Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

A dead rivalry...

612 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  -33- 
#1 ·
Boy, what times we had. Whenever I hear someone say "rivalry" ever again, I'll think about the Knicks and Heat, forever. You got us in 96-97, and man, I hated you guys. (Just letting you know, if we had Ewing, Oakley, Starks, Johnson, Houston, Ward, etc, we would have won that series and gave MJ a run for his money). We got you in 97-98, in 98-99, and in 99-00, all on your home court, as the lower seed, as the underdog, with Jeff vs. Riley the theme. Three years in a row, should have been four. We owned you guys.

Now we're both pathetic losers. May the rivalry be reborn someday…

#2 ·
Great rivalry, wasn't it? Brings back memories of little JVG hanging on for dear life to whose leg was it? :laugh:

Now both clubs are having to rebuild. To be honest, it would be so nice if Zo and/or Ewing could get that elusive ring.

What a couple of true warriors. I don't remember them ever whining/complaining about the other getting hacked/bruised/maimed/ beat up by the other...just all out respect and take it to one another. Great memories.

#3 ·
Actually, if memory serves me correctly, I remember Bozo complaining, or at least claiming that Miami was the better team. Look, in that rivalry, Miami had no bragging rights at all. They were the favorites, the higher seed, with home court advantage every single time, and blew it all but once. We took 3/4, should have been 4/4. Some of the best games ever were those 70-72 games that people hated. They could KMA, because defense wins games.

I love how people say the Kings and Mavs are exciting. To me, they are exciting because they win, not score. There is nothing about the ball going in the basket that is more thrilling than something else. A 360 windmill slam dunk counts just as much as two free throws. My point is, Miami-NY was everything right about the NBA, and I'm just glad to say my team got the better of it. In recent history, the Knicks have gotten the better of their rivalries. They owned Miami, even with Indy basically, only a man named Michael stopped them.

#4 ·
My point is, Miami-NY was everything right about the NBA, and I'm just glad to say my team got the better of it. In recent history, the Knicks have gotten the better of their rivalries. They owned Miami, even with Indy basically, only a man named Michael stopped them.

It's nice that you can appreciate a "rivalry" such as Miami-NY. It's also quite nice - for you - that you're a fan of the team that was superior during those rivalry days.

Michael and his team did do their job nicely on the rest of the league.

Being a fan can be a pleasant experience or a bruising experience if one seems to "suffer" the losses that the team actually incurred. :D

#5 ·
The Knick-Heat rivalry may yet survive this "down" time...if rivalries develop during such classic moments, they could last virtually forever...

All I have to do is look at the Dodgers-Giants. These guys are STILL rivals! Through all the lean and mean years, fans of both teams still get focused when these teams meet.

#6 · (Edited)
Its not a dead rivalry its just that alot of key players have been traded or are just gone.The Heat lost Tim,Mash,P.J. and Thunder,thats all but one of our starters from that rivalry.The Knicks lost Ewing,Oak,Starks,Childs,L.J. and Van Gundy.Zo and Ewing were the main matchup and now Ewing is washed up and Zo is Sick.

Lets face it a sick Zo and a Camby that CANT even play 30 games a season is nothing special.The rivalry was about 2 teams that played DOWN & DIRTY in the post,had GREAT D and AWESOME 3pt shooting.

Hopefully the Heat will trade the #10 pick and Carter for Odom or make a trade with the Grizz for Dickerson/Swift or Battier/Swift.
Then the Knicks pick up a good player in the draft make a trade and the rivalry is back BABY!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.