding and passing for his teammates....Inside physicality is really needed but I think that FIorillo and Lefebvre can be efficient stretch 3s...We have not seen much of Lefebvre but scouting report showed that he shot for more then 35% 3pts in HS in NC and was scouted as an athletic stretch 3 that was a good driver, passer and shooter....We all saw that Fiorillo can shoot and is also a pretty creative passer for a tall forward....These 2 would have much more to give paired with a physical 6'10'' to 7' teammate...

It's always difficult to understand why programs ask players to change their position or the way they play when they were recruited for skills and successes that they have and shown at another position....And then criticize a player or bury him in the depth chart because he does not produce at his "new" position and in his "new" role...Its hard enough to get a scholarship and do well at a position then changing position or role at a HIGHER level does not make much sense...

1 - 20 of 365 Posts