Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
301 - 320 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Just for fun I put "[AE Team] transfer" into Twitter so we can all see who our respective teams might whiff on in the transfer portal to the best of my abilities. As far as I can tell none of the players have committed elsewhere, so enjoy and have fun speculating if these guys are "good gets" or not.

Devale Johnson - Kent State (Lowell)
Lu'Cye Patterson - Missouri State (Lowell)
Quest Aldridge - Belmont Abbey (D2) (Lowell)
RayQuawndis Mitchell - UIC (Bryant, Lowell)
Mounir Hima - Duquense (New Hampshire)
Rahsaan Edwards - South Carolina State (New Hampshire)
Collin Warren - McNeese (New Hampshire)
Linton Brown - St. Bonaventure (UMBC, Lowell)
John "LJ" Stansbury - Delaware State (Albany)

·
Gr8t Dane
868 Posts

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I had a coworker who was 6'9." He played DII basketball and couldn't dunk. I didn't press him but his vertical must've been about 4 inches or something.
I don't understand how that's even possible. I wonder if he even tried to work on his lower body strength and plyometrics. You'd think that at 6'9" his reach would be over 9 feet.

·
Gr8t Dane
868 Posts
Looks like UA also got a commit from Sarju Patel. Grad transfer from Cornell. Think he has only 1 year left but who knows with these grad transfers and the COVID extensions.

Looks like a good get based on how he performed in the IVY playoffs, averaged over 10ppg in IVY play, and just under 10 a game in 22 minutes per game on the season. Also was an all-academic team player in the Ivy.

Surprise signing as I thought UA already had a full roster. Again COVID rules are strange still so the team could have more than 13 ships to give, someone may have graduated and/or left the team without entering the portal, or Jackson may in fact be a PWO as originally announced before it seems he was given a scholarship.

Will be good to add another scorer to the team, but if there was a ship to give I wish it went to a real big. I know everyone has that dream of adding a skilled 6'10"+ guy, but I think that's an anomaly at this level.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I will say that everyone keeps talking about wanting bigs and it got me thinking about how little I look forward to seeing Max Brooks next season so I checked out his ESPN bio and he is only listed as 6'7". I think people may be overblowing the need for guys 6'8 and above in the AE.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I will say that everyone keeps talking about wanting bigs and it got me thinking about how little I look forward to seeing Max Brooks next season so I checked out his ESPN bio and he is only listed as 6'7". I think people may be overblowing the need for guys 6'8 and above in the AE.
It's not about winning the AE. It's about having a frontcourt presence that provides credibility and allows you to hang in against A10 and higher level teams in the non conference in the tourney. UVM could win the AE easily with a 6'5" center.... oh right we already did that.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
It's not about winning the AE. It's about having a frontcourt presence that provides credibility and allows you to hang in against A10 and higher level teams in the non conference in the tourney. UVM could win the AE easily with a 6'5" center.... oh right we already did that.
I think this is closely correlated with the comments above about the 6'11" and 7' going to Amherst, and the 7' on UVM's bench for years...

Bigs have always been hard to find- especially ones that are actually skilled. With the liberalized transfer atmosphere, any 6'8" guy or above who can do literally anything on the court is going to filter up the food chain. And probably start higher up the food chain because not only can the bigger programs bring in more guys who started at mid-majors, they can also rid themselves of "empty" scholarships in guys transferring down.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Balogun looks pretty athletic in the clips available on YouTube. Doesn’t appear to have much offensive prowess, so he’ll fit right in with the other bigs in that regard. Would be nice if one of he, Akuwovo or White grabbed hold of the position, but it’s more than likely we’ll continue to see the matchup oriented/rotating approach we saw last season.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Brooks also plays bigger than the normal AE 6’7“ guy due to his wingspan and athleticism. If he ever hit the portal, I imagine there would be a line of interested teams out the door.

301 - 320 of 349 Posts