Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iverson gets his help on offense, and you get Coleman out of town.

Philly Trades:
Derrick Coleman
Eric Snow

Philly Recieves:
Ron Mercer
Austin Croshere

The only thing you are really giving up is Snow, but he is nothing special. This allows you to move the 6-7 Salmons to point so Iverson can match up with the other teams PG's on defense.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
C'mon, Malakian, that's TERRIBLE!

Those two contracts--Croshere and Mercer--SUCK! The Pacers AIN'T gonna find a taker for EITHER DUDE unless they cough up one of their small forwards (Harrington, Bender, or Artest)! And WHY IN THE HELL would the 76ers want to start AUSTIN CROSHERE at power forward?

That's what the Pacers SHOULD do, anyway--they AIN'T gonna be able to re-sign both Bender and Artest next summer, and WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO?

And I VERY MUCH DOUBT that anybody wants Artest badly enough that they'll take AUSTIN CROSHERE off the Pacers' hands.

Pacers fans need to realize that Austin Croshere MUST GO if the team wants to be able to afford to keep this team together (six guys are free agents next summer, KEY GUYS who will ALL get GOOD OFFERS elsewhere, the Pacers can't match all of them). And that the only way to get somebody to take Croshere's contract is by coughing up something good--either Jermaine O'Neal, Brad Miller, Jamaal Tinsley, or Jonathan Bender. O'Neal AIN'T going anywhere, Brad Miller AIN'T going anywhere, either. Which leaves Tinsley and Bender. Tinsley's contract is A THING OF BEAUTY (he makes $3.6 mil over the next 3 years, WOW that's cheap!), teams would LOVE to have that guy because of that contract (not to mention the fact that Tinsley is pretty good NBA point guard). And teams would love to take a chance on Jonathan Bender turning into a star, too.

Which is why the Pacers WILL trade Croshere with either Bender or Tinsley sometime before the trade deadline. THEY HAVE TO, they CANNOT AFFORD NOT TO. Mercer's contract is bad enough, but it'll be done in two years--Croshere's contract lasts FOR FOUR MORE YEARS! He's gotta go!

IN ANY EVENT! The 76ers DO need some frontcourt depth (right now their top backup big guys are ALVIN JONES and Samuel Dalembert, neither of whom will touch the floor for Philly next year), and they'd LOVE to trade Coleman with either Eric Snow or Aaron McKie in order to get that frontcourt depth. The most likely scenario is one with Golden State, here are two possibilities:

Danny Fortson, Adonal Foyle, and Bobby Sura to the 76ers; Derrick Coleman, Eric Snow, and Mark Bryant to the Warriors

Danny Fortson and Erick Dampier to the 76ers; Derrick Coleman and Eric Snow to the Warriors

The Warriors want to dump payroll, and Fortson and Dampier both have four years to go. Foyle only has two years to go, and is a lot cheaper than Dampier. The Warriors would just let Coleman go after next season, they'd save themselves a ton of money in either deal. My guess is that one of these two deals WILL happen. Larry Brown probably wants to do the first one (since Foyle's contract is so much better than Dampier's, and Foyle is less injury-prone than Dampier, AND Foyle is much more coachable), and the Warriors definitely want to do the second one. My guess is that, after the Warriors realize that NOBODY ELSE IN THE LEAGUE is willing to take Danny Fortson off their hands, they'll break down and agree to the FIRST deal with Philly.

The 76ers will THEN need to sign a power forward to the veteran's minimum, sometime before the season starts. Somebody like Charles Oakley, Grant Long, Sam Mitchell, Darvin Ham, or Carlos Rogers. Let's say, oh, Sam Mitchell.

The 76ers would then look like this:

PG Aaron McKie--Bobby Sura
SG Allen Iverson--John Salmons
SF Keith Van Horn--Greg Buckner--Monty Williams
PF Danny Fortson--Sam Mitchell
C Todd MacCulloch--Adonal Foyle

After Golden State lets Coleman's contract expire, they look like this (in 2003-04, NOT INCLUDING their 2003 #1 pick):

PG Eric Snow--Gilbert Arenas--Steve Logan
SG Jason Richardson--Jiri Welsch
SF Mike Dunleavy
PF Antawn Jamison--Troy Murphy
C Erick Dampier

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A starting frontcourt of Van Horn, Fortson, and MacCollouch would clearly be the worst defensive frontcourt in basketball, in my opinion.

I don't think a team could go anywhere with a defense that bad.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BBallFan</b>!
A starting frontcourt of Van Horn, Fortson, and MacCollouch would clearly be the worst defensive frontcourt in basketball, in my opinion.

I don't think a team could go anywhere with a defense that bad.
Since when is Derrick Coleman a good defender? The present frontline--Van Horn, Coleman, and MacCulloch--is already pretty lousy! The trade I suggest would give the team SOMEBODY who can block shots (Foyle)--they would have ONE good interior defender--right now, they have ZERO good interior defenders!

Although, you're right, neither option seems very promising. But I GOTTA THINK that the ONLY WAY that Philly gets better inside is by trading Derrick Coleman (with or without Eric Snow), so I'd LOVE to hear a better suggestion! What do you think Philly should do? Stand pat? They have NOBODY to back up either Coleman OR MacCulloch right now, they've already used up their mid-level exception to sign Greg Buckner and Monty Williams, and, like I said, the best veterans out there who you MIGHT be able to get for the veteran's minimum are Charles Oakley, Sam Mitchell, Grant Long, Darvin Ham, and Carlos Rogers, and can ANY of those guys play center? I mean, I guess Philly could sign SEAN MARKS or VLADIMIR STEPANIA to back up MacCulloch, but wouldn't you rather have either Foyle or Dampier?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
DC might not be a good defender, but you don't ever improve defensively by getting Fortson, and giving him minutes.

He's as one dimensional as you can get... he just rebounds. He won't defend anyone, and he won't score.

Foyle would be a great addition to the Sixers, but from everything I've read about the Warriors, it'd be tough to get him from them... because they're also a team with weak defender, and he's their only player that's defensive-first, without caring at all about stats.

And what about Dalembert and Jones? Aren't they penciled in as the backup bigmen?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look RobyG, 3 people are free agents next summer!!!! Not 6!!!!

Next season Jermaine O'Neal, Reggie Miller, and Brad Miller will be free agents. Reggie will either be renounced or retire. That frees up space to sign Jermaine to a max deal.

Then three are free agents 2 summers from now Artest, Mercer, and Foster. We could just let Mercer walk. The only person that necasarily has to be signed is Artest. Plus, Artest might be traded before then.

Croshere would be good for Philly. He can score nice in the frontcourt when given minutes and that is what they lack. Mercer is also a scoring machine.

Snow cannot really guard the 2 guards and either can Iverson. You got Salmons and he doesn't really need to smell pine all season. He needs to get playing time. And he can let Iverson move to point on defense.

They lack scoring. We give to them for an expiring contract, and an over the hill point guard.

They get the better deal.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!

Since when is Derrick Coleman a good defender? The present frontline--Van Horn, Coleman, and MacCulloch--is already pretty lousy! The trade I suggest would give the team SOMEBODY who can block shots (Foyle)--they would have ONE good interior defender--right now, they have ZERO good interior defenders!
I have to agree with Malakin. They do have a good interior defender he just needs more time in Dalembert

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Yea Dalembert is a natural born shot blocker who just needs to learn the flow of the game, which won't happen unless he gets more pt, which will be unpredicatable from LB.

And BEEZ glad to be back, i was on vacation so I missed a lot, but I watched the whole trade interviews on comcacst, T Mac is great, I watch him and its like watching any regular person, happy to see him back.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Coleman doesnt suck..He is pretty good right now if he was 20 pound lighter he would be awesome..

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Malakian!

Proof that Ron Artest AND Jonathan Bender AND Jeff Foster are ALL restricted free agents next summer, click on either link below:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2003freeagents.htm

http://www.nbadraft.net/1999.htm

All three dudes were in that 1999 draft, the one with Elton Brand, Andre Miller, etc.--everybody from that draft who isn't re-signed before next summer will be restricted free agents next summer.

So NOW do you believe me that the Pacers are in trouble? My guess is that they let Reggie Miller and Ron Artest go, everybody else (Brad Miller, Jermaine O'Neal, Bender, and Foster) gets re-signed, here's the 2003-04 Pacers:

Starting lineup

PG Jamaal Tinsley (36 minutes/game)
SG Jonathan Bender (28 minutes/game)
SF Al Harrington (28 minutes/game)
PF Jermaine O'Neal (36 minutes/game)
C Brad Miller (32 minutes/game)

Key backups: Jeff Foster (20 minutes/game), Ron Mercer (20 minutes/game), Austin Croshere (16 minutes/game), Kevin Ollie (12 minutes/game), Fred Jones (12 minutes/game)

End of the bench (no PT): Primoz Brezec & their 2003 second round pick (whoever that is)

The only way this team can afford to re-sign Reggie and/or Artest is if you dump Croshere on somebody, and I don't see that happening, that dude's contract is TERRIBLE, the Pacers are stuck with him. Besides, if you're going to re-sign Bender, you may as well start him, you may as well begin The Post-Reggie Era in earnest. Can he play SG instead of SF? All I ever hear around here is how this guy has unlimited range--wouldn't he be a pretty crazy matchup for opposing SGs?

Reggie Miller will find a home on a contender--I cannot believe what a great fit he would be in San Antonio. The Spurs won't be re-signing Steve Smith next summer, they'll need a nice veteran SG to replace Smith. Reggie would be PERFECT in San Antonio, and if the Spurs are able to sign somebody to replace David Robinson (either Michael Olowokandi or Alonzo Mourning), you're looking at a team that should win an NBA title or two. So how could Reggie complain?

Not sure where Artest ends up (maybe Denver?), but there's a logjam at SF ANYWAY, and if you're going to be stuck with Croshere for the next 4-5 years, you may as well play him! It's not like he sucks or anything, he's just not as good as the guys ahead of him on the depth chart!

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!
:rolleyes: :laugh: I stopped reading when you said Coleman doesn't suck. :laugh:
How can you say Coleman sucks he is better then Mercer and Croshere

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!
No he is not better than them. If this deal were to go down, Coleman would be waived.
I cant agree with that. He gave Philadelphia 16 and 9 last year. Neither one of those uys has come close to that in there careers. Not to mention he did it on ONE leg. He's not the best but you must give credit where its due

1 - 15 of 15 Posts