Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, if the Blazers are resigned to trading Sheed (and I'm not saying they are, but IF they are), how about this:

PORTLAND sends Rasheed Wallace & Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje to New Jersey
PORTLAND receives Kerry Kittles, Brandon Armstrong, Caron Butler, Malik Allen, Bimbo Coles and a conditional 1st round pick

NEW JERSEY sends Kerry Kittles & Brandon Armstrong to Portland and sends Kenyon Martin to Miami
NEW JERSEY receives Rasheed Wallace & Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje

MIAMI sends Caron Butler, Malik Allen, Bimbo Coles and a conditional 1st round pick to Portland
MIAMI receives Kenyon Martin

OK, essentially Portland trades Wallace for Butler, Allen, Kittles and a conditional 1st round pick.

Essentially NJ trades Martin and Kittles for Wallace

Essentially, Miami trades Butler and Allen and a conditional 1st round pick for Martin

If the previous NJ rumors about what they were willing to offer for Rasheed is correct, I could see them doing this.

I could also see Miami doing this to get the PF they desperately need.

This trade fills my criteria by returning a young SF, a draft pick, and the fact that only Butler's contract goes beyond 2005.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Heat get too much, Nets get way too little.

But, I think this is about the quality of package you should expect to get for Wallace, so I think this is pretty good.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Not too bad..BUT...we send out 2 and get 5 back...where do the other 3 go on I. R.....;)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
That actually looks pretty reasonable for each team involved. Depending on the 'conditions' tied to that pick, that's actually a key part of the deal unless Miami suddenly starts winning games. Also, what are the lengths of the Heat contracts involved?

Dan

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Caron Butler is not nearly as good as people were projecting him to be last year. He's not as bad as he's been this season, either, but he's 23 (24 in March) and he just hasn't shown the ability (IMO) to be a star in the NBA.

As badly as Qyntel Woods is shooting (37.8%), Butler is much worse this year (32.4%) and wasn't THAT much better last year (41.6%) in spite of getting regular minutes in the Heat rotation.

So, in other words: what's the point? We're better to go with Woods, who's younger and bigger, than Butler and the salary drek that accompanies him.

Ed O.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't know. Maybe there's something better out there but at least Caron doesn't (to my knowledge), have a drug abuse problem. We could unload Quintel in a different trade perhaps?

It's too early to give up on Caron. Granted I haven't watched him play much so maybe he lacks both the athleticism to be a star and can't shoot (a pretty poor combo). I have zero faith in Quintel's cognitive abilities though.

Caron's contract can't be all bad considering it's his first deal. I like the idea of picking up another draft pick. I'd do this deal. I think Miami would too. I don't think New Jersey would though.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It looks reasonable to me, but it doesn't look like it benefits the Blazers much from a team perspective.

We get much thinner upfront. Without Wallace and RBB, we're left with aging Dale Davis, inconsistent Vladimir Stepania, hapless defender Zach Randolph, and our new acquisition Malik Allen? Allen can barely get off the bench in Miami - what good is he going to do the Blazers?

I like Caron Butler and Kerry Kittles, but neither player is that good at creating his own shot and with the poor offensive execution we have thanks to our mediocre point guards, I don't see them getting good shots. On both offense and defense, I think Derek Anderson is a better option than Kittles at the 2 based on his athleticism and strength. As for SF, I'm not sold on Butler - I'd like to see a decent SF come back to us in a Wallace trade, but if not, I'm ok with trying to sign one next off-season, or waiting on Qyntel and Outlaw.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!

MIAMI sends Caron Butler, Malik Allen, Bimbo Coles and a conditional 1st round pick to Portland
MIAMI receives Kenyon Martin

I do not see the Heat participating in this trade at all, the heat are giving up way to much for one guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts