·
Registered
6,697 Posts
LOL

Reactions: mainejeff

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Wait...you think I'm laughing at him? There is a better chance of Maine joining the ACC than Flagg ending up at Albany. Or even Bryant, which was his first offer. He will be able to go to any school he wants.

I get throwing the offer out there. I'm sure everyone in the northeast will throw one his way just to say they did.

Reactions: mainejeff

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Shoot. Your. Shot.

I don't want to get dark here, but...2025 is a long time from now. Maybe he gets hurt or something. Nothing serious, but enough to maybe knock him off the high-major radar. Or the more cheery flip side: he goes high-major, doesn't work, looks to transfer down. As a school, try to establish that relationship now in case an opportunity pops up later.

It's free to offer.

·
Premium Member
34,236 Posts
Don't want, NEED the Maine folklore on this kid.

Please update w/ his July AAU box scores this August.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those of you who don't know.....Cooper's mother played for the University of Maine....and his AAU coach is UMaine alum Andy Bedard. He plays for Nokomis HS which is about 30-40 minutes from Orono down I-95. All of this means nothing in regard to his recruiting which will include a slew of high major offers....you just don't see a player like that in Maine too often.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Shoot. Your. Shot.

I don't want to get dark here, but...2025 is a long time from now. Maybe he gets hurt or something. Nothing serious, but enough to maybe knock him off the high-major radar. Or the more cheery flip side: he goes high-major, doesn't work, looks to transfer down. As a school, try to establish that relationship now in case an opportunity pops up later.

It's free to offer.
Oh I know. I'm well aware of all that. And I think mid/low major schools should absolutely throw some offers at those top kids. It just really struck me as funny.

Anyway, I know they have already heard from schools in the Big East, Big Ten and ACC. And not your cellar dwellers either. And by heard from, I mean phone calls to coaches, not just an email and a questionnaire. His mom is also one of his AAU coaches so she is able to be contacted as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Shoot. Your. Shot.

It's free to offer.
I've also seen quite a few examples of where a guy got those high-major offers as freshmen and because they either didn't grow in height and/or didn't grow their game, ended up signing with MAAC and NEC schools.

Also, while this doesn't necessarily apply to someone from Maine, if you're in an area with a multiple Power 6 schools, I think there is often a pressure to be the first to offer.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
I've also seen quite a few examples of where a guy got those high-major offers as freshmen and because they either didn't grow in height and/or didn't grow their game, ended up signing with MAAC and NEC schools.

Also, while this doesn't necessarily apply to someone from Maine, if you're in an area with a multiple Power 6 schools, I think there is often a pressure to be the first to offer.
While that is true, that is highly unlikely with him. He is a 6'7 PG/G so growing really isn't an issue. His skill level is already extremely high, which is why he is ranked among the Top 10/25 players in the country depending on the publication. Over the past summer he played against high school age kids and dominated. Those games were played in a league that was held in Pennsylvania as well as the Boo Williams facility in Virginia against top AAU programs from up and down the East Coast so it wasn't like he was just beating up on Maine kids.

Anyway, I have seen him play in person and in some of the many YouTube videos and there is no doubt he is an elite talent. He absolutely loves the game and thus far has his ego in check. I don't think his mom would let it get very big anyway lol. If you know her, you know that to be the case.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I remember when Binghamton was the very first school to offer a scholarship to this center from Maret HS. They had recruited Marlon Beck from the same school and must have seen this player early on in his career. He eventually blew up and Binghamton didn't stand a chance. It was Luka Garza.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Ace would be a very good AE player.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
So...someone explain to me why Barron couldn't extend that goodwill offer 6 months ago? He might have lost his job regardless, but it shouldn't take the interim coach realizing that's always a good idea.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
So...someone explain to me why Barron couldn't extend that goodwill offer 6 months ago? He might have lost his job regardless, but it shouldn't take the interim coach realizing that's always a good idea.
No clue. Honestly, they should have been offered last year when they were in 8th grade.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hate to say this because of his medical history but honestly something didn't seem right with Barron. He seemed either out of touch or completely clueless on stuff like this.....he never immersed himself in the State of Maine's basketball culture and was off-putting to some. He is a very religious guy as well. Not judging but just trying to figure it all out. Steadman/UMaine finally did the right thing and offered both of them. Maine really needs to make in-roads on in-state recruiting because there are a lot of good young players developing in the state. Junior Joe Estrella out of South Portland is getting high major offers left and right.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts