Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
141 - 160 of 185 Posts

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Yes. It's like they updated the labels on their grids (specifically making the current HS seniors "HS 2023") but then didn't move any of the players over to the appropriate column.

This looks like a VC problem across the board.
I think a lot of it stems from them trying to keep Freshman through Senior classifications in order for those with extra Covid years as well. For example, they still haven't removed the super seniors off UVM's page and classifying seniors like Davis and Powell as having "left early for pro careers" because technically, they could have stayed another year. Also, Kain Dalrymple is still alive and well on UVM's VC page.

It'd be a lot of work, but, a "fifth year" column might help them out.

· Registered
551 Posts
Sanders should be looking at one of his current commits' teammates at Winchendon, Belal El Shakery. Kid is 6'8", doesn't have a VC page and was only just recently made his first offer (by NJIT). Watching the Winchendon game right now and he's got some game. Drilled a three, posterized some poor kid, has put it on the floor confidently. Binghamton has plenty of open scholarships, wouldn't mind seeing them offer a big man.

· Registered
5,156 Posts
Finkelstein tweeted out that Seth Joba committed to Vermont. Vermont really needed some positive recruiting news.

Would love a pure point guard now please.

I had a sense this was coming. Looks like a good below-the-basket player who can also play a little above the basket. Good frame. Would like to see highlights from a few more games to get a better sense of how he'll match-up against better size/strength. But I like this addition.

Nice to get on the board, especially considering we still have at least 3 scholarships left in play.

EDIT: According to some stats I found from last season out in Orchard Park, he shot just over 30% from the HS 3-point line, so maybe just enough range to keep people honest. But he did shoot over 70% from the FT line, so he shouldn't be a liability there.

· Registered
5,156 Posts
Any local Burlington guys have any info on how 2023 6'7" Mo Kanneh is playing at Rice. Is he D1 material?
Haven't seen him play this year, but saw him a couple times last year. I didn't see a D-1 player, in my opinion. He has good size, he's strong. But he didn't look very polished offensively or have any particular attribute that jumped out at me beyond "he's bigger than the kids he's playing against." Which won't be true at any level of basketball beyond this year.

· Registered
269 Posts
I had a sense this was coming. Looks like a good below-the-basket player who can also play a little above the basket. Good frame. Would like to see highlights from a few more games to get a better sense of how he'll match-up against better size/strength. But I like this addition.

Nice to get on the board, especially considering we still have at least 3 scholarships left in play.

EDIT: According to some stats I found from last season out in Orchard Park, he shot just over 30% from the HS 3-point line, so maybe just enough range to keep people honest. But he did shoot over 70% from the FT line, so he shouldn't be a liability there.
Add him to the mix of Verretto, Smith, Fiorillo, Ayo-Faleye, Ochoa, and Skipper and Vermont has good size for
the next few years. especially with America East teams. Ochoa looked aggressive and ready to play the couple of
games he saw. Can't wait to see him and Smith after another summer working on their size and game.
I agree, need to find a couple of guards .Alamutu is more a small forward and athletic, Hurley good shooting guard.
But only Deloney and Ndayishimiye for the point.
Hopefully more news as we get toward February and March. That is also when we swill start to see more players
entering the Portal.

· Registered
5,156 Posts
Add him to the mix of Verretto, Smith, Fiorillo, Ayo-Faleye, Ochoa, and Skipper and Vermont has good size for
the next few years. especially with America East teams. Ochoa looked aggressive and ready to play the couple of
games he saw. Can't wait to see him and Smith after another summer working on their size and game.
I agree, need to find a couple of guards .Alamutu is more a small forward and athletic, Hurley good shooting guard.
But only Deloney and Ndayishimiye for the point.
Hopefully more news as we get toward February and March. That is also when we swill start to see more players
entering the Portal.
If I had to spit ball, I'd think the staff might want to add another 2023 guard. Then ideally 2 backcourt/wing players from the portal. Any unexpectedly open scholarships beyond that, probably play it by ear depending on what they still look like positionally. But ultimately, ballhandlers and shooters. Wherever we can get them.

· Realist/A-hole
6,392 Posts
I wondered about the effect on recruiting at the time they left but UVM seemingly did OK on the last recruiting yr. Do you think recruiting suffered last year?
Think about the previous POY level players we've had in the past 5 years. How many of them can be connected to one or the other of the departed assistants? How much recruiting experience have the guys who replaced them have?

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Think about the previous POY level players we've had in the past 5 years. How many of them can be connected to one or the other of the departed assistants? How much recruiting experience have the guys who replaced them have?
I get what you are saying, but if we're passing the blame game onto assistants, just remember that both guys were here when that recruiting dip of the last 2-3 years started.

Two serviceable starters but not all-conference types (Deloney, Fiorillo) followed up with duds who transferred out, and TBD on some of the newcomers.

Meanwhile in another thread, people are having conversations about how UVM doesn't recruit NY enough to their liking. Seems the conversation needs to be less on where the players are coming from and whether or not the coaching staff of the last couple of seasons has lost sight of what type of player/skill sets got them to the position they've been in over the last 5 years.

· Registered
36 Posts
I get what you are saying, but if we're passing the blame game onto assistants, just remember that both guys were here when that recruiting dip of the last 2-3 years started.

Two serviceable starters but not all-conference types (Deloney, Fiorillo) followed up with duds who transferred out, and TBD on some of the newcomers.

Meanwhile in another thread, people are having conversations about how UVM doesn't recruit NY enough to their liking. Seems the conversation needs to be less on where the players are coming from and whether or not the coaching staff of the last couple of seasons has lost sight of what type of player/skill sets got them to the position they've been in over the last 5 years.
As one of the people talking about the NY recruiting, that wasn't meant as an attack on UVM's geographical recruiting strategies, or a comment on where I think they should recruit. More so an interesting factoid of the talent that small region of NY has pumped out. Also, I can't speak to Fredette, but Girard was definitely out of our league anyway - Duke offered him... Beagle was a lot more reasonable of a player for us to get, but obviously we lost out in the end. Agree that we need to be focusing much more on the type of player being recruited, and less on where they come from. Hurley is a great example from this past recruiting class.

· Premium Member
34,712 Posts
I think this is pretty obvious, but if one is to attribute a period of lack of recruiting, IMO it's mainly due obvious issues surrounding Becker/program.

Fair to say there was an extended period of time with great uncertainty whether or not Becker was going to remain as HC.

Maybe NIL has changed the math these days, but ask any college bb recruit and the #1 reason they commit to any school is because of the HC.

141 - 160 of 185 Posts