Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Philadelphia 76ers will release former All-Star Elton Brand under the league's amnesty clause, according to sources.

The move to release Brand will be necessitated by the expected signing of free agent guard Nick Young and the planned re-signing of center Spencer Hawes.

NBA teams that did not use their one-time amnesty clause last season can waive one player via the amnesty provision between July 11-17 and see that player's contract figures vanish from the team's payroll for salary-cap and luxury-tax purposes.

Brand will still collect the full $18 million that the Sixers owe him next season, but he will first be offered to teams under the salary cap through the waiver process, with under-the-cap teams able to lodge bids for him.

In the event that he goes unclaimed on waivers, Brand would then be free to sign as a free agent wherever he chooses.

Young's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told ESPN.com that Young and the Sixers have reached terms on a one-year deal that, once finalized, is expected to fall in the $6 million range.

Young can't officially sign the deal until July 11, which is the first day NBA players can finalize new contracts.

Young finished last season with the Los Angeles Clippers after being acquired at the trade deadline in a three-team deal with Denver and Washington that sent JaVale McGee to the Nuggets and landed Nene with the Wizards.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Re: 76ers amnesty Elton brand and sign nick young

$18 million? :eek:

I had no idea that he was getting paid that much.

Jesus.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
I'm not sure why. There are other more lively PFs available even if they come from the local Y.

I thought they were going to hold onto Brand, but it doesn't hurt them either way. He had one year on the cap and they gave him a chance to choose where he goes (if anyone is interested). So they did him a favor.

Nick Young is getting $6 million but it doesn't matter because it's a one year deal. I like both of these moves.

Just have to watch what they do with Iguodala. They're sitting in a position now where they can play like they're keeping him so they have some leverage so I'm trying to stay positive.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Apparently Lou Williams will not be resigned by Philly.
That might hurt. He seemed to be the guy who wasn't afraid to take big shots. I have no idea who that would be if he left.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Brand would be okay if you had him on a reasonable deal. It seems like he's still worth 5 million per, but not on a long deal. If I were the Heat I'd be offering him that 3 million dollars they have just as soon as it was allowed. I don't see any other player they might get who could help them more. It doesn't look like they'll get Allen to me at least.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
That might hurt. He seemed to be the guy who wasn't afraid to take big shots. I have no idea who that would be if he left.
Nick Young. Main difference is they don't have to sink years into his contract.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Because as bad as he is he represents a massive upgrade from Brandon Bass?
Yeah, you must've watched a different Elton Brand than I did this season. Bass was better than him.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Would be surpised if Brand makes it through waivers. He would be a good pickup for the Mavs at the minimum. Wouldn't add much salary for them going forward, and he's a solid vet.

Only teams with cap space can bid right?

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Teams w/ cap get the first opportunity, but I think Elton would bring in more than a minimum. Probably some one or maybe two year offers at mini-to mid-level range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts