Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

23rd pick

917 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  jvanbusk 
#1 ·
Who should the Pistons pick at 23?Frank Williams?Dan Dickau?Roger Mason?Jiri Welsch?One of these guys at least will be available.Should we go in a different direction altogether?Should we relinquish the pick to Atlanta to save cap room?Is there anyone else here but me?:confused:

#2 ·
It's a new board, Bruno, so there will be some dry spells between posts on some of the team boards...

I don't know if any of the players you mentioned will be available by the time the Pistons get to their pick...I believe they are all slated to go higher than that.

As we get closer to draft day, the "experts" no doubt will be running columns on how they believe the draft will go...however rare these expert picks come out right, they are a rough indication on who might be available by the time the Pistons are up on the podium. :)

#3 ·
None of the guys I mentioned will go lottery (maybe one at the most) so that will be three or four PGs between and including 14 and 22,somewhat unlikely.I read somewhere Joe Dumars is considering trading the 23rd pick to Golden State but he wants Arenas for it.

#5 ·
Bruno the Questionable said:
Damn lonely here compared to most boards.I feel like Butch and Sundance facing the whole Bolivian army.:(
If GS trades away Arenas, after the potential he showed, then they deserve to finish out of the playoffs yet again. For Arenas I'd be looking for a little better than the 23rd pick... but then again, I haven't screwed up a team quite like the Warriors management have, so who am I to comment

#6 ·
I'm Joe Dumars....here's what I do.

I sign Jeff McInnis to a contract, and he and Chucky Atkins will split time at the point guard position. This allows the Pistons to do what they want with the 23rd pick, possibly a big man?

With the 23rd pick, I'd take a chance on somebody like Boris Diaw, or Maden Sekularac. Have them stay in Europe for a year or too. With Mehmet Okur coming in and Rodney White seeing more time, we will basically already be putting two very young guys out on the court. Then, when JB may be gone we can bring one of these guys over to play back up to Jerry Stackhouse at shooting guard.

#7 ·
Originally posted by jvanbusk
I'm Joe Dumars....here's what I do.

I sign Jeff McInnis to a contract, and he and Chucky Atkins will split time at the point guard position. This allows the Pistons to do what they want with the 23rd pick, possibly a big man?

With the 23rd pick, I'd take a chance on somebody like Boris Diaw, or Maden Sekularac. Have them stay in Europe for a year or too. With Mehmet Okur coming in and Rodney White seeing more time, we will basically already be putting two very young guys out on the court. Then, when JB may be gone we can bring one of these guys over to play back up to Jerry Stackhouse at shooting guard.
ur Joe Dumars

#8 ·
Sounds like our mod has a personality disorder.I'd prefer Billups over McInnes but hey,you're the boss.

#10 · (Edited)
boy oh boy

am I glad we didn't sign McGinnis ...or draft Dickau whew!
on the other hand I would have given up the 23th pick for Arenas in a Detroit second.

Hey do you guys think we are going to give up our 20-something pick to the Kings this year..finally? They got the rights to it for giving up Dickau to the Hawks

#12 ·
Originally posted by <b>GeorgiaSports</b>!
didn't Detroit owe a 1st rounder to Atlanta, then we traded that pick to Sacramento?? for FREAKIN' Dan Dickau!! :upset: BUST! :yes:
yep that pick has been well traveled

Sacramento receives Detroit's first round pick via Atlanta (2003 or 2004, Detroit's option) (Dickau 062602) (Turkcan) via Houston (Terence Morris trade 062701)
Outstanding Trades

BTW GeorgiaSports what are the hawks going to do this draft and FA season.

#14 ·
Dickau is not fast, no handles, not athletic. The only hope I have is that he isn't fast is because he's still adjusting and the jump shot will grow on him. But I'm not the optimistic kind.

I don't know what the Hawks will do. They will have a New GM, New Coach and new OWNERS next year. I'm not sure if they will want to re-build all over or just bring in a good coach and make a playoff run for the next 2 years the Big 3 are together for. I guess it all depends if the new owner will pay the luxury tax

As far as the draft, we got a 6% chance of getting a top 3 pick and keeping it. And we get Indiana's pick which will be early 20s. I think they have to take BPA since nobody knows who will stay in Atlanta long-term. (No matter what, DO NOT TRADE THE PICK!!) :yes: Lebron would do just fine...... :laugh:

#16 ·
Originally posted by <b>mercury</b>!
Back to the original question... If Joe doesn't package the mid 20's pick (too many rooks won't work) he should consider some young big talent ...Beasley or Lang.
Man I didn't realize this a old freakin post...moderator how long do you hang onto these threads?lol
lol, I thought I'd bring this one back up to the top for old times sake. To answer the question, I really think we should fulfill our obligation and give this pick up. We are near the top of the standings now, and I think it would be a gamble to wait until next year where that pick could get much better. It can't get much worse next year. But I agree with you, if we keep the pick, let's take someone big that can develop over a couple years and take Cliff's spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.