Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's alot of talk about how Kobe's defense is not what it used to be, whether that is true or not, who do you figure will make the all defensive teams this year at the guard position? There would have to be 4 guards better than Kobe, so who are they?

I've thought about it, and my opinion is not objective when it comes to Kobe, so I can't think of four who have played better defense than him. I expect he will be either first or second team. If I'm wrong, who's better?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Bruce Bowen, Trent Hassel, Marcus Banks, Larry Hughes, Joe Johnson, Rip Hamilton, Lindsey Hunter, Tayshawn Prince(if he counts), Andre Iguodala, Manu Ginobili... just to name a few

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PartisanRanger said:
Wade maybe? He gets a fair amount of steals, is the best shotblocking guard in the NBA, and plays good man defense.
I like Wade, IMO, he's in the mold of Kobe and plays with alot of intensity on the defensive end, but he's a poor match up at his position. Most shooting guards are able to body him up, but he can stay with most point guards

·
Registered
458 Posts
Good list...

<Bruce Bowen, Trent Hassel, Marcus Banks, Larry Hughes, Joe Johnson, Rip Hamilton, Lindsey Hunter, Tayshawn Prince(if he counts), Andre Iguodala, Manu Ginobili... just to name a few>

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LBJthefuturegoat said:
Bruce Bowen, Trent Hassel, Marcus Banks, Larry Hughes, Joe Johnson, Rip Hamilton, Lindsey Hunter, Tayshawn Prince(if he counts), Andre Iguodala, Manu Ginobili... just to name a few
Tayshawn, and Bowen are both forwards. And I don't think any of the others except Larry Hughes is a better defender.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
LBJthefuturegoat said:
Keep in mind that these All Defensive teams are a popularity contest, to a degree. They'll usually tab the best defenders among the star players in the league. A lesser name like Bruce Bowen will make it in the list here and there but I seriously doubt guys like Hunter, Hassell, and Banks will get as much recognition as the bigger names in the league.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Wade has been terrific
Hughes has been very effective when healthy.
Joe Johnson has been surprisingly very good this year.
Tony Allen might be a rookie but he's already a defensive stud
I also think Josh Howard is a very underrated defender just because he's on the Mavs
Then of course Memphis has a couple of very good defenders who just don't see a lot minutes: Battier and Jones
I initially Forgot Igoudala: he's big and fast another rookie defensive stud

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
If a player is unable to lead a team to have winning season, he is not deserved to be 1st team.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
most of those players are not better defenders than kobe. problem is, this year, the lakers have been abysmal defensively as a unit, and kobe is a part of that unit. so, he isn't necessarily playing better overall defense than those guys. it's a different question - who's playing better defense and who's a better defender. put a rip hamilton on these lakers and he's a worse defender than kobe, easily. many of the others as well become equally if not moreso exposed in a poor system. but kobe's in with his group and bears some responsibility, and doesn't deserve all-defense this year. kobe's defense is under a microscope more than many of these guys, who if the light shined on them as bright wouldn't fare as well under scrutiny either.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
LBJthefuturegoat said:
I almost forgot the guy who shut **** down for 14 games....

The best defender in the league IRA NEWBLE!
Newble ain't that good: he looks relatively decent out there because the rest of Cavs are terrible on defense.

If the question remains does Kobe deserve all defense this year then the answer is no: Wade, Hughes, Joe Johnson, even Tony Allen have played defense at much more consistent level the Kobe this year.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
5 guards and if you disagree, oh well, because they are better this year. Check out their total steals or steals per game. I know this isn't the tell all factor, but considering Kobe has been reaching and slapping for most of the year and he still has a lower amount of steals then these guys, maybe steals mean more in this case.

Larry Hughes
Kirk Hinrich
Andre Igoudala
Marko Jaric
Marquis Daniels

some others

Eddie House
Gilbert Arenas
Manu Ginobli
Trenton HAssell
Dwayne Wade
Josh Howard(depends on what you list him as)
Paul Pierce

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
I haven't seen him much this year, but what about Raja Bell?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
Newble ain't that good: he looks relatively decent out there because the rest of Cavs are terrible on defense.

If the question remains does Kobe deserve all defense this year then the answer is no: Wade, Hughes, Joe Johnson, even Tony Allen have played defense at much more consistent level the Kobe this year.
I was kidding about Newble :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I started this thread because I figure Kobe will be an all league defender. Eventhough his defense may not seem what it once was, there isn't anyone at the position who overwhemlingly threathens his spot.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts