Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me, but I can't believe no one came up with this sooner. I saw a similar, but more complicated trade idea on anothe rmessage board. So, how about this...

Washington Trades

C Jahidi White
PF Etan Thomas
2003 Second Rounder

Toronto Trades

C Hakeem Olojuwan

This is great for both teams. Though Jahidi is injured right now, he should be ready for the start of the season. Because of that and othe robvious reasons, the Raptors would never go for a straight up 'Hidi for Olajuwan trade. So, in essence, the Wiz give up two big men with a lot of potential (which the Raptor need) and a 2nd rounder for a possible starting center and/or mentor for Haywood. Then, when Olajuwan's contract comes up and he retires after this year (which is likely), Wizards are left with a lot of cap space to sign a big time free agent next summer. Perhaps giving up Jahidi and Etan plus a pick is a bit much if all the Wizards want to do is clear up cap space. I wonder if the Raptors would throw in the rights to Chris Jeffries or at least Deandre Hullet (who has potential).

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
In some ways, this trade proposal makes sense, but the Wiz might be giving up too much for Hakeem. I could see how Hakeem could really mentor Kwame and I can see where an Etan or Jahidi would fit for the Raptors, too.

But GMs are a strange breed, they never seem to do what fans want them to do. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hotlanta, White is currently injured, which is a setback for the Wizards. Maybe they don't have to give the rockets etan, but I don't think he's that big of a loss. The main objective here is to clear up cap space anyway. Jahidi's contract is a real pain for the Wizards to deal with.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Maybe you're right and Jahidi' contract is a pain(I don't know), if that is true maybe just Jahidi for Hakeem would work.

Etan is young and with the right mentoring could become a decent post player for the Wizards. Big men are hard to find or replace!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Fellas!

Hakeem Olajuwon turns 40 YEARS OLD next year, and he has averaged over 30 MISSED GAMES per season over the past five seasons! Nobody wants him!

HOWEVER...

Hakeem's contract has two years left on it, while Jahidi White's has three years to go. You can't trade the two for each other straight up, though, because their salaries don't match up. You'd have to include some filler. The Raptors would have to throw in Marmaduke Ninja, and the Wiz would have to throw in Tyronn Lue. And, the contracts of both Ninja AND Lue expire after next season, so that's not an issue. Besides, the Raptors could actually USE Lue, since their ONLY backup guard right now is LYNDSAY HUNTER (and Raptors fans actually think that Toronto is a SHOO-IN for the playoffs, ha!). So this trade would work:

Hakeem and Ninja to the Wiz; Jahidi and Lue to the Raptors

So yeah, I GUESS MJ would do this deal, but ONLY because Hakeem's contract expires sooner than Jahidi's does. Jahidi would actually START at center for the Raptors, though. Hakeem wouldn't play much when he was healthy, although, like somebody pointed out, he can ONLY be a POSITIVE influence on guys like Kwame Brown, Brandon Haywood, and Etan Thomas!

Boy that guy used to be good, though, huh? How many damn post moves did that guy have? 500? Seriously! I've never seen anything like it!

Etan Thomas has more value than Hakeem at this point, simply because of his age and his contract. He's not necessarily ever going to be a star, or even a STARTER, but he's a big, young, athletic, and (most important of all) CHEAP body, so he has value in this league.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought olajuwan's contract expired after this coming season? Also, his and Jahidi' contracts do match up. You can trade for a guy with a shorter or longer contract, it's no problem. Salary-wise, Jahidi and Hakeem are pretty close also.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Washington gets ripped off in this trade. Hakeem will likely retire soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts