Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every basketball season that i can remember has this running news story about how there is "no definitive #1" because #1 loses so many times. but yet in february in march, this story seems to go away. then, when the following season begins, they once again begin to write about now there is no definitive #1 like there was the previous year.

and now.....my response to this!!!

there is a definitive #1 this year, just as there is every year. the only thing is that it never surfaces until toward the end of january who the definitive #1 team is. duke will be ranked #1 next week. they are playing as well as anyone right now and certainly deserve it, but what about stanford?? they have beaten gonzaga, arizona, and kansas. NONE of those games were played on their home floor.

the reason that we never have a "definitive" #1 at this point in the season is NOT because one doesn't exist, it is because people like me, you, and the writers that vote to rank the teams are too stupid to figure out which team is #1 until february. mark my words...it happens every year and it will happen next year... in december people will be saying "there is so much of a balance that there is clearly not a #1 team." then around february it will stop.

uconn was not #1. i wasn't voting them #1 in our poll. given the schedule they played, i think there were more than ten teams that could have posted the same record that they did. they did nothing so special to make people think they were the best team in the country. as of now, they have 1 win against an rpi top 25 team. are they good?? yes. are they CAPABLE of being #1?? probably. are they #1?? no. were they ever?? even though we thought so, probably not.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Dukies. No. 1 team in America.

Stanford is No. 2. The Pac-10 is way down this year.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
It's Duke.

The top 25 is about who the best team in America is, if any team could go out and tip off against any team five minutes from when the poll comes out.

If rankings only look at what teams have accomplished thus far, we might as well just tally up W-L records and put Pitt at #1.

Stanford might not have lost yet, but anybody who thinks that they're as good as Duke right now just isn't thinking clearly. Duke is simply the better team.

Again, ANYBODY who doesn't have Duke at #1 after today just doesn't have their head screwed on straight, and I DARE anybody to come on here and try to tell me that Stanford would beat Duke if they played tomarrow.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>blabla97</b>!

Again, ANYBODY who doesn't have Duke at #1 after today just doesn't have their head screwed on straight, and I DARE anybody to come on here and try to tell me that Stanford would beat Duke if they played tomarrow.
Stanford could beat Duke tomorrow - sure we can do all that on paper crap.

But Stanford has beaten Kansas and Zaga without their best player.

They then beat Zona on the road pretty convincingly.

I am not convinced that Duke would beat Stanford tomorrow. It's not like were talking one anamoly with Stanford.

Stanford will probably be my #1 until they lose, as I am not convinced that Duke is a much superior team to them.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
UNC - #1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts