Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not that I expected him to stay home once Dempsey left and he went to SPIRE, but Rumpel's recruitment has really picked up as DePaul and GW are the latest offers and based on what I'm reading in the Twitter-world, it would not surprise me if more prestigious programs soon followed. He's performing very well on the summer circuit and it appears college coaches are taking notice.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Checked Verbal Commits yesterday and UVM has offered quite a few wings that range from athletic, to skilled passers, to post threats. Very interesting group.

Would be surprised if any end up on campus next year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Checked Verbal Commits yesterday and UVM has offered quite a few wings that range from athletic, to skilled passers, to post threats. Very interesting group.

Would be surprised if any end up on campus next year.
You don't expect UVM to hit on any of these? Why?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Interesting to see such an early commitment especially in today's recruiting. During last week's Zoom call Bill Herrion said that while they'll look at high school players he will have to be a really good player to sign in the fall due to the transfer portal and the chance to get proven college players. I'll be interested to see how the AE schools navigate recruiting. Do they go the old school route or do they follow the model it appears UNH is of using the transfer portal to find your players?

·
Gr8t Dane
779 Posts
Albany gets a big time 2022 recruit in Jonathan Beagle, a 6'9 3/4 that chose Albany over UMass, Pitt, $iena, Vermont, Iona and Patino, and apparently had interest from West Virginia and some other ACC schools. Local kid who chose to stay near home.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Looks like a real nice recruit for Albany. Seems like the new staff is getting some players.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Albany gets a big time 2022 recruit in Jonathan Beagle, a 6'9 3/4 that chose Albany over UMass, Pitt, $iena, Vermont, Iona and Patino, and apparently had interest from West Virginia and some other ACC schools. Local kid who chose to stay near home.

Looks like a very good get for Albany. A-10 quality player. Especially good for them since he's choosing Albany over UVM and they're desperate for bigs.

·
Premium Member
33,675 Posts
Beagle would have been a home run recruit/steal had he chosen UVM but now that he's chosen Albany he's obviously an overrated recruit surely to under perform. Look for him to end up in the transfer portal over next few years.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Look for him to end up in the transfer portal over next few years.
Most likely, but probably not because of underperformance. He will be looking to take his talents to a higher level.

·
Gr8t Dane
779 Posts
Most likely, but probably not because of underperformance. He will be looking to take his talents to a higher level.
This really is the reality of recruiting today. I'm hoping it leads to more impact type freshman hitting the AE, doing well for 2 years then transferring up. Instead of what it has been, spend 2-3 years developing a kid then lose him when he can finally grab a spot on a bigger team. I don't mind it happening if we get more "stars" that leave. It's the projects that hurt when they go.

It's yet to be seen what will happen in Albany under DK. He has gotten some exciting recruits that have all talked about the energy of the program and the big plans for the future. Not sure if they means he is gonna go somewhere bigger in 2 years and then take the kids with him, or of he really does have his eyes on growing the program.

·
Gr8t Dane
779 Posts
The Bob Walsh plan did not work at Maine, unfortunately.
It only works if they are true impact players, you get enough of them, and you can keep the pipeline going when they leave after 2 years.

Players that might be the 6th or 7th man at a power conference school as a freshman, but be all-league caliber their junior/senior year. Need to get 2-3 a year every year, and get lucky with 1 a year, or every other year, that decides to stay for 3 or all 4 years. Make your school a pipeline place like that, and you become a destination for 3 and 4 star recruits and you can eventually build into becoming a power conference type program like Gonzaga. I know that's not exactly how they did it, but I'm feeling that has to be the blueprint in this new world of college athletics and the transfer portal.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts