Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
SienaTony said:
Event will be billed as MAAC challenge or something along those lines, key will be getting decent teams from other conferences involved. If event is successful MAAC will hold it every year, for example year after next it could be at Bridgeport, With FF and Iona involved. Maybe Buffalo and the SBA. etc

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=463837&category=SPORTS&newsdate=3/23/2006
The article references other possible leagues that may be involved as the CAA, Ivy, Patriot and the NEC. The CAA is fine, but do we want to be loading our schedules with more RPI-killing games with the Ivies, Patriot and NEC? Maybe a better approach is to try to take a page out the MVC's playbook and play more mid-major teams. Something involving the MAAC, CAA, A-10 and another conference makes more sense to me.

· Registered
209 Posts
Ken_Z said:
so the MAAC is too good for the Ivies, Patriot and NEC. don't you think the CAA, A10, etc. would feel the same about the MAAC?

on another topic, i am willing to wager that the Patriot League will be on par with (or surpass) the MAAC within a few years. would be interested in reactions to that statement from MAAC fans :bsmile:
It is not about being too good for certain conferences. It is about how does this benefit the MAAC.
Most years the MAAC is rated above the three conferences you mention. At one time the MAAC had a goal for all of its programs to play five "up" games annually, meaning schedule five games against teams in higher rated conferences.

Given the fact that many teams in the MAAC have natural rivalry games against teams from these conferences (and I am not advocating these games be dropped), I don't think it makes sense for us as a conference to play more of these games. We should be strengthing our OOC as a group. That is my point.

Enjoy Bucknell's success while it lasts, the world of mid-major hoops runs in cycles and it is hard to sustain the type of success Bucknell has enjoyed for the last few years for an extended period of time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.