Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Does anyone here hold out hope that the Blazers can make the Playoffs?

2) Did yesterday's trade affect your answer to question #1 in any way?

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I had hope after the win vs Sacto and the trade made yesterday only held my opinion that we will make the playoffs, our next 11 games are all extremely winnable.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
1) I have no doubt that we will make the playoffs. I belong to the "we can still win the championship" club. And I'm dead serious. We will replace either Denver or Memphis in the current top 8. I'm not sure either of those teams will make the playoffs when it comes down to it. I'm looking forward to our next 5 games against those two teams. They will be season-defining battles.

2) Nope. As long as the team's confidence isn't bothered by the deal, my confidence is not bothered by the deal.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Ireally can't say till I see how this team performs with the new addition/Subtraction. I'll let you know on monday.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!
1) Does anyone here hold out hope that the Blazers can make the Playoffs?
Sure. I think the team went down from a 90% bet to a 60% bet by trading away Wells, and they've gone down a bit from there with their recent losing streak.

But other teams (Utah, Seattle) are struggling, too, and the door remains ajar. I'd give Portland a 50% chance.

Of course, we still have the chance to win fewer than 40 games, which I would have said was not very likely at the start of the year.

2) Did yesterday's trade affect your answer to question #1 in any way?
No. If anything, I think that it would HURT our chances to make the playoffs, but since I think Cheeks was going to play Damon 40 minutes a night irrespective of who was behind him, I don't see our chances being significantly impacted by the trade.

Ed O.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Ed O- You do realize that neither Utah nor Seattle are playoff teams either right now.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I think most people agree that the Kings, Spurs, Wolves, Mavs and Lakers (when/if they get healthy again) are top 5 locks. That leaves everyone else fighting over the final 3 spots. IMO, none of the teams, except Phoenix are out of the playoff race (and I think they will still be an annoying 30-35 win team that can upset a lot of teams).

As of now...

6) Denver 26-18
7) Houston 24-17
8) Memphis 23-18
9) Utah 21-20
10) Seattle 20-20
11) L.A Clippers 17-22
12) Portland 17-23
13) Golden State 17-24
14) Phoenix 16-27

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Why is Phoenix out of it?

Joe Johnson is playing like a superstar. Amare and Marion make for a formidable frontcourt. Barbosa is playing well at point. They've won 4 of their last 5 games. I wouldn't count out Phoenix just yet.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I don't get to see the Blazers much, so my opinion is pretty uninformed, but I'll consider it a surprise if the Blazers make the playoffs. I actually think the top 8 teams right now will finish the season as the playoff teams, though maybe not in the exact same order. I'll predict that the Blazers will finish 11th overall, jumping ahead of only Utah (I should probably know better by now, but I think the Jazz will slip up and fall down the charts a couple of notches).

The trade had no effect on this opinion.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
Why is Phoenix out of it?

Joe Johnson is playing like a superstar. Amare and Marion make for a formidable frontcourt. Barbosa is playing well at point. They've won 4 of their last 5 games. I wouldn't count out Phoenix just yet.
Just IMHO, I don't think they will make it. They have played well recently, but they are still 11 games under .500 :sour:. They have 39 games remaining, they would have to go on a real tear like 30-9 to be in. Not impossible, but I don't see them making it.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I think Portland reall need to go like 26 and 16 to finish the year, if they have any hop of making the playoffs. That would stick them at 43 and 39.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Scinos</b>!

Just IMHO, I don't think they will make it. They have played well recently, but they are still 11 games under .500 :sour:. They have 39 games remaining, they would have to go on a real tear like 30-9 to be in. Not impossible, but I don't see them making it.
I'm with you, I really don't see how they'd make. They've played pretty well for like a week and a half, but that's it. You need to be at least 3 games over .500 to make the playoff out west in my opinion, which would require them to go 28-11 over the rest of the season. They'd be one of the best teams in the league over the entire second half of the season if they did that, and I just don't see how that would happen.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!

I'm with you, I really don't see how they'd make. They've played pretty well for like a week and a half, but that's it. You need to be at least 3 games over .500 to make the playoff out west in my opinion, which would require them to go 28-11 over the rest of the season. They'd be one of the best teams in the league over the entire second half of the season if they did that, and I just don't see how that would happen.
I would apply the same logic to the Blazers as well.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Suns started the season 0-14 one year and still made the playoffs. They did what you said- they were one of the best teams in the 2nd half of the season. I remember when the 94 Pacers went from 16-23 to 47-35. It happens. Of course, you never expect the team that is playing so badly to play so well all of the sudden. But it happens.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
yes and maybe

I am still sticking by my 41-41 prediction and waiting for the other teams to fall back to earth while we raise our level of play and pass them. I had also said it depends on any trades we make, but so far I think it might be a slight lossof games, but not much for our two trades.

I still think we are greatly underachieving, and when the proper motivation is there or somehow the planets align we are capable of beating anyone in the league it seems, except the Spurs.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Ed O- You do realize that neither Utah nor Seattle are playoff teams either right now.
Yep. But having two teams that WERE in the top 8 suddenly slumping makes it a heck of a lot easier for Portland to make the playoffs than if they were playing as well as they were, say, a month ago.

Ed O.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Suns started the season 0-14 one year and still made the playoffs. They did what you said- they were one of the best teams in the 2nd half of the season. I remember when the 94 Pacers went from 16-23 to 47-35. It happens. Of course, you never expect the team that is playing so badly to play so well all of the sudden. But it happens.
There's always exceptions to the rule. However, speaking realistically, I just don't think the Suns have the firepower to make the jump from a .37 winning percentage over the first half of the season to the .72 mark a 28-11 finish would entail (especially if Stoudemire's injury problems keep up). Is it impossible? Of course not. Do they have a good or even below average shot at it? Personally, I don't think so. I said before that I'd be surprised if the Blazers make the playoffs -- well, if the Suns even really compete for them, I'd be downright shocked.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Hold on MJG. We don't even know how many games the Suns will have to win to make the playoffs. Everyone keeps making up a number, but for all we know, the 8th seed may only need 34 wins!

Sure the current 8th seed has 23 wins, but things can change in a jiffy. The point is, we don't know.

Not once single team has made the playoffs yet. And not once single team is out of it.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Hold on MJG. We don't even know how many games the Suns will have to win to make the playoffs. Everyone keeps making up a number, but for all we know, the 8th seed may only need 34 wins!

Sure the current 8th seed has 23 wins, but things can change in a jiffy. The point is, we don't know.
We don't know whether electrons really exist, either, but there's some pretty good evidence that shows they do.

The odds of the eight seed only needing 34 wins is tiny... I don't know exactly what they are (I lack the training and patience to figure them) but they're small, and the mere mathematical possibility that it could occur doesn't make for a very strong point.

Ed O.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts