Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Rasheed Wallace out of the lineup, that is what our "future" averaged vs two EASTERN CONFERENCE teams (one mediocre, one terrible).

Perhaps we should reconsider our future.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
With Rasheed Wallace out of the lineup, that is what our "future" averaged vs two EASTERN CONFERENCE teams (one mediocre, one terrible).

perhaps you should realize that players go through slumps.

perhaps you should realize the guy is 22 years old.

perhaps you don't need to scream that the sky is falling so easily.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts

I'd just like to highlight that one word in your post -- "two." Before you start talking about the franchise going in a different direction, how about giving the player a little slack? It's only two bad games.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Re: Re: 8.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg

Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
perhaps you don't need to scream that the sky is falling so easily.
The sky is on the ground already.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 8.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg

Originally posted by <b>The Enigma</b>!

The sky is on the ground already.
when it comes to Zach it is?

well shoot, we better trade him now, while his stock is so high!:D

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Well, if you consider Qyntel's minutes, those numbers are impressive.

Against the Bulls, in only 15 minutes scores 9 points, on 4/5 shooting, while pulling down 4 boards. Today, against my raptors, he looked pretty good, in 25 minutes, 8 boards, 9 points on 4/9 shooting, with vince playing solid defense on him.

I mean, this kids only a sophmore, I personally think he's going to awesome. He's never gotten consistent minutes, but the kid's a freak.

Reconsider your future? Zach Randolph, and Qyntel Woods looks like a helluva future to me. Can't forget Slavko Vranes either ;)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 8.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg

Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
well shoot, we better trade him now, while his stock is so high!:D
There is still a lot of promise in Zach however I don’t think he is the type of player you build around and run an offence through. I would classify him a compliment to that player.

The Blazers have yet to find that guy.

-------

I hope Nash holds on to Zach but IMO the sky is not falling it has fallen on this particular team.
Now goes about the process of picking it back up (and that can take time).

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
With many players who surge, it is sometimes a fact that the competition scouts him more and figures him out sooner.

I am starting to question Zach shot selections. He needs to realize he is being double teamed more and more, and needs to give it up rather than put up ill advised shots. He was blocked several times today, and the shots really had no business being taken. It was quite obvious when he was shooting.

He is young and will learn. Its just good he is a started to get all these minutes. Its well documented how hard he trys and works on his game. He will get it. He has all the tools...

·
Registered
990 Posts
The only problem with this slump line of thinking is that it assumes Randolph is in a slump of his own doing.

It seems to be a result of good defensive strategy by the opposition more then anything else.

The word is out on Zach and there seems to be a sure fire way to limit him.

You defend him physically with a player who moves quick laterally (some teams have resorted to SF's) or a larger player capable of altering his shots (some teams have resorted to centers). If defending with a bigger player, be sure to shade him baseline and have a help defender cut of the lane. If defending with a smaller player, be sure to deny deep position and funnel him into the help defender. When he faces, be sure to cut off the baseline then anticipate the spin back to his dominant hand. Basically negate his quickness and force him to shoot over the set defense.

He is not just missing shots. He is having most of his shots blocked; he is forcing bad shots; he is running people over and (quite frankly) being shut down.

That is not simply a slump it is an offensively limited player (Randolph) being affected by the shortcomings in his game as well as that of the players surrounding him.

-----

It also appears that the heavy minutes are taking a toll on Zach (he simply does not appear as quick).

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it a slump when your shot has no chance of going in because it's getting blocked? They've been blocking it for several weeks now.

The fact that Zach is 22 doesn't mean that they will stop blocking his shots. Is age really a factor? Do you see a bunch of "untapped potential" in Zach?

Zach's not playing very well against the scouting report. I don't care how old he is. He's a third year pro who has yet to prove that he can put up solid numbers as a starter over a whole season. He started the year well, but he's coming down to earth now. He's a black hole. He can't play D. And our team's obsession over building around him (it started with trading Bonzi) could destroy our team if we're not careful.

I just don't see how Zach getting older will make his soft hook shots less blockable if you study his videotape.

Someone in the OregonLive forum called him "Brand without the D." Is that the kind of player we want to build around?

Can he be a valuable piece of our team? Yes. Should we trade Sheed and build around Zach? I really REALLY don't think so.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Enigma</b>!
He is not just missing shots. He is having most of his shots blocked...
Poor wording.

More like he is having a significant amount of his shots blocked.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's not getting to the free throw line anymore either. 6 attempts in the last three games?

·
Registered
635 Posts
You guys are terrible! Give the guy some time. This is his first year starting and he is only 22. Do I see potential? Hell yes. The guy is even the second best FT shooter on the team (may go to third with DA back). We need to give him time. This is not like a verteran coming in and struggling. Other teams are now paying a great deal of attention to him and getting double and triple teamed is difficult to play through. He needs to really work on his passing and jump shots (15-20 feet). Although he has had a couple of 4-5 assist nights in the last week. Here are just some of the reasons Zach is struggling:

1 He's is in a shooting slump. Happens to the best of them.

2 Getting double and triple teamed.

3 Defenses are shading their defense to his side.

4 We have NO other reliable scoring option. Even Sheed is day to day. Now our best shooter isn't getting any PT!

5 Who do you want to beat you? Zach or Mighty Midget?

6 When a shot goes up they are putting two guys on him to box him out. Why do you think DD and Vlad have gotten so many offensive boards lately?

7 His coach sucks! If Cheeks says "Zach can get 20 without running any plays for him", then why the hell aren't we running plays for him?

8. He is not the tallest guy on the floor and doesn't jup too well.

All of your complaining and *****ing is getting old. Complain about guys that have been in the league for 5-7 years and still suck!

Scott

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The Coach SUCKS!!!!

He wants them to swing the balll soo much, so by the time Zach gets the ball in the post, he has about 4 seconds to work with, thus he's rushing a lot of his shot. FIRE CHEEKS!!!

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
:whatever: :nonono: :no: :rolleyes:

I would like to think that this thread is a joke...but I am afraid some of you actually believe this silliness!

In addition to the points already made, consider this:

First, Zach has already played more minutes than he did ALL OF LAST SEASON. Have you ever heard of players "hitting the wall" when their playing time increases significantly? He just has to play through it.

Second, has anybody noticed that Zach's struggles coincide with Sheed being out? Maybe, contrary to popular opinion, Sheed does something useful when he is on the floor. Wow, what a concept.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Bingo! Grouch just hit it perfectly. Sheed demands either the other teams best defender or a Double team, when he does go in the post. If we trade Sheed, its needs to be for a big man that demands a double team in the post, or Zach won't be as effective.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by <b>Oldmangrouch</b>!

Second, has anybody noticed that Zach's struggles coincide with Sheed being out? Maybe, contrary to popular opinion, Sheed does something useful when he is on the floor. Wow, what a concept.
Has anyone noticed that it coincides with Sheed being out? Did you read the post that started this thread???? I was specifically posting his stats with Sheed out of the lineup to make that VERY point!

As for the WALL, that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about people figuiring out his game and blocking his shots. I hope he figures out a way to get around the scounting report that has him locked up. It's actually a little too early in the year to be hitting any kind of wall. We aren't even half way through the year yet.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts

Has anyone noticed that it coincides with Sheed being out? Did you read the post that started this thread???? I was specifically posting his stats with Sheed out of the lineup to make that VERY point!

As for the WALL, that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about people figuiring out his game and blocking his shots. I hope he figures out a way to get around the scounting report that has him locked up. It's actually a little too early in the year to be hitting any kind of wall. We aren't even half way through the year yet.
The comment about Sheed was not aimed at any particular individual - it was just a general comment.

As for hiting the wall....I disagree. It looks to me like Zach is fatigued, and has played with less energy the last few games. Many young players go through this when their minutes suddenly increase. I am not too worried about it.

The point about Zach needing to adjust is well taken. Again, this is common with young players. Up till now, Zach has shown a strong willingness to work hard and improve his game. If he maintains that attitude, he will make the changes that are needed. A better coach would help, but oh well.....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Shaq used to cough up the ball to double teams a lot his first couple of years, and now he's a pretty good passer. It'll take Zach some time to figure out how to play with the different kinds of defense he will see. Since he seems to be a fairly quick and interested learner, I'm not too worried about this.

Getting stuffed by bigger guys is a bit trickier. Hopefully he can learn to draw fouls better (we need the Mailman to give acting lessons) and develop a few more shots to help him (a hook and a little range to make them play closer). The Blazers ugly offense, 3rd worst in the league right now, looks downright amateurish when Zach isn't scoring. Get Rasheed and a decent shooting guard in there, though, and the team's all right.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts