Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
8,959 Posts
mike miller

didnt he have 41 off the bench last game??

if not him than maurice williams.

Reactions: hirschmanz

· We Just Wanna Chill
12,067 Posts
mjm1 said:
miller scored 41 off the bench, how exactly do you argue with that?
ooooooo, Zo had 8 blocks the other night off the bench, how exactly do you argue with that?

lol

were not comparing the 2 players specifically.

make your case but dont come into a conclusion on one game

· We Just Wanna Chill
12,067 Posts
gio30584 said:
ooooooo, Zo had 8 blocks the other night off the bench, how exactly do you argue with that?

lol

were not comparing the 2 players specifically.

make your case but dont come into a conclusion on one game
that being said, id say Miller would be the leading candidate. although i want Zo to win. :biggrin:

· Registered
2,621 Posts
um.. claxton is having a good year, and fisher, but if I had to pick one=mike miller(a monster off the bench)

· Registered
10,131 Posts
myst said:
How exactly do you argue ONE good game compared to a season? Do not attack other posters and/or bait them. - Premier

Alonzo Mourning.
And btw, Zo had 8 blocks last night, and it wasn't even his SEASON high!
If you don not quit badgering me i will report you. ENOUGH is ENOUGH. who are you to judge my opinion. Just because, in your biased opinion, you believe ZO IS THE GREATEST CENTER IN THE LEAGUE because he plays for the miami heat, doesnt make you right and others wrong.

· Registered
10,131 Posts
MrkLrn13 said:
It's an uneducated opinion, though. I mean you gotta look at other teams, too.
??? its a highly educated opinion, no other reserve in the league this season has come into a game and scored 41 points to lead his team to victory. Do you want to compare stats? Mike Miller, in 30 minutes per game, is averaging 13.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, and 3 apg. Alonzo Mourning, 20 minutes per game, averages 7.7 ppg (nearly career low), 5.5 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks per a game. It's really a matter of opinion who helps their team more and is deserving of this award. If your team is in deperate need of fire power off the bench, than there is no one in the league better than mike miller than supplying that in limited minutes. If you need an intimidating presence on the floor and incredible shot blocker, than zo would be your man. So please, do not attack my EDUCATED opinion.

· Registered
3,358 Posts
Alonzo Mourning has the highest PER of any bench player in the league (19.5, 30th overall). Claxton (17.2, 54th) and Miller (16.8, 59th) are next.

I think when you consider PER (which mainly measures offensive contribution)--combined with Zo's monstrous defensive presence and the fact that he was huge during Shaq's injury--you have to give it to Zo. No other bench player has as large of an impact on the game when on the floor.

The one argument against him is playing time. Zo plays just 20 minutes a game, compared to Claxton's 28 and Miller's 31. So, depending on your philosophical approach to the 6th man award, you might not give it to Zo based on that. Personally, I feel that the spirit of the award should be independent of minutes (is it Zo's fault he plays behind Shaq?)...but that's just me.

· _(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
27,987 Posts
Triple-double off the bench
41 points off the bench
Leads all bench players in points per game
Career-high in rebounds

All that off the bench.

If Zo's resume even approaches that, let me know. Until then, this is Miller's award to lose.

And a big guffaw to anyone trying to rationalize their guy's efficiency or PER or whatever stat the league doesn't pay attention to. It's the same reason Eddie House isn't going to win. The Sixth Man of the Year Award has always been about stats first.

· _(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
27,987 Posts
Diophantos said:
(is it Zo's fault he plays behind Shaq?)
Yes. He signed the contract with Miami after Shaq was traded to Miami.

Completely his fault.

If he wanted to win Sixth Man of the Year, he would have signed with some other team that didn't have the biggest, strongest center in the league. But he doesn't give a flip about that - he wants a title.

· Registered
10,131 Posts
Rawse said:

Completely his fault.

If he wanted to win Sixth Man of the Year, he would have signed with some other team that didn't have the biggest, strongest center in the league. But he doesn't give a flip about that - he wants a title.
:laugh: :yes:

· Registered
3,358 Posts
Rawse said:
Triple-double off the bench
41 points off the bench
Leads all bench players in points per game
Career-high in rebounds

All that off the bench.

If Zo's resume even approaches that, let me know. Until then, this is Miller's award to lose.
Shouldn't consistent performance decide this award, rather than cherry-picking each player's best games?
Per 40 minutes, Zo averages 16 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 blocks (leads league), with a TS% of 61.1 (4th in the league).
Per 40 minutes, Miller averages 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists, with a TS% of 58.8.

Both are very good; I don't know why you're acting like Miller is some sort of obvious choice here.

And a big guffaw to anyone trying to rationalize their guy's efficiency or PER or whatever stat the league doesn't pay attention to. It's the same reason Eddie House isn't going to win. The Sixth Man of the Year Award has always been about stats first.
Huh? I used PER because it's a pretty good indication of a player's overall offensive contribution. It also should be pretty obvious that Zo is by far the biggest defensive presence of any of the candidates (indeed, I'd call him among the top 5 in the league).

Mainly I'm interested in who should win, though the thread starter asked for opinions on who will win.

· Registered
3,358 Posts
Rawse said:

Completely his fault.

I guess that's fair enough. The point of my statement was more along the lines of: A player can only affect the game during the minutes he is on the floor, so unless there a huge difference in playing time, I think it's pretty reasonable to mainly consider per minute stats in this case.

· Top Of The Pops
27,460 Posts
Alonzo Mourning has been my pick for Sixth Man of the Year all season long. At least, that's who I consider most deserving...who will actually be selected is something different, which doesn't interest me that much.

· _(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
27,987 Posts
Diophantos said:
Shouldn't consistent performance decide this award, rather than cherry-picking each player's best games?
Per 40 minutes, Zo averages 16 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 blocks (leads league), with a TS% of 61.1 (4th in the league).
Per 40 minutes, Miller averages 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists, with a TS% of 58.8.

Both are very good; I don't know why you're acting like Miller is some sort of obvious choice here.
Because he is the obvious choice right now. He has the most impressive feats. There's no point in arguing about a player's PER ranking or per40 minutes. The award's never been about that. Using stats like TS% is simply looking way too far into the numbers in order to justify giving the award to "your guy."

You think the league is going to look at TS% when trying to decide whether to give the Sixth Man Award to a guy averaging 13/5/3a or a guy averaging 7/5/2b? Get real.

Miller has something on his resume that no one's even accomplished in 10 years. And a 40-point game. He's the team's second-leading scorer. If the season ended today, that's about all the league would look at.

We're not inducting these guys into the Hall of Fame. This is the Sixth Man of the Year Award.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.