·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just saw Nicolo Nobili with a VC.

Nothing then all of a sudden two verbal commits. Hoping this is a transformative class. This year is looking strong too, will be competitive for the Patriot League title.

Possible starting lineup

6'9" Jr. PF - Nevin Zink
6'6" Sr. SF - Walter Whyte
6'2" Sr. PG - Jonas Harper
6'5" Gr. SG - Javante McCoy
6'10" Gr. C - Sukhmail Mathon

2nd unit

6'8" So. F - Anthony Morales
6'7" Sr. F - Fletcher Tynen
6'2" Jr. G - Ethan Brittan-Watts
6'5" So. G - Daman Tate
6'8" Fr. F/C - Malcom Chimizie

3rd unit

6'4" Jr. F - Tim Ozoegbu
6'5" So. G - Caelan Jones
6'3" Jr. G - Garrett Pascoe
6'3" So. G - Miles Brewster
6'8" So. F - Andrew Patnode

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Awesome! Welcome Otto and Nicolò!!

Seeing the full roster/lineup listed out, we're really deep - thanks to the returning 5th year seniors.
Out of your "3rd line" above, I could see Brewster and Pascoe logging decent minutes. Don't really know what we have in CJ yet

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like Nobili's game. Very skilled for a big man. He can shoot, pass, drive, and he plays tough. BU looks stacked in the frontcourt for the next few years (along with Zink, Chimezie, Landrum). And it appears Nobili plays like a stretch four or maybe even a point forward like the current NBA MVP Nikola Jokić. The other three bigs look to be traditional post players, so Nicolò's game complements their games perfectly. I look forward to BU doing a lot of big to big passing.

And below is video of him at one of the recent basketball tournaments. He opened eyes and made a name for himself against top talent. The speakers in the video are recruiting analysts. The link is time stamped and Nicolò's part is about two minutes.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's a toss-up between Zink and Tynen as starter and I'll lean towards Tynen for his versatility. The team is really deep this year, so everyone should be getting minutes. And I'm high on Jones based on his high school reputation as a knockdown shooter. Really need someone this year to fill that role consistently.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think it's a toss-up between Zink and Tynen as starter and I'll lean towards Tynen for his versatility. The team is really deep this year, so everyone should be getting minutes. And I'm high on Jones based on his high school reputation as a knockdown shooter. Really need someone this year to fill that role consistently.
Didn't see much of Nobili's game but given his European pedigree was hoping he'd be a stretch four type to complement the more traditional bigs. Glad to see in the video that he fits the bill, but also is tough and rugged enough to mix it up inside.

I agree this year's deep team gives Coach Jones a lot of options. If you want to match up big you can go with Zink, if you want versatility, you can go Tynen. But it's Tynen's versatility that makes him a good fit to be possibly a sixth-man type to match up defensively as the first sub in. They can go 12 deep easily, even 13 or 14 so hopefully coach can have everyone go hard and not have to worry about heavy legs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I really like Nobili's game. Very skilled for a big man. He can shoot, pass, drive, and he plays tough. BU looks stacked in the frontcourt for the next few years (along with Zink, Chimezie, Landrum). And it appears Nobili plays like a stretch four or maybe even a point forward like the current NBA MVP Nikola Jokić. The other three bigs look to be traditional post players, so Nicolò's game complements their games perfectly. I look forward to BU doing a lot of big to big passing.

And below is video of him at one of the recent basketball tournaments. He opened eyes and made a name for himself against top talent. The speakers in the video are recruiting analysts. The link is time stamped and Nicolò's part is about two minutes.

Nice to have a strong frontcourt for the foreseeable future but you can never have enough. I thought Jordan Guest and Jack Hemphill were gonna be impactful for BU but we know things can change really quickly given the rate of turnover in D1 hoops. So it'd be great if we can get a commit from at least one of the two rim protectors BU is recruiting, 6'10" Prince Ufochukwu and 7'1" Christian Reeves. And if they can get one of the point guards, I really like both Ben Roy and Nikolas Graves, Jalen Vazquez seems solid too. All the SG recruits look good, of course 3-star Braxton Stacker looks to be the uber-athlete. But Desmond Claude is from New Haven and perhaps Walter Whyte can get him to commit to BU. I'd also be happy with Pierce, Farmer, or Moncrief. Can we dream of a BU fab five?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh my, we got the rim protector I was hoping for.

Now only an athletic wing/slasher/scorer to complete a Fab Five class! Any one of these SG will do!

6' 4" Braxton Stacker
6' 6" Caden Pierce
6' 5" Chris Moncrief
6' 5" Desmond Claude
6' 3" Kalil Farmer

6' 9" PF Otto Landrum
6' 9" SF Nicolo Nobili
6' 2" PG Ben Roy
SG
6'10" C Prince Ufochukwu

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Great news! He had offers from schools a few steps up from us -- UNC Charlotte, St. Bonaventure, Old Dominion, Rice -- and some contemporaries, like Siena and Lehigh.

Good scouting report on what we're getting....

And here's an article from last summer. He's only been in the US (from Nigeria) for a couple years and only started playing basketball in 2017. I'm sure he's still got a lot of work to do, but if he can play defense he can get on the court.

Welcome Iffy!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't think another big was a need, but to get someone with the upside of Iffy (great nickname) I'm for it. From what I've seen he's got legit size and not a stick either. Looks mobile and gets in a good defensive stance to guard the perimeter. Not the most explosive leaper but with his length that's not a big deal. I like his shot-blocking instincts and he even maintains verticality when he contests. A bit raw on the offensive end, but his footwork is decent. Hands and touch around the rim look decent too. Shooting form looks okay.

Below is video from this past high school season. Looks good now, but apparently he is getting better...and quickly.

Iffy 2020-21 Season Highlights

·
Registered
25 Posts
I see a log jam developing. How is Joe Jones going to find minutes for all these guys? Additionally, I see almost every prognosticator is picking Colgate to win both the regular season and league tournament. I think they might have another thing coming. BU is now very deep, very experienced and very talented.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see a log jam developing. How is Joe Jones going to find minutes for all these guys? Additionally, I see almost every prognosticator is picking Colgate to win both the regular season and league tournament. I think they might have another thing coming. BU is now very deep, very experienced and very talented.
The frontcourt will be deep next year, but inexperienced. Coach Jones probably doesn't want to give anyone a heavy workload so soon, so he'll spread out the playing time. Zink and Chimezie probably have the inside track to starting spots. Iffy probably plays all his time at the 5. As for Landrum and Nobili, looks like they have the versatility to play the 4 and 3. Nobili looks comfortable playing away from the basket and Landrum has pick-and-pop potential I didn't see in his highlights.

Not a bad problem to have and I hope all players get a chance to shine and continue their development.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oof. I checked to see how BU's 2022 commits have been doing and I saw Ben Roy had an ACL injury and won't play his senior season. He should be ready to play next fall, but this is not ideal. Get well soon, Ben.

Not great news but better now than his freshman year. All the SG recruits have committed elsewhere except for Chris Moncrief. From the list of schools, seems like BU has a good shot, which would make this class one of the best and most complete in recent memory. A true Fab Five.

PF - 6' 9" Otto Landrum - hard hat, high motor, tough inside banger with offensive potential
SF - 6' 9" Nicolo Nobili - Euro-game, can shoot outside, touch inside, can pass
PG - 6' 2" Ben Roy - gritty, heady, pesky, annoying pest for the opposing team type
SG - 6' 5" Chris Moncrief - fairly athletic, smooth, mid-range game
C - 6'10" Iffy Ufochukwu - raw but high ceiling as a rim defender

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Who exactly are we losing? The extra COVID season eligibility is a bit confusing to me.
McCoy and Mathon, of course. But what of seniors Whyte, Tynen and Harper - can they return if they want to and Coach wants them back?
Whyte in particular has been around forever but he also had a medical redshirt year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts