Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
581 - 600 of 615 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Something interesting to note is that Burlington High School is playing their basketball games/holding practices this year at Patrick. No official announcement yet, but pretty sure it's a done deal. This was kind of projected when the city announced plans for a new building to be built at the site of the current HS, which is being demolished because of high levels of chemicals (PCBs). The students have been going to school at an old Macy's for the last 2-3 years or something. (There is a line about renting gym space in this article: Burlington School Board selects $181 million design for new high school)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Something interesting to note is that Burlington High School is playing their basketball games/holding practices this year at Patrick. No official announcement yet, but pretty sure it's a done deal. This was kind of projected when the city announced plans for a new building to be built at the site of the current HS, which is being demolished because of high levels of chemicals (PCBs). The students have been going to school at an old Macy's for the last 2-3 years or something. (There is a line about renting gym space in this article: Burlington School Board selects $181 million design for new high school)
Cool experience for local kids to play games at Patrick Gym. Normally you'd only get the opportunity if you made it to the semi's/champsionship.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
BHS practices and games have been added to the Patrick Gym facility schedule, so looks like that will be moving forward.

Patrick Gym is gonna be real busy this winter.

·
Registered
360 Posts
He was last year too.
Yes. He was a stud in HS. Looking forward to what he can bring other than a significant physical presence. Last year he was identified by Becker, along with Guillory, as ‘the future of UVM basketball’. I am hopeful to see the fruits of his labors while waiting in the wings.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
BHS practices and games have been added to the Patrick Gym facility schedule, so looks like that will be moving forward.

Patrick Gym is gonna be real busy this winter.
If it was it isn't there anymore (I believe you, and if someone from UVM saw the posts on it and deleted it, that's hilarious). Given the construction is going to be starting up and there is really nowhere else they can go that meets the standards they need for the right size, I am still pretty sure it is happening. I don't know that they'll simply go play at one of the middle school gyms. I'm pretty sure one doesn't even have bleachers (Edmunds) Could sit here and litigate how multiple mayoral administrations failed to do anything to keep Memorial Auditorium viable because that would have been the easiest fix, but oh well.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #592 ·
If it was it isn't there anymore (I believe you, and if someone from UVM saw the posts on it and deleted it, that's hilarious). Given the construction is going to be starting up and there is really nowhere else they can go that meets the standards they need for the right size, I am still pretty sure it is happening. I don't know that they'll simply go play at one of the middle school gyms. I'm pretty sure one doesn't even have bleachers (Edmunds) Could sit here and litigate how multiple mayoral administrations failed to do anything to keep Memorial Auditorium viable because that would have been the easiest fix, but oh well.
Ha! Yes, it was definitely there (pretty clearly labeled "BHS Basketball Practice/Game/Etc.") but it has definitely been scrubbed. Gotta guard the state secrets!

But you're right, their options are fairly limited. I suppose they could use one of the middle school gyms (preferably Edmunds because of location) for practice, but are those courts even regulation length? Not sure I've been in Edmunds Middle School since...middle school? I suppose beyond that you could try to rotate games among nearby high schools on their respective off nights (Winooski, Colchester, SB...dare I say, Rice?). But Patrick would certainly be the first, second, and third best options for them.

·
Premium Member
34,265 Posts
Reactions: Chance11 and jtmac

·
Registered
360 Posts
Very interesting & well-written article on Dylan Penn:

Love reading Becker’s thoughts. Great detail which lends further excitement re the upcoming season. Bring on more of these player features and the coach’s perspective!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Love reading Becker’s thoughts. Great detail which lends further excitement re the upcoming season. Bring on more of these player features and the coach’s perspective!!!
Penn looks like he might be all world at outdoor hoops. A breeze, bent rim, steel backboard, grab ass defense, no problem. He got next next.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I probably won’t get a lot of agreement on this comment, but Penn kind of reminds me of TBH the way he penetrates and puts up those mid range floaters. They are at first cringe-worthy as the ball first rolls of his fingers (due to the off-balance awkwardness of the shot), but then as it drops into the basket so softly it becomes a thing of beauty. Penn is just bigger and a little bit craftier than Bell-Haynes, and more physical on the defensive end.

Probably one of TBH’s best attributes was his decisiveness and confidence. This was both Benny’s and Ryan’s weakness. They both have zero ego and are entirely team-first, but sometimes they took the “unselfish basketball” thing too far such that they give up great opportunities because they wanted to get an opportunity for their teammates. Penn will bring back that leadership and decisiveness TBH had.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I probably won’t get a lot of agreement on this comment, but Penn kind of reminds me of TBH the way he penetrates and puts up those mid range floaters. They are at first cringe-worthy as the ball first rolls of his fingers (due to the off-balance awkwardness of the shot), but then as it drops into the basket so softly it becomes a thing of beauty. Penn is just bigger and a little bit craftier than Bell-Haynes, and more physical on the defensive end.

Probably one of TBH’s best attributes was his decisiveness and confidence. This was both Benny’s and Ryan’s weakness. They both have zero ego and are entirely team-first, but sometimes they took the “unselfish basketball” thing too far such that they give up great opportunities because they wanted to get an opportunity for their teammates. Penn will bring back that leadership and decisiveness TBH had.
I think a key to Penn’s effectiveness offensively will be if we have guys on the perimeter who he can dish to (and score), if the defense is overly focussed on him. Yet, he clearly is a guy who can create off the dribble very effectively…something the CATS have often lacked.

581 - 600 of 615 Posts