Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
561 - 580 of 615 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,265 Posts
Has anyone seen a date out there for the USC game?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
So I'm guessing this is effectively the start of a new home-and-home? Because I would have figured that the preseason exhibition we played with them (Taylor/TJ Night) and last year's game at Brown would have fulfilled one series. So maybe BTV in November 2022, at Brown in Winter 2023?
It's a new series starting last year, because the agreement was they'd start a new series starting last year in Providence after coming up for the exhibition game. That's how I interpreted it.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 ·
It's a new series starting last year, because the agreement was they'd start a new series starting last year in Providence after coming up for the exhibition game. That's how I interpreted it.
Interesting. I would have thought that the exhibition was included, but that might have been a standalone thing after all. I'm glad they decided to keep it going, and am surprised we haven't played them more over the years as it is.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Looks like Perry Smith is in a sling unless I’m mistaken.

Does anyone know what happened? is he injured or did he have surgery? Very very concerning.
Yes, if I pinned my hope for a successful season on a Freshman, I would be very concerned. :rolleyes:

It's the middle of July, even if it is or was surgery, I'd think that he'd be ready to go by November or December.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 ·
Alex Abrami with a great "In case you were out enjoying your summer like a normal person, here's what you missed" update on the team for the summer. Not a lot in here that most of us probably didn't already know or learn (except for that Perry Smith Sling Update, "bruised that shoulder from all them dunkz, amirite?!"). Probably the most interesting/practical nugget is that we are NOT playing Northeastern this year. Sounds like we're still looking for a money game, plus a sub-D1 home game (Hello Lyndon, my old friend...). The math still leaves us one short, hopefully another home-and-home we can start at home.

·
Premium Member
34,265 Posts
Would like to have gotten more of an update on the Canada trip; saves me from having to Google Ottawa Gee Gee's mens basketball schedule and the like.

Also, timing-wise it's basically right around the corner. Next month.

Reactions: c00per

·
Registered
10 Posts
Courageous Catamanica,

Your comments on one of the players is cowardly and abusive. These young men are our guests. They come to Vermont for an education and an athletic experience. Some meet their athletic aspirations others don't. But they all have the courage to be in the arena.

I am grateful for the opportunity to enjoy good basketball in Vermont. These players add to the quality of life here. Hopefully they will all feel good about their time with us and some will choose to stay after graduating.

I hope you will reconsider your abuse of them.
What are you on about?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Some highlights from the article for those that didn't want to pay the buck:

The staff seems to recognize that he may be a bit of a long shot, but also that they are thin in the front court. He's slated to be a pick and pop 4. UVM recruited him out of high school, so they had him on their radar. He's rehabbing plantar fasciitis but Becker suggested that he has time to get right and he also thought that if it were the season now, he'd play through it.

Becker said that in his experience, smart, tough, hard-working guys tend to be successful. (That's all I need to know)

UVM applied for a waiver to get him a second season at UVM.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·
UVM applied for a waiver to get him a second season at UVM.
Which I imagine, if pursued thoroughly, he'd receive. It's weird to talk about next year when we're still like 3-4 months away from this year, but if Veretto sticks around for a second year he might be someone to look at in terms of increasing his role/impact on the team. Because we know he has some skills. He was a solid player for Delaware in 2019 as a freshman. The biggest question mark with him is how 3 years away from D-1 hoops has affected his game skill-wise, timing-wise, conditioning-wise, etc. But if he can get a year under his belt, stay healthy, get back in game condition, now you've got a physically-mature 6th-year guy with a little size and some ability to shoot from the perimeter.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Which I imagine, if pursued thoroughly, he'd receive. It's weird to talk about next year when we're still like 3-4 months away from this year, but if Veretto sticks around for a second year he might be someone to look at in terms of increasing his role/impact on the team. Because we know he has some skills. He was a solid player for Delaware in 2019 as a freshman. The biggest question mark with him is how 3 years away from D-1 hoops has affected his game skill-wise, timing-wise, conditioning-wise, etc. But if he can get a year under his belt, stay healthy, get back in game condition, now you've got a physically-mature 6th-year guy with a little size and some ability to shoot from the perimeter.
Yes, I believe that article also said that, he was skinny and out of basketball shape when he came for his workout, which was expected, but since then he has put on 20 pounds.

Becker also said that he expected him to have a role on this year's team. I suppose its yet to be determined what that role is - I mean, a bench guy is a role, right???

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I mean, a bench guy is a role, right???
Whole lotta options:
AEPOY
Bench Guy
Bench Guy/Lead Hype-man
3-point Threat
Practice Player
6th Man
Towel Washer

I think you're only allowed to have one BRSOB (basketball retiree still on the bench) like Skyler Nash and it sounds like DeMuth has that position next year.

561 - 580 of 615 Posts