Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a look at my A-10 preview: A-10 Basketball Preview 2012-2013

The A-10 is very deep with the additions of VCU and Butler.

Is St Louis the favorite?

Does St Joe's make the jump back to the top of the A-10?

Where does VCU and Butler fall?

How far will X fall?

What are your predictions and MVP of the league?

One more day until the season begins!

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I agree. It would be very noteworthy if that happens.

Past results do not dictate future results however. That doesn't mean we'll win, but it certainly doesn't rule out the possibility. Given how our schedule pans out, the team that's returning, and the unfamiliarity on both sides with a style that is extremely atypical from anything seen in the A-10, and the one-time run through all the teams without return games to adjust, it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

I wouldn't bet on us winning the regular season although I think we are safely a NCAA tournament team if we play to our capabilities. It wouldn't surprise me though. Shaka has done enough exceeding expectations that I am seldom surprised by anything that happens now.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
It would be quite something if Shaka takes his squad to 1st place in year one when he never did it in the CAA.
You guys are still missing the point. Winning the a-10 is going to be extremely tough this year, it is a wide open race. But in attempting to pick the league, somebody has to be chosen to win. VCU isnt a favorite vs the field, not even close. But to pick them vs other individual teams is completely reasonable, maybe even more reasonable than any other team that could be selected (I believe this to be the case)

And this point is actually strengthened by the fact that Smart never won the CAA. Winning a league is tough, and the best teams at the end of the year often don't win their league. For example, even though Indiana is considered the #1 team in the country let alone Big ten, I wouldnt take 50/50 odds on them winning their conference.

Somebody who is picking the order of finish still has to select the team he thinks has the best chance to win though, even if it is a 20%-18%-18%-14%-10%-10%-10% type of race. Which I think any reasonable person will admit the A-10 is.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
How are they missing the point?
I think the point is that 12-4 or 11-5 may be what wins the conference and there will be more than one team with the winning record. The top of the league looks to be pretty tight this year without a single dominating team. Before Majerus went down I would have picked SLU to win it outright. Now, I'll be surprised if they do. I won't be surprised if SJU, Temple, VCU, La Salle or UMass wins it. I'll be very surprised if Butler is within a game of first place.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I think the point is that 12-4 or 11-5 may be what wins the conference and there will be more than one team with the winning record. The top of the league looks to be pretty tight this year without a single dominating team. Before Majerus went down I would have picked SLU to win it outright. Now, I'll be surprised if they do. I won't be surprised if SJU, Temple, VCU, La Salle or UMass wins it. I'll be very surprised if Butler is within a game of first place.
Blasphemy!

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
A whole bunch of teams could win it. VCU's been good lately with a good amount of national buzz and returns a lot of players from a really good team. If you had to pick a team to win, it's not surprising that a good chunk of the media picks VCU.

At the end of the day, it's an arbitrary ranking based on nothing more than a loose formula of what you did the year before, who you return, and who you add. That's hardly a proven formula and it's never guaranteed to be accurate.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
The A-10 is very deep with the additions of VCU and Butler.
Agreed.
Is St Louis the favorite?
Absolutely not. Not without Slick Rick.
Does St Joe's make the jump back to the top of the A-10?
Nope.
Where does VCU and Butler fall?
VCU at or near the top. Butler somewhere middle of the pack.
How far will X fall?
Very far. Might not be top 10.
What are your predictions and MVP of the league?
Top 5 in order: UMass, VCU, La Salle, SLU, Temple. MVP: Chaz Williams.
One more day until the season begins!
Amen. Good luck to everyone and their teams. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed.

Absolutely not. Not without Slick Rick.

Nope.

VCU at or near the top. Butler somewhere middle of the pack.

Very far. Might not be top 10.

Top 5 in order: UMass, VCU, La Salle, SLU, Temple. MVP: Chaz Williams.

Amen. Good luck to everyone and their teams. :)

Great Stuff! UMass is dangerous.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I increasingly like everything I am hearing and seeing out of VCU. I could see them winning the league.

Despite my earlier predictions, I keep leaning toward Temple unofficially. They have been so consistent under Dunphy.

My guess is the league winner will separate, as it normally does, by winning 13 games. I doubt the winner will have as few as 11 league wins. Twelve to 13 is more likely.

Butler and LaSalle are my darkhorses among the contenders. Butler's offense is still a work in progress, based on two preseason games, but they play better defense than any team in the A-10 except for SLU, VCU and perhaps Bona. If the Dogs can score more consistently than last year they will be very tough.

I am a bit more concerned about SLU (RM and Mitchell), St. Joe's (depth) and UMass (backcourt depth) than I was a month ago.

Richmond is the wrapped box under the tree. Might be something I really like, or just a throwaway gift.

I am no sold yet on Dayton's perimeter game. Flyers are going to need consistent outside shooting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts