Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it didn't need its own thread, but was looking for something that wasn't the Coaching Carousel thread where we could drop news about any staff changes in the AE for the upcoming season. I know some schools have made some changes in the off-season. We can get caught up on the other moves later. But I just saw this come across which I thought was of interest...

Could be an interesting move for him. Usually when people are being "targeted" it's very likely already going to happen. I hope he kills it there.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Brand new coach with a year under his HC belt loses all his assistant coaches, except his DBO, in a critical year to his career and with apparently oodles of talent coming back.

Discuss.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Brand new coach with a year under his HC belt loses all his assistant coaches, except his DBO, in a critical year to his career and with apparently oodles of talent coming back.

Discuss.
I'd like to be the first to congratulate Dwayne Killings on his new job: assistant coach at La Salle University for the 2023-24 season.

·
Premium Member
34,261 Posts

Discuss.
Stuff was weird last year w/ Killings similarly to how it was weird w/ Becker that led to assistants moving on that maybe otherwise wouldn't have(?)

But- Notre Dame AC job> Albany AC job. That move happens 11/10 regardless.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Not comparable to say guys who move on to new opportunities after 7-10+ years at one job is the same as an entire coaching staff leaving after year one, with only one of those taking the no brainer job offer. One of the assistants went back to coaching like NAIA or something, right? Having to do a full staff reset after year one is going to raise a lot more flags than what happened to UVM last year (at this level UVM was lucky to retain its staff for as long as it did)

Killings was this close to being fired over the allegations he hit a player. That's not the same as someone realizing they aren't getting the HC job because the current coach isn't going anywhere and that plays a role in leaving among other factors (Cieplicki), or another leaving because they were down the pecking order in the assistant coach hierarchy and it was going to stay that way as long as they were there. For that person (Tibbs), good on them leveraging it into Albany and now Notre Dame.

Just a word of advice to Tibbs: you have to bring back a much higher percentage of prospects to your coach that your team can actually get after the AAU evaluation period. Margins are a lot thinner in the ACC, and lucking into one guy who made your bones for your entire assistant coaching career thus far won't get you that far with the big boys.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Stuff was weird last year w/ Killings similarly to how it was weird w/ Becker that led to assistants moving on that maybe otherwise wouldn't have(?)

But- Notre Dame AC job> Albany AC job. That move happens 11/10 regardless.
Agreed on both points.

On background, I heard many assistants were not comfortable with the situation last year and how it might impact their job status. Whether that is true, I don't know. But my eyebrows are raised. Hoping DK can find a good new staff and move on from this...

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Not comparable to say guys who move on to new opportunities after 7-10+ years at one job is the same as an entire coaching staff leaving after year one, with only one of those taking the no brainer job offer. One of the assistants went back to coaching like NAIA or something, right? Having to do a full staff reset after year one is going to raise a lot more flags than what happened to UVM last year (at this level UVM was lucky to retain its staff for as long as it did)

Killings was this close to being fired over the allegations he hit a player. That's not the same as someone realizing they aren't getting the HC job because the current coach isn't going anywhere and that plays a role in leaving among other factors (Cieplicki), or another leaving because they were down the pecking order in the assistant coach hierarchy and it was going to stay that way as long as they were there. For that person (Tibbs), good on them leveraging it into Albany and now Notre Dame.

Just a word of advice to Tibbs: you have to bring back a much higher percentage of prospects to your coach that your team can actually get after the AAU evaluation period. Margins are a lot thinner in the ACC, and lucking into one guy who made your bones for your entire assistant coaching career thus far won't get you that far with the big boys.
Excellent points, and i honestly don't know what ND is thinking. Tibbs is far from proven for that job.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of the assistants went back to coaching like NAIA or something, right?
Dannton Jackson just became the head coach at Talladega (NAIA). Before diving into the D-1 assistant ranks at UAB, he had been head coach at Xavier-New Orleans (also NAIA) for over a decade, so regardless of any change in the situation at Albany this might actually be a better fit/more comfortable and familiar spot for him.

·
Premium Member
34,261 Posts
Comparable in that for moments in time there was likely uncertainty whether both coaches would keep their jobs.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bobby Jordan (Wagner assistant last season) is headed to the Albany staff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts