Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
541 - 560 of 615 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
How can you say this with authority? He may be very athletic, talented and whatever accolades that you'd like to heap on. He has played exactly zero game minutes for Becker. I just don't see a guy coming in to Becker's system, brand new and instantly being the go to guy. Becker rewards the guys that he trusts. Guys have to earn that. It's been that way for years.

If he is THAT good, well...good for us, but my money is on one of the guys that's been around for a while.
I am also expecting Penn to be our best player. He is an experienced college basketball player & highly talented. He wasn't an afterthought pick up, I think Becker brought him in with the intention of him being our main peice. Who else on the roster would be our main guy?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am also expecting Penn to be our best player. He is an experienced college basketball player & highly talented. He wasn't an afterthought pick up, I think Becker brought him in with the intention of him being our main peice. Who else on the roster would be our main guy?
No one else on the roster from last year has really displayed a readiness to be ‘the guy’. We lost two of them and Isaiah did not quite have the skill set to be dominant, although he was a critical player in our success. AD? He will have his moments, for sure but his diminutive size precludes dominance. RD? No reliable outside shot. Finn? He will
Bring swag for sure but does not have that take charge offensive game. Nick? I am confident he will be a significant contributor and he just keeps on getting bigger and stronger, but ‘the guy’? I don’t see it. I do expect Penn to be great and to be able to have a bunch of ‘made something out of nothing’ moments. Just hope he can defend!!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
No one else on the roster from last year has really displayed a readiness to be ‘the guy’. We lost two of them and Isaiah did not quite have the skill set to be dominant, although he was a critical player in our success. AD? He will have his moments, for sure but his diminutive size precludes dominance. RD? No reliable outside shot. Finn? He will
Bring swag for sure but does not have that take charge offensive game. Nick? I am confident he will be a significant contributor and he just keeps on getting bigger and stronger, but ‘the guy’? I don’t see it. I do expect Penn to be great and to be able to have a bunch of ‘made something out of nothing’ moments. Just hope he can defend!!
If anyone else was "ready" last year they would have been playing more. With another year under their belts and the likelihood of there being fewer players who are ahead of them in the rotation, it's seems pretty likely to me that someone emerges as a potential go to guy from the players who have been on the team for at least a year. We also know what our backcourt returns in terms of defense. With the exception of AD and to some extent, Gibson, our guards/wings are all better than average defenders, so they will get minutes. With that being said, I'm not necessarily convinced that the team needs a "guy". The foundation of Becker's offense is predicated on ball/player movement to get a high percentage shots. History has shown that it has worked quite well. UVM's offense is consistently one of the most efficient in the league, if not all mid majors.

I could certainly envision Penn being used in pick and roll/pop sets given his apparent ability to get in the paint, similarly to how Shungu was used in late game sets, but from what I've read so far, he's not as much of a threat from 3 as Shungu was. Perhaps that will change, who knows?

As I've already said, I hope that Penn emerges as one of the most important players. If that happens, we'll be pretty good. I just hate counting my chickens before they hatch.

·
Premium Member
34,265 Posts
If Dylan Penn can hit his floaters in the AE the same way he did in ASun (read: likely) then he'll average 12ppg at minimum for UVM next season without much difficulty.

Reactions: Another#+%*nUVMfan

·
Registered
228 Posts
I may be the last to see this, but I see UVM is playing McGill on August 13th at McGill. You'll need to get signed up with the Canada Arrive app to get across the border. It involves uploading your vaccination info. Not to be done the day of travel. CBP will turn you back if you are not all set and approved in advance. Getting back in the USA is the usual, just a passport or enhanced license.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I am really glad you posted that. I am taking my daughter across the country to see Burlington and am planning to take her to Montreal for a day trip and was unaware of Canada's app. I just checked into it and they just released a new version which their website says travelers need to have.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are we in on some kind of group travel plan with Oakland? Two years in a row now. By 2023 we'll be going in on a timeshare together.

2022-23 UVM Schedule Post (Update: 6/27)

-Presuming 16 conference games (assuming no further conference membership changes for next year).
-15 non-conference games available (based on the presence of an MTE)

*REPORTED GAMES
1. Home vs. Toledo (per Jon Rothstein)
2. Away vs. USC (per Jon Rothstein)
3. Away vs. Cal State-Fullerton (per D1 Docket)
4. Away vs. St. Mary's (per WCAX)
5. Neutral Site (Mohegan Sun) vs. Iona (per Jon Rothstein)
6. Baha Mar Nassau Tournament (per Jeff Goodman)
7. Baha Mar Nassau Tournament (per Jeff Goodman)
8. Baha Mar Nassau Tournament (per Jeff Goodman)

*PRESUMED GAMES
9. Away vs. Colgate (Return from 2022)
10. Home vs. Northeastern (Return from 2022)
11. Away vs. Dartmouth (Scheduled In Perpetuity)
12. Away vs. Yale (Scheduled Practically In Perpetuity)

*3 non-conference games remaining
Per D1 Docket the return game @ Colgate is confirmed for December 10th.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks - new to the thread, but have been reading posts for the past few months and have been a fan of UVM basketball for the past 10-15 years and have followed recruiting for the last 3-4. Figured I'd give my take on the roster for next year since just about everyone else here has.

Returning Players (with experience)
  • Finn Sullivan: Has to be a lock to start, if he can recapture the shooting touch from early in conference play last year then has a chance to be all-league, if not, he still has a high basketball IQ, defends well, and plays with high energy. Plays with lots of emotion so confidence is key. In the away NJIT game last year had lots of swagger, other games where he had lost his shot/made a mistake he seemed lost.
  • Robin Duncan: Wouldn't be surprised if he starts early in the year just due to experience, but should command somewhere in the ballpark of 20 minutes per game either way, maybe more, maybe less. We know what we're getting, 'nuff said.
  • Nick Fiorillo: I'm optimistic on the trajectory here, my guess is he'll start/command minutes out of the gate, but in a perfect world would slot in as the 4 as opposed to the 5. He'll do the job against low/mid major opponents but wasn't effective against high majors. If he's our big, then so be it, but we'll have trouble out of conference/in the tourney if so.
  • Aaron Deloney: I was high on AD coming out of HS but hasn't thrived as I hoped he might. He has every opportunity to start but I see him more as a 6th man than anything else. Plays well for his size but I'd prefer a starting PG with a bit more length. He gets his shots up in limited minutes so I don't know what playing him 25-30 minutes a game would look like, thinking he'd be most effective around the 20 minute mark.
  • Kam Gibson: Hot take, but sit him for all I care. We don't owe him anything, and he shoots it far too much (and from far too deep) for a guy his talent level. If we have give minutes to Kam or a freshman, I'm choosing the freshman all day, just to reduce the likelihood that a young guy transfers away. There's probably an argument to be made that its a bad look to bring a transfer in and then sit him his senior year, but Kam doesn't fit our mold.
Transfers
  • Dylan Penn: I could be dead wrong, but I can't believe all the "hate" Penn is getting in here. Sure the guy can't shoot, but you don't get looks from Purdue unless you're a damn good player, and averaging 17/4/5 while shooting 50% and 72% from the stripe seems to fit that mold. Penn has to be a lock to start from day one, hands down, period, end of story. And if we want to talk play against high majors, he averaged 18/4/5 while shooting 47% and 88% from the stripe against Purdue/St Mary's/Gonzaga/UCLA/West Virginia. 'Nuff said.
  • Matt Veretto: I'm optimistic he can give us depth minutes, worst case scenario he makes guys work in practice and can fill in if we catch the injury bug. Best-case scenario he serves an energizer bunny role (think Bailey Patella). He's got length, can jump, rebound, and has a high motor. Those are all things you can keep even while being away from D1 basketball. If he can command 10 minutes a game (in the right spots) to take the load off our starters then this was a great move by the coaching staff.
  • Ileri Ayo-Faleye: Seems like a project/depth guy to me at the moment, I'm optimistic he can develop into a starter with his length but don't know if that will be from day one. If he can shoot it at a high clip then this was a dream find. If we want to get away from starting three (point) guards then he could be our guy.
Freshman/Redshirts
  • Sam Alamutu: I was super high on him based on recruiting, but highlight tapes are highlight tapes. I'm not totally sold that the reason he red-shirted is purely because he wasn't good enough though, there weren't many minutes to go around at guard last year so I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the conversation. The biggest question mark for me is his motor - if he plays hard then I think he gets pretty good minutes as a guy that can develop into our lead guard. I don't care if he can't shoot the three, but might be good to pair him with someone besides Penn if that's the case.
  • Perry Smith Jr.: Can we stop it with the Ra Kpedi/Georges Lefebvre comparisons? The kid can play and has a better body/hops than either of the two before stepping into a college weight room. He'll have every chance to start, and I hope he does just to prove the nay-sayers wrong. Sure, maybe he got over-recruited as an underclassmen but he still is (in my opinion) the most impressive freshman recruit we've landed. I'm not saying he'll walk on campus and be Anthony Lamb, but how often do we get a guy like this as a freshman? Oh wait, this is the first time...
  • Jorge Ochoa: This is my Anthony Lamb comparison, right here. I don't think we'll see it from day one, but based on play style he seems like a second coming of #3 (I'm not saying he'll be as good, just saying they have similar styles). Again, another guy we snatched from teams who we typically wouldn't recruit against, so I'm excited to see what he can do. Maybe he starts later in the year, maybe he doesn't. If we start Ochoa at the 4 and Smith at the 5 then that's a win in my book.
  • T.J. Hurley: Love the future here, wouldn't be shocked if he redshirts this year given the experience we have at guard. Unless he can shoot it well enough to command a good 10-15 minutes on a consistent basis we might as well redshirt to save him a year of eligibility. This is where the Gibson vs. Hurley discussions could come in. I'd rather redshirt Hurley, but if we need to shut down Gibson to stop Hurley from leaving in the portal then so be it, that's college basketball these days.
  • Jackson Skipper: Don't know a ton here, my guess is Ileri and Jackson will be battling it out for minutes/could fit the same role on the team. Wouldn't be shocked if we see a redshirt here, but also has the length to be great if he plays hard, does all the right things, and can shoot it. I'm giving the nod to Ileri when it comes to playing time just due to the fact that he went up against URI's starters as compared to Jackson going up against high school guys. Nonetheless, excited to see what he could develop into, and hoping the redshirt/single digit minutes doesn't scare him off into the transfer portal
  • Michel Ndayishimiye: Don't expect much if anything here, anything he gives us is free money. Hoping he continues to play hard in practice and could earn some minutes later in his career. Not everyone is Ben Shungu, so I don't love those comparisons. Doesn't seem fair to what we should realistically be expecting from Michel.

Feel free to rake me over the coals if anything I've said is blasphemous...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
No new games, per se. But worth bumping again because D1 Docket is reporting both the Colgate game as well as the Yale game.

2022-23 UVM Schedule Post (Update: 7/10)

-16 conference games

*REPORTED GAMES
9. Away vs. Colgate (per D1 Docket, return from 2022)
10. Away vs. Yale (per D1 Docket, series renewed practically in perpetuity)

*PRESUMED GAMES
11. Home vs. Northeastern (Return from 2022)
12. Away vs. Dartmouth (Scheduled In Perpetuity)

·
Registered
401 Posts
So it looks like we have 2 non conference home games scheduled plus presumably our d3 beatdown? Hopefully we can get at least one more at home vs Harvard or sienna or something like that

·
Registered
360 Posts
No new games, per se. But worth bumping again because D1 Docket is reporting both the Colgate game as well as the Yale game.

2022-23 UVM Schedule Post (Update: 7/10)

-16 conference games

*REPORTED GAMES

*PRESUMED GAMES
11. Home vs. Northeastern (Return from 2022)
12. Away vs. Dartmouth (Scheduled In Perpetuity)

Man, that’s a ton of away games. Bummer for us fans.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #553 ·
Just for reference, I went back and looked at our non-con schedules from the last 10 seasons where we had non-con games (so, not 2020-21). Just to get a feel what the count on home games usually is from year to year (not counting exhibitions)...

22: 4
20: 6
19: 7
18: 3
17: 6
16: 5
15: 6
14: 4
13: 6*
12: 6*

(*includes home game awarded as part of the BracketBuster event)

Obviously a lot depends on what happens with those remaining open spots: if we manage to get 3 more home games out of it (with one most likely a sub-D1 game), we're looking at a fairly typical year. Anything less, and you could certainly consider it a lighter-than-normal schedule. More than that, you're talking about potentially the fewest number of non-con home games in consecutive seasons that we've had in a while. The lighter years in the past are usually sandwiched between years that were heavier on home games (based on the flow of home-and-home deals, etc.).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi folks - new to the thread, but have been reading posts for the past few months and have been a fan of UVM basketball for the past 10-15 years and have followed recruiting for the last 3-4. Figured I'd give my take on the roster for next year since just about everyone else here has.

Returning Players (with experience)
  • Finn Sullivan: Has to be a lock to start, if he can recapture the shooting touch from early in conference play last year then has a chance to be all-league, if not, he still has a high basketball IQ, defends well, and plays with high energy. Plays with lots of emotion so confidence is key. In the away NJIT game last year had lots of swagger, other games where he had lost his shot/made a mistake he seemed lost.
  • Robin Duncan: Wouldn't be surprised if he starts early in the year just due to experience, but should command somewhere in the ballpark of 20 minutes per game either way, maybe more, maybe less. We know what we're getting, 'nuff said.
  • Nick Fiorillo: I'm optimistic on the trajectory here, my guess is he'll start/command minutes out of the gate, but in a perfect world would slot in as the 4 as opposed to the 5. He'll do the job against low/mid major opponents but wasn't effective against high majors. If he's our big, then so be it, but we'll have trouble out of conference/in the tourney if so.
  • Aaron Deloney: I was high on AD coming out of HS but hasn't thrived as I hoped he might. He has every opportunity to start but I see him more as a 6th man than anything else. Plays well for his size but I'd prefer a starting PG with a bit more length. He gets his shots up in limited minutes so I don't know what playing him 25-30 minutes a game would look like, thinking he'd be most effective around the 20 minute mark.
  • Kam Gibson: Hot take, but sit him for all I care. We don't owe him anything, and he shoots it far too much (and from far too deep) for a guy his talent level. If we have give minutes to Kam or a freshman, I'm choosing the freshman all day, just to reduce the likelihood that a young guy transfers away. There's probably an argument to be made that its a bad look to bring a transfer in and then sit him his senior year, but Kam doesn't fit our mold.
Transfers
  • Dylan Penn: I could be dead wrong, but I can't believe all the "hate" Penn is getting in here. Sure the guy can't shoot, but you don't get looks from Purdue unless you're a damn good player, and averaging 17/4/5 while shooting 50% and 72% from the stripe seems to fit that mold. Penn has to be a lock to start from day one, hands down, period, end of story. And if we want to talk play against high majors, he averaged 18/4/5 while shooting 47% and 88% from the stripe against Purdue/St Mary's/Gonzaga/UCLA/West Virginia. 'Nuff said.
  • Matt Veretto: I'm optimistic he can give us depth minutes, worst case scenario he makes guys work in practice and can fill in if we catch the injury bug. Best-case scenario he serves an energizer bunny role (think Bailey Patella). He's got length, can jump, rebound, and has a high motor. Those are all things you can keep even while being away from D1 basketball. If he can command 10 minutes a game (in the right spots) to take the load off our starters then this was a great move by the coaching staff.
  • Ileri Ayo-Faleye: Seems like a project/depth guy to me at the moment, I'm optimistic he can develop into a starter with his length but don't know if that will be from day one. If he can shoot it at a high clip then this was a dream find. If we want to get away from starting three (point) guards then he could be our guy.
Freshman/Redshirts
  • Sam Alamutu: I was super high on him based on recruiting, but highlight tapes are highlight tapes. I'm not totally sold that the reason he red-shirted is purely because he wasn't good enough though, there weren't many minutes to go around at guard last year so I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the conversation. The biggest question mark for me is his motor - if he plays hard then I think he gets pretty good minutes as a guy that can develop into our lead guard. I don't care if he can't shoot the three, but might be good to pair him with someone besides Penn if that's the case.
  • Perry Smith Jr.: Can we stop it with the Ra Kpedi/Georges Lefebvre comparisons? The kid can play and has a better body/hops than either of the two before stepping into a college weight room. He'll have every chance to start, and I hope he does just to prove the nay-sayers wrong. Sure, maybe he got over-recruited as an underclassmen but he still is (in my opinion) the most impressive freshman recruit we've landed. I'm not saying he'll walk on campus and be Anthony Lamb, but how often do we get a guy like this as a freshman? Oh wait, this is the first time...
  • Jorge Ochoa: This is my Anthony Lamb comparison, right here. I don't think we'll see it from day one, but based on play style he seems like a second coming of #3 (I'm not saying he'll be as good, just saying they have similar styles). Again, another guy we snatched from teams who we typically wouldn't recruit against, so I'm excited to see what he can do. Maybe he starts later in the year, maybe he doesn't. If we start Ochoa at the 4 and Smith at the 5 then that's a win in my book.
  • T.J. Hurley: Love the future here, wouldn't be shocked if he redshirts this year given the experience we have at guard. Unless he can shoot it well enough to command a good 10-15 minutes on a consistent basis we might as well redshirt to save him a year of eligibility. This is where the Gibson vs. Hurley discussions could come in. I'd rather redshirt Hurley, but if we need to shut down Gibson to stop Hurley from leaving in the portal then so be it, that's college basketball these days.
  • Jackson Skipper: Don't know a ton here, my guess is Ileri and Jackson will be battling it out for minutes/could fit the same role on the team. Wouldn't be shocked if we see a redshirt here, but also has the length to be great if he plays hard, does all the right things, and can shoot it. I'm giving the nod to Ileri when it comes to playing time just due to the fact that he went up against URI's starters as compared to Jackson going up against high school guys. Nonetheless, excited to see what he could develop into, and hoping the redshirt/single digit minutes doesn't scare him off into the transfer portal
  • Michel Ndayishimiye: Don't expect much if anything here, anything he gives us is free money. Hoping he continues to play hard in practice and could earn some minutes later in his career. Not everyone is Ben Shungu, so I don't love those comparisons. Doesn't seem fair to what we should realistically be expecting from Michel.

Feel free to rake me over the coals if anything I've said is blasphemous...

·
Registered
138 Posts
One could argue that of the returning players, Kam is the best shooter from deep. Kam took his lumps last year, but he hung in there and did not transfer out. I hope he has a huge senior year. At the very least, I expect him to be in the rotation. Perhaps he has built up some trust with Becker after last season.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Courageous Catamanica,

Your comments on one of the players is cowardly and abusive. These young men are our guests. They come to Vermont for an education and an athletic experience. Some meet their athletic aspirations others don't. But they all have the courage to be in the arena.

I am grateful for the opportunity to enjoy good basketball in Vermont. These players add to the quality of life here. Hopefully they will all feel good about their time with us and some will choose to stay after graduating.

I hope you will reconsider your abuse of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Courageous Catamanica,

Your comments on one of the players is cowardly and abusive. These young men are our guests. They come to Vermont for an education and an athletic experience. Some meet their athletic aspirations others don't. But they all have the courage to be in the arena.

I am grateful for the opportunity to enjoy good basketball in Vermont. These players add to the quality of life here. Hopefully they will all feel good about their time with us and some will choose to stay after graduating.

I hope you will reconsider your abuse of them.
Are you talking about Kam?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 ·
Tom Brennan says we're playing Brown, so we're playing Brown (that had also been insinuated by another poster a little while back)...

So I'm guessing this is effectively the start of a new home-and-home? Because I would have figured that the preseason exhibition we played with them (Taylor/TJ Night) and last year's game at Brown would have fulfilled one series. So maybe BTV in November 2022, at Brown in Winter 2023?

2022-23 UVM Schedule Post (Update: 7/12)

-16 conference games

*REPORTED GAMES
11. Home vs. Brown (per Tom Brennan)

*PRESUMED GAMES
12. Home vs. Northeastern (Return from 2022)
13. Away vs. Dartmouth (Scheduled In Perpetuity)

*2 non-conference games remaining

541 - 560 of 615 Posts