Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
34,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I literally was going to publish an article about him committing much earlier in the day for Catamount Country, but I had to hold back because I couldn't more definative information, and alas Channel 3 scooped it from reading the message boards over there. Oh well...I was able to get some quotes from a HS coach in Maine, who isn't Cheverus's head coach in that article, so if anyone wants to read those, here it is:

http://catamountcountry.com/index.php?articles&art=358

He does sound like a project to me as well, but the kid will have time to develop his game. He likely won't be playing much during the season and from the Freep article, it sounds like he knows he has work to do and is willing to do it. Gotta like that, hopefully the coaching staff can mold him into something good...a lot of hard work and effort in developing your game, especially for big men in this league can go a long way.

· Registered
9,810 Posts
He's only the 6th best recruit in Maine this year, but he could turn out to be a solid player down the road. Maine players always have good fundamentals and work hard so who knows? Good move on Vermont's part to pick up some size as UMaine will have 4 players that are 6-9 or taller.

· Premium Member
34,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mainejeff said:
He's only the 6th best recruit in Maine this yearQUOTE]

Maine's 6th best prospect may very well end up being Maine's best prospect. It didn't sound like there were any Nik Caner-Medley's here.

· Registered
9,810 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:
mainejeff said:
He's only the 6th best recruit in Maine this yearQUOTE]

Maine's 6th best prospect may very well end up being Maine's best prospect. It didn't sound like there were any Nik Caner-Medley's here.
You are correct, but he received the least amount of interest among all of them and is generally considered the biggest "project" as well. That doesn't mean that he won't contribute or be a good college player eventually. I love the fact that he signed with an America East school. Suffice it to say that there will be much more interest in the league from people in the state of Maine starting next season.

· Registered
5,051 Posts
Here's my take on the possibility of Robbins red-shirting...while I think the concept is nice, allowing an 18-year-old who is still growing into his body the time to progress, both physically and skillwise, and allowing him a smoother transition into D1 college basketball...and we all certainly saw (particularly those who saw him in HS) the wonders that the extra year did for Taylor Coppenrath...but whether or not you agree or disagree on whether it'd be for the best (and I'm not even sure which side I come down on), I don't think UVM can afford to do it next season.

Let's look at UVM's 06-07 frontcourt...

*Your 2 starters will be Martin Klimes and Chris Holm. Klimes, while he has shown improvement in this aspect of his game, is still prone to fouls, and fouled out more than any other Catamount last season.

*Chris Holm, while he greatly exceeded my expectations for him last season, I'm not sure can hold up to the rigors of playing more than 20-25 mpg. His knees have been weakened, and with his size, I'm not expecting them to get a whole lot stronger all of a sudden.

*Working our way down the line...you have Tim McCrory, who has shown he can be a fairly effective 4 despite being a bit undersized (6-6, 190), because of his length and athleticism. But he's still an undersized 4.

*Ryan Shields: Talk about "If you were ever gonna redshirt someone...". To say he was a complete non-factor last season still fails to hammer home just how little of a factor he was. For all we know, and saw, and can infer...Robbins is probably better than Shields right now.

*And you have fellow freshman Joe Trapani, who again, will probably be more of a 4 (or at least, certainly not a 5, or even a 4 disguised as a 5)...and really, are we sure that Robbins isn't better than him too? Or at the very least, they're of comparable skill level?

Bottom Line: While I have a lot of faith in Klimes and Holm at this level, underneath the surface there isn't a lot of depth, to say the least. So as for Robbins, I say play him, let him learn and develop first hand. He's already got some meat on his bones (6-10, 240ish...in terms of the Tale of the Tape, not unlike Chris Holm), so he should be able to bang around a little without getting beat up, especially in the AE. Give him the chance to play, because we're going to need him in 07-08.

· Registered
1,863 Posts
I agree with Gocatsgo.

I don't see him being redshirted, unless we score a stud at the last minute with our last scholly.
Losing Duell makes it less of an option, although if McCrory can bulk up a bit, I could see him becoming a beast with increased minutes next year.
It would be a good long term move, but I don't think we have the depth to "save him" for a year.

That said, it's a great get for us and so far, I'm liking Lonergan's recruiting.

· Registered
5,051 Posts
Yeah, we don't really have more *scholarships*...we have 1 more scholarship (barring any other late actions to transfer, which would change the dynamic of the discussion entirely). And I'm not a total expert on who's available at the AE-level at this point in time (late March), but *if* Lonergan does use it, there's no guarantee it'll be on a post player...and even if it was, I'm not sure there's a post player left on the board who's dramatically better than Kyle Robbins, that would be available to come to UVM.

I think this is the redshirt question that always needs to be asked: Where does this player fit in the rotation, and can we get by without him? Well, I contend that if you look at the rotation, Robbins could foreseeably be the 2nd-best post player off the bench, and definitely the best *true low post player* off the bench...remember, 6-10 240 is still very big for the AE, so just his size I think will allow him to maybe pick up some of the slack that his current skill-set may leave behind.

Regardless, I'm excited by his inclusion to the line up, and the long-term dividends I think he'll pay out. On a somewhat different topic...anybody remember the last Catamount to come from Maine? Serious question, I can't think of one off the top of my head in recent history. A little surprising...I know ME (like VT) isn't always a hot-bed for D1 players, but I honestly can't remember anyone sticking out in my mind being from ME.

· Registered
9,810 Posts
Honestly, all the really good players from Maine have gone onto large programs (BC, Maryland, Villanova, Notre Dame, Flordia State)......and then a few transfered back to UMaine. The other mid-major level recruits have for the most part become Black Bears.

· Registered
2,326 Posts
I too think Robbins is a good get, even if he is a "project." I was wondering if the coaching shouldn't be looking at a stud from overseas, if all the good ones are taken already. There has to be a hidden gem out there somewhere that would help in the low post. Possibly a MOPO Njilla type.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.