Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my mind the best matchup of the season so far. This will be a strategic game even though the gameplans are quite simple. For Arizona: run. For Stanford: Dont let Arizona run. Stanford does not have the athletes, speed, or quickness to compete if they get into a track meet. Texas tried to do this earlier this year and got b!tch-slapped. Granted Stanford is MUCH better than Texas (not to mention MUCH more well coached) but athleticism will prevail for UA if they play their type of game. Look for Stanford to slow the tempo, and play a hardnosed zone.

So who will win? I want predictions, preferably with projected score.

Some things you should know

*For the past seven games in the series, the road team has won ALL SEVEN TIMES. The game will take place in tucson.

*Arizona is on a roll. The demolished ASU, and absolutely killed Cal. The game should have had a 35+ point margin, had the scrubs not come in with 6 minutes to go. Both of these teams are by no means good, boirderline mediocre id say. But if you know Arizona basketball then you also know that it is not typical for Arizona to pound other teams like they have done in the previous games. Even when UA outplays teams by a large margin, the scoring difference is usually not to huge.

*Stanford was very fortunate that the luck ran out for the Scum Devils, and they escape with a 1 point victory on a tip in by Childress. They played flawless in the first half, but a crazy second half shooting performance by ASU(cks) almost overcame their 13 point halftime deficeit. Asu actually did lead by 3 with 2 minutes to play.

UA 82 Stanford 76

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Zona's lack of depth does them in this game.
Thats hogwash IQ.

Depth in college ball is highly overrated. Ill take a phenomenal 5 over a decent 9 any day. No matter what you can only put five guys out at once, and i think Arizona can handle a 7 man rotation. Everyone in the rotation is at least an above average athlete (with exception of our new Euro, who is getting used to American ball). Besides, Kansas had a great season last year with a small rotation. the type of players that UA has thrive when they get hot, and they all need minutes to get into rhythym. Small rotation = many minutes for guys = guys start to get hot. That said Stanford still has great depth going 11 deep.

All year people have said lack of depth would be a problem, but it just hasnt been. With the exception of 1 game (FLA), there has been no serious foul trouble, and i really believe there is no better a starting 5 in the country than at UA (talent/'spurtability' wise). Im changing my prediction

UA 87 Stanford 77

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont forget UA's versatility either, everyone with the exception of our center plays at least two positions, Olson has even played with a 6'4'' PF and 6'6'' center and still done just fine. Having the flexibilty of line-ups (though most combinations are a bit small) really goes a long way in solving depth problems.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Despite the trend, I almost always go with the home team in a battle of really good teams. It is the only rational (but boring) way to predict games.

Arizona 68 Stanford 62

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Middy</b>!

Depth in college ball is highly overrated.
Couldn't agree more. With the quality of players Arizona has, 7 is plenty. I wasn't too impressed with Stanford after watching their game against Ariz. St. last night. I think the Wildcats will win by 10.

Zona 82 Stanford 72

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree that depth can be overrated. However, it is essential to teams that run and/or trap. I also give ZERO weight for the "versatility" Middy wrote about. Who cares that a 6'4" guy played PF? Or a 6'6" guy played center? I understand teams playing "big" or "small". It just does not come up enough during a season to give it much attention. If Arizona goes with that small libeup against Stanford, it will be a long night.

I also don't care about historic perspectives. Road team has won seven years? Another meaningless stat. Last year in football, much was made about the fact that Green Bay had never lost a home playoff game at Lambeau. Someone should have told the Falcons, who won the game.

Stanford exposes Arizona's weaknesses, wins by twelve.

Anyone know date, time & channel for the game?

Thanks...

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Stanford size vs. Zona speed

In the end, I think Zona has too much talent, especially in the backcourt.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
very tough game.

remember, Kansas has speed, and Stanford took care of them. I've seen both teams play twice this season on TV, and I personally like Stanford better.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Middy</b>!
Texas tried to do this earlier this year and got b!tch-slapped. Granted Stanford is MUCH better than Texas (not to mention MUCH more well coached)
texas was not exactly killed by arizona. it started to get very ugly, but then texas got it pretty close at the end and would have had a real shot at winning if they would have just made a couple more open 3s(because they were getting good shots).

and no way is stanford MUCH better than texas. that's a little too much of an exaggeration. they may or may not be better, but i don't think it would be by much either way.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also give ZERO weight for the "versatility" Middy wrote about. Who cares that a 6'4" guy played PF? Or a 6'6" guy played center? I understand teams playing "big" or "small". It just does not come up enough during a season to give it much attention. If Arizona goes with that small libeup against Stanford, it will be a long night.

Let me explain. UA's 6th man, Chris Rodgers, plays PG, SG, and SF legitmately as he is a strong 6'4'' with great handle. Right off the batt, he can sub in for the 1, 2, or 3. That gives Coach Olson tremendous flexibilty in the lineup already, allowing him to take out any of the backcourt or the wing. I havent said anything about the tremendous job that the UA wings have done, and thats probably been the highlight of the whole year for the team. 6'4'' Hassan Adams is a 2/3 but has been asked to play the 4 for substantial minutes. HE HAS BEEN MORE THAN EFFECTIVE. This is evidenced by the fact that he is the Starting PF, and his 2.7 bpg average. It doesnt seem to be slowing him down on offense either, as he is averaging 18 pts and (somethihng to the tune of) 8 boards a game. Andre Iguodala is another versatile wing that plays 1, 3, 4, and the occaisional 5. He handles the ball and brings it up court often, and he also plays inside and is the Pac 10 leading rebounder (and assist man by the way). He can legitamatly gaurd 4 positions on the court also. That is another thing, with defensive flexibilty like this team has, it makes playing with matchups much easier and they often benefit the Cats. Remember, withthe number of quality bigs in College Bball, Speed beats Size.

Im trying not to hype this team up to much, but the one thing you will notice from this team is that they have UNBELIEVEABLE quickness. Its nutss that all 5 guys can run the floor WELL, and thats why you see so many fast breaks/dunks in almost every UA game. (3 sports center plays from their game with Cal)

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>UKfan4Life</b>!
I believe I just saw at the bottom of my TV screen that Stanford won.
You saw correctly. They really took it to Arizona. :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I was one of the few who had Stanford at #1 last week - anybody else change there mind now.

Wins over Kansas and Gonzaga - yes they were at home but they were without their best player.

Very good road win.

Stanford #1 in America.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts