Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last few years, there have been at best, a dozen players that have come out of the second round and seen considerable playing time on their team. Not staring on their team, but playing a fair amount. I'm sick of reading how people like Tamar Slay and Carlos Boozer are going to light the league up. These are second rounders. Recently, out of the second round, the best picks have been Nick VanExel, and you could make a case for Cutino Mobley, even though he doesn' t play defense.

So what's my point? You all are overrating these second rounders. Roger Mason Jr. will be in tough to make the team. So will Tamar Slay. Boozer is in fine shape 'cause the Cavs. suck. Archibald will be lucky to make the Grizzlies. These are second rounders. Rarely is there a good pro in the second round. And rarely are there 4 - 6 like I've seen people claiming. This is ridiculous. If they were so stunning, they'd be lottery picks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by DuddyKravitz
Recently, out of the second round, the best picks have been Nick VanExel, and you could make a case for Cutino Mobley, even though he doesn' t play defense.
Don't forget Rashard Lewis. He's probably the best out of all the recent 2nd rounders in recent drafts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Now with the new onslaught of European and High School players applying for the draft, there will be much more second round talent then in the past due to this. Many good college players have seen their stocks fallen due to only the fact that coaches are now putting potential over experience, which leaves a lot of solid players left to be drafted in the second round.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Originally posted by DuddyKravitz
I disagree. Look at the last few years, how many second round players even made their teams?
On average there are only 4 to 6 players a draft that make a roster in the NBA. But spartanfan does have a legimate point regarding the international players. Maybe the number jumps to 6-8.

·
Registered
77 Posts
it is generally considered that this year was extremely deep in general. this means that many players who would usually be drafted in the first round (mason etc) got pushed back. This should cause a lot more second rounders to make teams considering thier talent level and how little teams pay second rounders.
-bmckay

·
Registered
86 Posts
Guys like Carlos Boozer and Roger Mason Jr. likely aren't going to light the league. Both will be lucky to be around five years from now. 2nd round success stories are often times unknowns. Toni Kukoc and Rasdard Lewis are two big second round successes who were pretty well unknown coming into the draft. Scouts had plenty of chances to watch Boozer and Mason play. Teams are hoping that at best the will turn into above average backups. Now, Van Exel and Mobley are rare expections but predicting them is like predicting lottery numbers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toni was a star in Europe before he came over. He was drafted lower because the Bulls were not sure that he would be able to come over. He would have gone much higher if drafted today. He was arguably the best player in Europe before he came over.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
But this is not uncommon. Every year, there's always talk about how ten or fifteen second rounders are going to be major steals. And every year, by midseason, all the talk has subsided. Is it ludicrous to talk about second rounders that way? Well, yes. But is it something new? No. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see 8 or 9 second round picks from this past draft still in the league in five years. That would be very uncommon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts