Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
481 - 497 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
The big reason he doesn't get drafted is likely his age. If he blows up in summer league he could end up on a roster but guys that are going to be 25 year old rookies tend to have a tougher time making it.
I would agree on that. Why waste draft capital on him when you can scoop him in free agency.

He should get a shot at summer league somewhere. If he takes advantage he ends up in the G league and that is where his character, hard work, taking care of the rock and solid D will pay off.

Its great timing for him to hit free agency after Gary Payton II showed how much a PG that can provide lock down D and hit open 3s can impact the game. Gabe Vincent impacted the heat. Patrick Beverley. Luguentz Dort. Bryn Forbes. Alex Caruso. T. J. McConnell. Fred Van Vleet (okay this is a big stretch but still undrafted) Etc.

Someone should scoop him for their development program.

This should wonders on the recruiting trail. Steph Smith jumps ship to play in a better league and at the time unanimous consensus is Steph > Benny. Fast forward one year and Benny is getting NBA workouts while Steph isn't. I hope Steph gets some opportunities. But, it is kinda nice when sticking around and loyalty pay off (yes, kids are free to go where they want and they really owe nothing to basketball, but still its a nice story).

The coaching staff has figured out a way to develop hard working kids. If you put in the effort here, your game will develop.

[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
By no means is this meant to diminish Ben in anyway, but just for some perspective on what an invite like this means: from what I can tell, since Memorial Day Weekend the Hornets alone have worked out just shy of 100 players, including college, G-League, and international guys.

·
Comrade Fox
2,148 Posts
By no means is this meant to diminish Ben in anyway, but just for some perspective on what an invite like this means: from what I can tell, since Memorial Day Weekend the Hornets alone have worked out just shy of 100 players, including college, G-League, and international guys.
Also we do not have a coach right now. We THOUGHT we had Atkinson before he cucked us last-second to stay in GS....

This would only happen to us. Pain.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
This should wonders on the recruiting trail. Steph Smith jumps ship to play in a better league and at the time unanimous consensus is Steph > Benny. Fast forward one year and Benny is getting NBA workouts while Steph isn't. I hope Steph gets some opportunities. But, it is kinda nice when sticking around and loyalty pay off (yes, kids are free to go where they want and they really owe nothing to basketball, but still its a nice story).

The coaching staff has figured out a way to develop hard working kids. If you put in the effort here, your game will develop.
Well, that's because Smith chose to get paid earlier and play in the CEBL right now and prep/showcase himself for Europe in the fall, so it's not really a fair comparison.

It's great to see Shungu get to say he worked out for an NBA team, but teams will work out tons of guys too. Mike Trimboli got NBA pre-draft workouts too.

Meanwhile, Ryan Davis, represented by the same agency as Shungu, hasn't seen an NBA workout.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A close source I’m hearing to Benny mentioned he’s staying in LA running pick up games and training around some league guys.

Certainly more eyes outside of Vermont and would definitely give him a chance at summer league in July.

Any exposure is good exposure.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I know there was talk that Benny isn’t actually 6’2”, but if he’s actually that tall, he’d be basically the same height as Mahcus Smaht. Obviously his defense isn’t as good, but he is a better shooter than MS, and he has a similar big booty build that helps him to guard 1-4.
Wow! You’re saying that Benny is a better shooter than the starting point guard on an NBA Finals team?!?!? That’s some serious green and gold glasses stuff right there.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's not out of the question that Perry Smith

Some of you guys act like it's a stretch that Perry Smith plays over Nick by midseason. I wouldn't be surprised at all. He looks physically ready and has a lot of upside and skill. It's not that Perry isn't raw and new to the college game, it's that Nick isn't that good. If we have to rely on Nick as our best big man, the potential of the season is lowered for me. Becker dressed Fiorillo down in the Florida tournament for being soft and playing with no confidence and he looked lost against Arkansas. He's had moments here and there as a streaky shooter who could spell Davis and Powell from time to time but, for me, he doesn't inspire a lot of faith until he shows some consistency and confidence. He tends to disappear. I'm sure Becker's aware of this and is hoping one of the freshman power forwards develops quickly.
This recently from Lee Trombley and his “14th State of Mind” blog:

Today's post marks the 400th that I have written. It has been a pretty incredible 9 years building this blog and connecting with people in the Catamount community. This week I got to swing by after the Becker basketball camp and watch the players play a little bit of pick-up. It was exciting to see the newcomers out on the court for the first time. It has been several years since Vermont has had such a big group of young players and that always adds to the excitement for next season. Even though it was only pickup and the first time this group has played together, here are a few things that jumped out at me. Perry Smith Jr. looked every bit the big time recruit. He is certainly the most highly regarded recruit that Vermont has been able to land as a freshman and looks like he will be a big part of this year's team. He is big and athletic underneath with soft touch and the ability to finish in a variety of ways. What impressed me the most was how well rounded of a player he is. Smith Jr. plays with tremendous pace and awareness on the court and is a good passer. He is comfortable on the perimeter and handling the ball in the open court. Definitely going to have a day one impact and looks to be one of the top freshman in the league. TJ Hurley also stood out with great size as a guard and incredible shooting touch. Fluid, simple mechanics and brimming with confidence, Hurley has all the makings of a big time shooter. Great feel for moving without the ball and smooth footwork in his shot preparation. Jorge Ochoa brings size and shooting ability and Jackson Skipper played with a very high motor on both ends of the court. Those are a few of the things that stood out to me in the hour or so that I watched. This team is bigger and more athletic than a typical Vermont squad and has wing depth for maybe the first time ever. With so many new players there is going to be a steep learning curve but the ceiling for this Vermont team is very high.

Lee Trombley at 11:30 AM

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·

2022-23 UVM Schedule Post (Update: 6/23)

-Presuming 16 conference games (assuming no further conference membership changes for next year).
-13 to 15 non-conference games available (depending on the presence of an MTE)

*REPORTED GAMES
1. Home vs. Toledo (per Jon Rothstein)
2. Away vs. USC (per Jon Rothstein)
3. Away vs. Cal State-Fullerton (per D1 Docket)
4. Away vs. St. Mary's (per WCAX)

*PRESUMED GAMES
5. Away vs. Colgate (Return from 2022)
6. Home vs. Northeastern (Return from 2022)
7. Away vs. Dartmouth (Scheduled In Perpetuity)
8. Away vs. Yale (Scheduled Practically In Perpetuity)

*5 to 7 non-conference games remaining

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 ·
Turned on the NBA draft, Jalen Williams just got picked and they said he was one of 11 d-1 guards that averaged 15+ ppg and 50% fg.

Had to check, but Shungu was one of those on that list. Pretty impressive to have a guard shooting 50%+ fg,

That is all.
And crazy enough, Dylan Penn would have been on that list if two of his missed FGs were makes. It was that close.

·
Registered
1 Posts

-Presuming 16 conference games (assuming no further conference membership changes for next year).

*REPORTED GAMES

*PRESUMED GAMES

Also. Member of coaching staff just told me. 3 game trip to Bahamas. Plus Mohegan Sun Nov vs. Iona. Other teams Rutgers

*REPORTED GAMES

*PRESUMED GAMES

Also going to Bahamas for 3 games. Number 1 seed because of record last year. Don't know other 7 teams. Not the Atlantis Bahamas.
Mohegan Sun play Iona. Mid November. Temple and Rutgers other 2 teams.
According to a coaching staff member.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also. Member of coaching staff just told me. 3 game trip to Bahamas. Plus Mohegan Sun Nov vs. Iona. Other teams Rutgers

Also going to Bahamas for 3 games. Number 1 seed because of record last year. Don't know other 7 teams. Not the Atlantis Bahamas.
Mohegan Sun play Iona. Mid November. Temple and Rutgers other 2 teams.
According to a coaching staff member.
Must be the Islands of the Bahamas Showcase we won in 2017.

College Hoops Today also reported the Iona game:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Must be the Islands of the Bahamas Showcase we won in 2017.

College Hoops Today also reported the Iona game:
I am excited about this developing OOC schedule for UVM. A bunch of competitive games, lots of travel/exposure elsewhere and good experience for the guys to see lots of different lineups in preparation for the regular season. GO CATS!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #497 ·
2022-23 UVM Schedule Post (Update: 6/24)

*REPORTED GAMES
5. Neutral Site (Mohegan Sun) vs. Iona (per Jon Rothstein)

*PRESUMED GAMES
6. Away vs. Colgate (Return from 2022)
7. Home vs. Northeastern (Return from 2022)
8. Away vs. Dartmouth (Scheduled In Perpetuity)
9. Away vs. Yale (Scheduled Practically In Perpetuity)

*4 to 6 non-conference games remaining

Not doubting anything else I've read here, but figured I'd wait on further confirmation (wouldn't be the first time scheduling info was correct at the time, but fell through). But obviously if the Bahamas thing is a go then we're able to play 15 non-con games instead of 13, per NCAA rules.

481 - 497 of 497 Posts