Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
461 - 480 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·

Relevant today, and to the above discussion and "who UVM beat" to land Perry Smith Jr. (Facts: they beat Alabama A&M of the SWAC, not Alabama of the SEC).
Thanks for posting this, because I had thought there was some kind of date/timeline for contacting recruits and making offers (which would make sense why you're seeing a ton of 2024 offers out there today, across all of D-1). But this has gotten very blurry over the years with the increased number of offers for 2024s, 2025s, 2026s (!!!) that have already been reported out there. There's backdoors, and everybody knows them, but this definitely clears things up.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Also, to bring it back around to this specific conversation, I don't think "Fiorillo or Smith" is a binary choice. Stylistically from what I've seen (which admittedly isn't a lot), could they not play side-by-side like Davis and Powell (a store-brand version of Davis/Powell, in this case).
This is the first thing I thought as well. If we’re fortunate enough to have a guy who can start as a freshman, the right move seems to have Nick play more of a stretch 4, which suits his game better anyway. Then you’re less likely to have to play a guard out of position.

Personally I think Nick will have a nice year either way, and I think he’s supposed to start regardless.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am in no way comparing Perry Smith to Kpedi other than their clips have the similarity of playing against smaller opponents. Kpedi's clips put me to sleep. I am excited about Perry Smith's. I just hope he makes the transition to DI quickly.

As for your " F$*#k Bryant" comment - amen, brother!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's not out of the question that Perry Smith
It's a highlight reel. Probably not really representative of how he'll play at DI. If he surpasses Nick at some point this season, that's probably a good thing for UVM, but I'll be pretty surprised if it happens.
Some of you guys act like it's a stretch that Perry Smith plays over Nick by midseason. I wouldn't be surprised at all. He looks physically ready and has a lot of upside and skill. It's not that Perry isn't raw and new to the college game, it's that Nick isn't that good. If we have to rely on Nick as our best big man, the potential of the season is lowered for me. Becker dressed Fiorillo down in the Florida tournament for being soft and playing with no confidence and he looked lost against Arkansas. He's had moments here and there as a streaky shooter who could spell Davis and Powell from time to time but, for me, he doesn't inspire a lot of faith until he shows some consistency and confidence. He tends to disappear. I'm sure Becker's aware of this and is hoping one of the freshman power forwards develops quickly.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think Nick is going to be an average UVM big. Obviously that is a step down from Davis but most of our bigs have been good against like competition and bad against power schools which has been the case for Nick. Some people just don't get the fact that there are only so many 6'9"+ guys with skills that play the game and they have better options than Burlington in February. Nick is a fine stretch big considering our level and I like him to be an impact player this season for us likely as a starter.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I’d say at this point it’s more likely to see a five-guard lineup than Perry Smith starting. Whether PSJ will overtake Fiorillo or not (doubtful) it doesn’t mean either one will start on a consistent basis.

Lamb was an anomaly and when we recruited we knew what we were getting and that he was a once-a-decade recruit for the program. Lamb was a straightforward case. He had high-major talent and skill, and wanted to play at that level, but when he went to high-majors their coaches told him he was too short and didnt make up for it in jumping ability/athleticism, so he came to Vermont. I can’t wait to see Perry Smith. I’m happily Becker recruit a full-size big that he will have to develop. But he doesn’t have Lamb’s talent or skill.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Highlight reels are just sizzle videos. doing Windmill jams with no defender within 15’ of you makes great social media content but that’s about it. I’m super excited about Perry Smith Jr but the highlight reel says nothing about his potential.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I just came for a little accountability. I was one of the many hoping for some bigger bodies for next year's team. We just saw a very small (by NBA standards), Golden State Warriors team win the NBA Finals. Granted, having Steph Curry in your backcourt makes up for some flaws, but I thought it was pretty interesting to see how well they defended. First, GS essentially took Tatum out of the Finals. If you compare Tatum's numbers in the finals versus the rest of the playoffs, that is very clear. How did they do it? They double teamed him, a lot. Trapped him in pick and rolls and brought help defense every time he got in the paint. Second, GS forced a lot of turnovers. Boston's offense, oftentimes looked very pedestrian after showing flashes of greatness earlier in the playoffs.

GS's offense was very efficient (not unlike what UVM does) and they were able to win with defensive schemes with a bunch a fairly undersized players. Would I still like some bigger bodies on UVM's roster, sure, but GS just proved having good players that work together probably matters more.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I just came for a little accountability. I was one of the many hoping for some bigger bodies for next year's team. We just saw a very small (by NBA standards), Golden State Warriors team win the NBA Finals. Granted, having Steph Curry in your backcourt makes up for some flaws, but I thought it was pretty interesting to see how well they defended. First, GS essentially took Tatum out of the Finals. If you compare Tatum's numbers in the finals versus the rest of the playoffs, that is very clear. How did they do it? They double teamed him, a lot. Trapped him in pick and rolls and brought help defense every time he got in the paint. Second, GS forced a lot of turnovers. Boston's offense, oftentimes looked very pedestrian after showing flashes of greatness earlier in the playoffs.

GS's offense was very efficient (not unlike what UVM does) and they were able to win with defensive schemes with a bunch a fairly undersized players. Would I still like some bigger bodies on UVM's roster, sure, but GS just proved having good players that work together probably matters more.
I’m always amazed at how NBA teams continue to rely on boring, ball-dominant isolation offense and half-assed defense after seeing how successful teams like the Warriors have been.

The two most enjoyable teams to watch in the last couple decades (in my opinion at least) have been the Kerr teams with Curry, Thompson and Green and the Popovich Spurs teams with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. Ball movement, good defense, good shooting, team rebounding and outstanding coaching. Plus lunch pail guys like Draymond Green and Bruce Bowen.

The point is well taken. As long as you have coaches who know how to win games and players who are willing to buy into doing whatever they need to do to help make that happen, you can definitely win with a roster that might look imperfect on paper. It’s probably even more true at the low major D1 level.

·
Premium Member
34,235 Posts
Celtics didn't get anything from White/G Williams/Horford/Pritchard outside of maybe 1 good game from each player the entire series. Tatum & Brown were facing really tough D and both forcing a lot. Tatum had 100 turnovers over the course of the playoffs, an NBA record. 24 GP, that's wild. Credit to the Warriors

For being a borderline elite NBA SG, Jaylen Brown is a total disaster handling the basketball, which speaks to how incredibly athletic he is to ascend as far as he has with such weak ball-handling skills. A lot to work on there.

Those criticisms aside, GSW were simply the better team. Curry is the best player to ever shoot a basketball and Wiggins/Poole were huge all series for the Warriors. Udoka was an amazing hire and will have the C's back in Finals.

Reactions: VT Cats Fan

·
Registered
637 Posts
He is gleague level. He will potentially get a run in summer league but not really a draft candidate.
Dunno. Benny kinda fits with the modern NBA trend - you need 7 players that can play great defense and hit 3s at a high %. Benny has always had NBA level defense. His knock was always offense. This year he shot 41.4% taking 4.9 3s a game. That includes great games against our toughest competition.

Do I think Benny will be on an NBA roster? No. But the kid has a chance and lot of NBA teams should be willing to take a look. Great character. Gotten better every year. Has great athleticism. Could be a diamond in the rough. He is the type of kid that has what it takes to fit in at any level because he does whatever it will take to win.

We need to stop selling a lot of these guys short. Lot of people though Lamb in the NBA was a pipe dream. He definitely has UVM level D and we must have a rep for turning out defensive plays. Plus., also fits the modern NBA mold - 3s and D. That has been UVMs bread and butter. He had some good games at NBA level.

Again, definitely a long shot, but I think a shot nonetheless.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dunno. Benny kinda fits with the modern NBA trend - you need 7 players that can play great defense and hit 3s at a high %. Benny has always had NBA level defense. His knock was always offense. This year he shot 41.4% taking 4.9 3s a game. That includes great games against our toughest competition.

Do I think Benny will be on an NBA roster? No. But the kid has a chance and lot of NBA teams should be willing to take a look. Great character. Gotten better every year. Has great athleticism. Could be a diamond in the rough. He is the type of kid that has what it takes to fit in at any level because he does whatever it will take to win.

We need to stop selling a lot of these guys short. Lot of people though Lamb in the NBA was a pipe dream. He definitely has UVM level D and we must have a rep for turning out defensive plays. Plus., also fits the modern NBA mold - 3s and D. That has been UVMs bread and butter. He had some good games at NBA level.

Again, definitely a long shot, but I think a shot nonetheless.
The big reason he doesn't get drafted is likely his age. If he blows up in summer league he could end up on a roster but guys that are going to be 25 year old rookies tend to have a tougher time making it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I know there was talk that Benny isn’t actually 6’2”, but if he’s actually that tall, he’d be basically the same height as Mahcus Smaht. Obviously his defense isn’t as good, but he is a better shooter than MS, and he has a similar big booty build that helps him to guard 1-4.

461 - 480 of 497 Posts