1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
339 Posts
We can pin this thread, or not if it's too early. But Bryant just offered like 12 guys in that class today. Possibly more since I started typing this. It was like they spammed the Verbal Commits Twitter feed. Brings them up to 48 offers for the class.

That seems just silly. What’s the message to recruits? I don’t see how this postures a program very well with those kids. I much prefer the quiet, behind the scenes approach UVM and many other programs take.

·
Premium Member
34,236 Posts
Not certain but I think Bryant just wants to get its name out there, and...it's kinda working for them, TBH.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a few ways of looking at it, in my opinion. On one hand, as UVMHC alluded to, when you're a school like Bryant that is still trying to establish its brand (both as a basketball program and a university...they don't have the benefit of having a location built into their name that people can use as an opening when trying to figure out who you are), getting your name out with as much frequency as possible and getting on as many radars as you can has value. A few more trips to the NCAAs and they probably won't feel compelled to do this as much.

And there's a "shoot your shot" component to this to, especially when talking about sophomore/junior classes. Many of the guys they've offered are, bluntly, out of their league right now (and out of the league of any AE school...and in some cases, any one-bid school). But you throw your hat in the ring, something happens down the road to a guy (injuries, developmental plateau), and bam...he falls into your lap because you were there for the start. And now you've got a guy you probably never thought you'd get and is a great fit for this level.

Conversely, I do think offering 100+ guys in a class says a few negative things. Like, how focused are you on any of them? How serious are you about actually recruiting these guys? If anyone who dribbles gets an offer, what is it "worth?" I never had the privilege of being a recruited athlete, but to some degree I think I'd want to feel like they think I'm special. They offered me because they want me, not because I'm on a list of 100 guys and I'm "next." Even if that is actually how recruiting works sometimes, as a recruit I don't want to feel that.

All that said, what Bryant is doing seems to be working for Bryant. Further proof there's no one singular "right way."

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is too reasonable. I demand more "UVM does it right, Bryant is doing it wrong!" takes.
Ha, just trying to go my own path on this one. But I suppose if you are looking for a "maybe Bryant isn't doing it right?" take, you could look at last year's Bryant team and how 5 of their top 7 players were D-1 transfers. And how considering they are bringing in 7 new players next year, only one of them is a class of 2022 player. So for all their success, incoming freshmen doesn't seem to be how they're building it...despite the 100+ offers per class.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Ha, just trying to go my own path on this one. But I suppose if you are looking for a "maybe Bryant isn't doing it right?" take, you could look at last year's Bryant team and how 5 of their top 7 players were D-1 transfers. And how considering they are bringing in 7 new players next year, only one of them is a class of 2022 player. So for all their success, incoming freshmen doesn't seem to be how they're building it...despite the 100+ offers per class.
I think that's more of a feature than a bug. You mentioned the possibility that these guys would slip prior to attending college and be in Bryant's "range." I think it's more likely that Bryant is hoping some of these guys look to transfer for more playing time after matriculating and already have a relationship with Bryant.

I also wouldn't rule out Grasso having an eye on his next job. Maybe some 3-star isn't going to play for him in Smithfield, but if all of a sudden he's in the A-10...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's more of a feature than a bug. You mentioned the possibility that these guys would slip prior to attending college and be in Bryant's "range." I think it's more likely that Bryant is hoping some of these guys look to transfer for more playing time after matriculating and already have a relationship with Bryant.

I also wouldn't rule out Grasso having an eye on his next job. Maybe some 3-star isn't going to play for him in Smithfield, but if all of a sudden he's in the A-10...
Yes, and yes. I remember reading an article during the last season about coaches who were "pre-recruiting" (I don't remember if that was the exact term, but you get the gist) guys who they weren't necessarily looking at for right now but were hoping to pick up on the transfer market down the road. Interestingly, it was written from the perspective of high-majors who were doing this with guys who were more on the mid-major radar...but I think it's just as present/valuable that you're seeing mid-major coaches try to make in-roads with guys (and as importantly, the people around them) who they know they're probably going to get outpriced for right now, but want to have those relationships built when these guys get bumped out of their high-major programs for lack of playing time.

And the idea that Grasso (like I'm sure other similarly-motivated coaches do) is recruiting HS underclassmen not necessarily for "Bryant" but for "Jared Grasso" has definitely not escaped me.

·
Premium Member
34,236 Posts
This is too reasonable. I demand more "UVM does it right, Bryant is doing it wrong!" takes.
Very difficult to imagine a world where Bryant could do even one thing better than UVM, but I suppose that possibility could exist.

Reactions: GoCatsGo and ccd494
1 - 11 of 11 Posts