Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
And that's why it needs to be more "In the moment" Here's 4-year rolling win totals:

UD 54 <-- losing POY, losing 4 of top 6
URI 50
BONA 48
VCU 47
DC 45 <-- loses 20% of offense off 10-8 team.

Rich 42 <-- everyone back from 14-4, NCAA bubble team
SLU 37

GMU 34
DUQ 31
LAS 30
GW 27
SJU 22
UMASS 21
FORD 16

We can argue over who's going win the A-10 next year, but if they divide into groups, Richmond being "sixth best" next year is just stupid.
You can’t make arbitrary assumptions like you did with UD. We lose the POY off of the number 3 team in the country that ran away with conference season. We’re not going to do that next year.

However, I’d argue that Crutcher is the best player in the league and that we return 3 of the top six and 5 out of the top 8, plus add players coming off red shirt seasons and then you have to consider who Grant will add from the transfer pool - he has three more scholarships. That’s not even considering what the freshman may add. That’s why Dayton and VCU have had extended periods of success. It’s just not one class that may or may not be an at large team one year.

You’re also only looking a league wins. I know it makes SBU look better, but the rolling four or five year idea needs to include OOC, and maybe other things like tournament appearances and wins.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Lets just hope to God that McGlade comes to her senses and talks everyone out of this 20-game nonsense. Or everyone talks McGlade out of it. Whatever it takes.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Lets just hope to God that McGlade comes to her senses and talks everyone out of this 20-game nonsense. Or everyone talks McGlade out of it. Whatever it takes.
It's not a "smartness" thing, it's a money thing. The opportunities to buy teams dwindle because there's fewer OOC slots available, and therefore the BCS can offer even more money to other teams.

I am not a huge fan of it, but I do think we can make it work to our advantage if we schedule the OOC right. I'm in the minority because I view the BCS locking us out with no OOC opportunities as a good thing for us...

Last 6 years of OOC... A-10 is .288 vs BCS conferences (70-173)
20-26 vs American (.435), 3-8 vs MWC (.272) and 1-4 vs Gonzaga, Saint Mary's and BYU (.200)

Grand total: 94-211 (.308) vs 8.3 conferences.
"To be the best, you've got to beat the best" Yeah, sure, in the NCAA Tournament. But the guy who makes his debut vs Tyson just gets punched in the face and is forgotten about by March.

vs EVERYONE ELSE: 508-185 (.733)

We should have a master list of who you can play OOC, who you can play on the road, who you should stay away from. Abide by that list, raise our OOC win Pct to .733 or higher; and then with a 20-game schedule, we'd be in not too bad shape.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
It's not a "smartness" thing, it's a money thing. The opportunities to buy teams dwindle because there's fewer OOC slots available, and therefore the BCS can offer even more money to other teams.

I am not a huge fan of it, but I do think we can make it work to our advantage if we schedule the OOC right. I'm in the minority because I view the BCS locking us out with no OOC opportunities as a good thing for us...

20-26 vs American (.435), 3-8 vs MWC (.272) and 1-4 vs Gonzaga, Saint Mary's and BYU (.200)

"To be the best, you've got to beat the best" Yeah, sure, in the NCAA Tournament. But the guy who makes his debut vs Tyson just gets punched in the face and is forgotten about by March.

We should have a master list of who you can play OOC, who you can play on the road, who you should stay away from. Abide by that list, raise our OOC win Pct to .733 or higher; and then with a 20-game schedule, we'd be in not too bad shape.
I like you, pal!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

It impacts the programs that are not having them problems that you cited JP.

There are no UD fans excited about a 20 game league schedule, and I can’t see UD’s Admin thinking very highly of it either. It actually hurts UD because it takes a home game off the schedule.

If it’s a money issue programs are going to have to make a bigger commitment. There really isn’t a magical fix to the problem. It’s not going away. I feel for programs that don’t have the resources but the league shouldn’t be taking away from the programs that aren’t facing these issues.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Someone on the Fordham board said that the 20 game schedule got shot down. Anybody know if that is true?

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Someone on the Fordham board said that the 20 game schedule got shot down. Anybody know if that is true?
I haven’t heard definitively yet, but word out of the SBU athletics department was the 20-game thing was far from a foregone conclusion. It was almost made to sound unlikely. They were going to meet this week and figure it out.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Can see the argument either way, but what tips me a bit against the 20 game schedule is NCAA bids. It's fine if we have a top 15 team, top 25 and 3-5 in the top 50. Otherwise we need to get into tournaments and do well against the power conferences to get us the favorable number. We know if it's close, the big boys will find a way of selecting their guys over the A10.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts