Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today's attendance at 1st place, 10 win Boston U vs. Binghamton on a Saturday afternoon......pitiful. And to think they are hosting the AE Tourney again :rolleyes: . Maybe all of the ADs voted to have it at Boston U because they knew that there would be no homecourt advantage. Oh wait......I can hear it coming......."but there is SO MUCH to do in Boston....blah, blah, blah." Heard it before Beantown fans.....for many, many years as a matter of fact.

My theory: until a couple of other teams outside of Boston (Vermont?) start dominating the league year after year, this league will not move up in the world of college hoops. When your most dominant program and first place team is drawing 600 fans on a Saturday afternoon in January.......you ain't gonna get much recognition or respect from those outside of America East.

By the way, Vermont drew 1,000 more fans today......to its womens game.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
FYI -- UMBC drew 2,010 for it's game against Hartford. So much for the argument that people don't come out to see college basketball in major cities with lots of other entertainment options.

Bottom line -- when a UMBC, team projected to go nowhere this season, can draw 2,000+ against an injury-riddled, middle of the pack team that has been struggling as of late, on a Saturday night, in Baltimore, and BU can barely draw 600 early on a Saturday afternoon, despite being one of the best teams in the league, the problem at BU has nothing to do with location.

And before anyone suggests that winning is the key, it's worth remembering that since league play started, Vermont (2nd), Maine (3rd), UMBC (5th), Binghamton (6th) and Hartford (9th) have each drawn an average of in excess of 1,500 per game. By comparison, Boston (1st), Northeastern (4th), Stony Brook (7th), Albany (8th) and UNH (10th) are averaging under 700.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Bottom line -- when a UMBC, team projected to go nowhere this season, can draw 2,000+ against an injury-riddled, middle of the pack team that has been struggling as of late, on a Saturday night, in Baltimore, and BU can barely draw 600 early on a Saturday afternoon, despite being one of the best teams in the league, the problem at BU has nothing to do with location.
If a UMBC team can draw that many at all, Hell is apperently feeling what we're feeling outside.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Could be worse

The tourney could still be at NU. I went there in 01'-02' for the tourney and I don't think there was one NU fan there. It was hillarious. Maine had a few hundred. Vermont had an estimated 800-1000 and NU had like 12. From T.V. footage of the championship game last year at BU it appeared that BU at least had some fan support for that game.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts