Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Who exactly are we losing? The extra COVID season eligibility is a bit confusing to me.
McCoy and Mathon, of course. But what of seniors Whyte, Tynen and Harper - can they return if they want to and Coach wants them back?
Whyte in particular has been around forever but he also had a medical redshirt year.
Seems that these players’scholarships have been committed to the recruits.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I asked Brian Maurer via twitter, he confirms that eligibility-wise all 3 could return for another year. But it's also true that we have more committed incoming recruits than we have scholarships if they all stay -- so it becomes an interesting and potentially difficult conversation with each of the three.

He says BU is not discussing it or making any decisions until following the season, when they will talk with each of the players.

So for now, it's hard for us to know what the team looks like next year - aside from losing our two best players.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I asked Brian Maurer via twitter, he confirms that eligibility-wise all 3 could return for another year. But it's also true that we have more committed incoming recruits than we have scholarships if they all stay -- so it becomes an interesting and potentially difficult conversation with each of the three.

He says BU is not discussing it or making any decisions until following the season, when they will talk with each of the players.

So for now, it's hard for us to know what the team looks like next year - aside from losing our two best players.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting situation. In all fairness there are some younger players on the team who came in expecting to be starters by now and it may not be fair to hold them back much longer while guys play an extra year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Iffy Ufochukwu just de-committed from BU. Aw, man, unable to sign a wing player and now they lose a rim protector. I was hoping for a Fab Five class but now with Ben Roy injured and possible red-shirt candidate...

On the positive side, now they got some scholarships available for the transfer portal.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Dang, that's too bad. Even with all the returning 5th and 6th year players, he could have gotten some minutes as a freshman.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Iffy could have been BU's best shot blocker since Patrick Hazel and maybe even better since Hazel was only 6'6". I appreciate his initial commitment and will follow his college career.

If there is a position BU could take a hit for next year it is the center spot. Even now there are five players that could see time there (Zink, Chimezie, Patnode, Landrum, Nobili). Even without Iffy's shot blocking BU should be okay.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This is great news. A win-win for player and program. BU keeps a player with invaluable experience and Fletcher has a chance to play a bigger role. Glad it worked out this way.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts