Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lakers could have 4 draft picks. Who would you (true Laker fans) like to see the Lakers come out of the draft with. Try to be realistic.

Assume we have:

a low lottery pick (ours)
a low 1st round (Miami)
a very high 2nd round (Atlanta thru Charlotte)
a mid 2nd round (ours)

Now pick a free agent you'd like to see us bring in. I think all we can really offer is the MidLevel Exception.

I'll post my wishlist later. Remember, try to be realistic.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like Hakim but do we really need another SF? Or do you think he is a NBA PF?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wayne Simien in the first round, and then hope that we can get Nate Robinson in the second round.

Something we need to realize now is that our best defense is actually our offense...and this has been the case for us even in the championship years. Wayne Simien is a beast out of Kansas (maybe I'm a little biased) but he's NBA-ready, and I believe he could easily be starting-material mid-way through his rookie season, allowing us to trade Butler for a starting PG and moving Odom down to the SF.

Nate Robinson is a poor man's Allen Iverson...but give him the opportunity and this world-class athlete will shock everyone.

---------------

Now, if I was Kupchak, I would just shoot for these guys in this order...

First Round: Wayne Simien, Ronny Turiaf, John Gilchrist
Second Round: Nate Robinson, Lawrence Roberts, Andray Blatche

That would be our best bet in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
He is diffrent than Jones and Butler he is a athletic/4 who can run and play D with his great wing span. If not him then they should get Ike Diogu I thnik he will be a very good player in the league. Or maybe Wayne Siemen.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cris..do you have confirmation or a link on that? I haven't seen that anywhere.

If it is true, could Mitch Kupchak please resign now.

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
cmd34 said:

That actually helps us because I doubt the Heat will be this good in 2006 or 2007.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"we dont have miami's pick, its 2006 or later"

I Googled all over the place and found an article on msnbc.com that says you are exactly right.

"That actually helps us because I doubt the Heat will be this good in 2006 or 2007"

I'm not sure. Shaq's skills won't be deteriorating that soon, Wade will only get better, and they are an attractive team for free agents willing to lose dollars to get the always popular "chance at a ring."

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
cmd34 said:

Why? Who wants 4 picks in the same season? Since the Lakers have 15 players that means 4 current guys have to go, and thats if you bring in no FAs or take more players in thru a trade. On top of that, you are developing 4 players at the same time.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4 picks means we have better chance Kupchak wont draft a stiff (like Douthit).

Okay, I think Cris is right and we don't have Miami's pick until 2006 or later.

So let's say 3 picks.

1 lottery
1 very high 2nd.
1 middle 2nd.

I do think they should take a chance on a Euro who is a year away from the NBA so that they don't have 3 rookies on their roster.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Screw a Euro player. The guys we need to be thinking about drafting or trading up to draft are Andrew Bogut, Chris Paul, Chris Taft, Raymond Felton, Hakim Warrick, Salim Stoudamire, Ronny Turiaf, Nate Robinson, Jarrett Jack or Wayne Simien.

Stick with the college guys! There have been so many steals in the past few drafts and so many good college players haven't even been drafted, it's ridiculous. For example, Chris Duhon, Trevor Ariza, Carlos Boozer, Marquis Daniels, Josh Howard, Udonis Haslem, Kyle Korver, Willie Green, Mo Williams, James Jones, Matt Bonner, Matt Barnes and Darius Songaila.

College = GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Euros and HS = BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

I'm telling you, if we could trade Butler and some change for a big man and put Hakim Warrick next to Kobe, the Lakers would be set. I think we may even have a shot to land Kevin Garnett in the offseason for that same package of Odom, Butler and Grant. The T-Wolves will let Sprewell walk after this season, so Butler could fill his void. It's unlikely, but ahhh....how it's great to dream....

PG: Chucky Atkins
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Hakim Warrick
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Chris Mihm

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
cmd34 said:
4 picks means we have better chance Kupchak wont draft a stiff (like Douthit).
So I guess you are saying you draft knowing that some of those 4 aren't making the team? Douthit was the last pick in the draft, if he at any point in his Laker career becomes our 4th best post than its a good pick. Historically, the only one of those picks that would be in contention for a spot in the rotation is the lottery pick. Thats even if we had the Miami pick (which we don't, and again am grateful that it isn't for this season).

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
It's almost impossible to predict draft picks for this team right now because we don't know who management is trying to trade and who they plan on keeping. Also, call me crazy, but the Lakers may still think Sasha's the answer at the 1 and may bypass guys like Felton, Jack or Diaz. Not that I'm saying Sasha's a bust, but don't be surprised if the we have a chance at one of those guys and don't take him.

If we wind up taking a guy like Warrick it's probably pretty safe to say either Caron or Lamar is out the door.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Necronomous,

I know you're dreaming and all, and there's nobody on this board that'd like to see Garnett in a Laker uni more than me, but.....*SLAP*.....wake up. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
nate robinson really impressed today against pacific, although he is 5'9, hes lightning quick, very strong, and have incredible hops. he has very good point guard skills also IMO

·
Quite frankly, I'm...
14,767 Posts
NOODLESTYLE said:
if the Lakers could keep Kobe, Lamar, and Mihm and get KG ..oh my GOD...that would be like...OH MY GOD!....but ya....one plus for KG for coming to L.A...his shoe contract would TRIPLE!
Why do you want Lakers to keep Mihm who can't play road games. :confused:

I'd love it if we draft Chris Paul but he's likely to stay in college for another year.

KG to L.A. is a pipe-dream.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Jesus_Walks said:
nate robinson really impressed today against pacific, although he is 5'9, hes lightning quick, very strong, and have incredible hops. he has very good point guard skills also IMO
I'd just love love love to have Robinson on the Lakers. He would be a better version of Earl Boykins.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts