Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1161 - 1180 of 1232 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Albany is closer to him by about an hour, which I'm guessing means he either grew up a Syracuse or Albany fan - either way that's not great for us. That's also a town over from where Jimmer Fredette and Joe Girard III grew up - seems like we should be doing some more recruiting there.
Vermont recruited Fredette - until he made it clear that he was BYU bound. I got this info directly from the coaching staff. I'm sure they had Girard on their radar as well.

· Registered
56 Posts
Went back the previous 10 years to find which players came from upstate NY (or NY in general). This is just incoming freshmen not transfers.

12-13
None

13-14
Nas Williams (NYC - Not upstate but NY)

14-15
None

15-16
None

16-17
Anthony Lamb (Rochester - Upstate NY)
Kian Dalyrimple (Dix Hills - Not upstate but NY)

17-18
None

18-19
Isaiah Powell (Albany - Upstate NY)

19-20
None

20-21
None

21-22
None

22-23
Seth Joba (Orchard Park - Upstate NY)

While I'm sure scouting/recruiting the area is a priority for Vermont, I am somewhat surprised to see only four players (five if you count Joba) from NY find their way to Burlington. Coach Tibbs certainly helped lure the likes of Lamb and Powell and maybe if he was still here the Cats would've landed Beagle. Hopefully Joba's recruitment is a sign of things to come. More NY players!

· Premium Member
34,712 Posts
Sandro & Voelkel were both from Westchester County as well. Feel like we've always done a good job recruiting New York.

But, find good players anywhere.

· Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,168 ·
Please remind me: What happened with Kian? Don't recall him doing anything.
He was a real late add in the recruiting process that year. Like, maybe last guy signed? Redshirted, by design. Then transferred out. Played a year in JUCO, I think. Then ended up at New Haven, but only for like a semester. Not sure whatever happened to him beyond that. But just never clicked.

· Registered
4,295 Posts
From what I saw in the NJIT game, UVM is playing together at both ends. I was concerned about the offense, but several players have found their game in the last week or two and the passing has been outstanding. Sullivan seemed to be in a funk, but that has gone away completely. Duncan, Hurley, Penn, Veretto, Deloney, IAF and Gibson have been very dependable. This season is going to be competitive right to the wire.

· Registered
3,518 Posts
From what I saw in the NJIT game, UVM is playing together at both ends. I was concerned about the offense, but several players have found their game in the last week or two and the passing has been outstanding. Sullivan seemed to be in a funk, but that has gone away completely. Duncan, Hurley, Penn, Veretto, Deloney, IAF and Gibson have been very dependable. This season is going to be competitive right to the wire.
Bad teams have a way of making you look good. Yes, UVM looked pretty decent at both ends of the floor, but there is a reason that NJIT is at the bottom of the league. The question that we all need answered is can UVM execute and deliver against the better teams in the league.

· Premium Member
34,712 Posts
Feels like there's still a million games to be played, and this team needs to take one game at a time.

As far as W/L, I think a lot is going to depend on any injuries, as we've seen.

I mean, playing UML w/out Sullivan & Hurley is not nearly the same as playing UML with them. Sullivan is probably our best overall player on both sides of ball and those are our two best shooters, not to mention providing a combined 23ppg in conference play (Sullivan 14/Hurley 9)
If we have those two first time against UML is it a different game? I think so.

· Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,177 ·
Ok Cats fans, first half of the season is almost complete with two conference losses. Do the Cats complete the remainder of the season with over or under 1.5 losses?
I’m taking the over
Based on how things have gone thus far, I think 6-2 in the back half is a reasonable goal. That would put us at 12-4/11-5, depending on what happens Saturday with UMBC.

12-4 might also be good enough to win the league outright this year.

· Registered
3,518 Posts
Feels like there's still a million games to be played, and this team needs to take one game at a time.

As far as W/L, I think a lot is going to depend on any injuries, as we've seen.

I mean, playing UML w/out Sullivan & Hurley is not nearly the same as playing UML with them. Sullivan is probably our best overall player on both sides of ball and those are our two best shooters, not to mention providing a combined 23ppg in conference play (Sullivan 14/Hurley 9)
If we have those two first time against UML is it a different game? I think so.
So, you're taking the over???

I don't disagree about Finn being the best overall player, but I think that Robin should get some consideration for MVP. Yeah, I know that he doesn't score a lot, but he defends out of position pretty effectively, is a tenacious rebounder and is a very solid point guard when he plays it. His experience and poise is invaluable.

· Registered
36 Posts
I am ready to apologize to all the people who said Veretto for POY and I scoffed at them. I am ready to admit he is really good. Maybe not POY good, but much better than I expected.
Okay so maybe the POY dreams were a bit high for this year, but next year Veretto has got to be a lock for AE POY. In all seriousness though, he could easily make an all conference team if he keeps playing the way he does and makes strides next year. Can't deny that he was a great pickup by the staff.

1161 - 1180 of 1232 Posts