Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of arguments about how Nate is such a bad coach, how he won't run, how he won't go through the post, and how he is generally holding the team back. Heck, I've even seen one poster say he hoped the Blazers would implode this season just so he could say "I told you so" to his fellow internet posters.

While I won't debate the merits of these criticisms, I will point out that they are not all congruent. For example, how will feeding the post (Oden) as the primary offensive option increase pace? How does running more tie in to a post-first offense? If I look at the (many) criticisms of Nate as a whole, I see a lot of claims that don't hold up as realistic when looked at through the same prism.

Anyhow, I'm pleased with Nate. Hell, I'm estactic about the entire team.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
I'm happy too with the team and Nate!

I've always felt that if it is there run, if not go half court. I think we'll see a little more running this year. I like how Oden when he got a rebound would pass it out quickly if he could.

With Oden depending on the match up we should go to him at times, but both him and LA can run the floor, hell even Joel can, so Oden can get points that way and with put backs. I wouldn't force it to him, but when he's wide open we have to get him the ball.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
all the wing players can slash and shoot

LMA cant post up consistently

they dont feed oden very well, but dont need to either

this team needs to learn how to space properly to maximize their offense

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
You hit the nail on the head Chan No Ham - spacing. If there's one thing we can improve upon, it's our spacing. Watching the game last night, we were at our worst when we didn't space well. It made steals easier because one player would pass and the other wouldn't be ready. It made defending agains out offense easier, because guys could cheat off one guy and play a zone against two guys too close to each other. It forced bad shots because we'd take precious seconds resetting to a different set.

I think three things caused this spacing issue: new players, new roles, and new plays. It's early in the season, so guys are still learning their spots in a play. Others are playing a couple of different positions over the course of a game, and can sometimes get confused between running the play as a PF or SF (or SG vs PG). And a couple of guys out there have to learn the whole playbook to catch up.

If we can get our spacing down, we won't run into situations where guys can easily double Oden, where they can prevent us from driving, etc. With good spacing, we can do like we did last season: move the ball fast to the open guy, or the guy with the mistmatch. LMA and Oden can do that hi-lo setup we want to see. Miller can find guys for the alley-oop. With good spacing comes good opportunities.

We will find that over the course of the season.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You hit the nail on the head Chan No Ham - spacing. If there's one thing we can improve upon, it's our spacing. Watching the game last night, we were at our worst when we didn't space well. It made steals easier because one player would pass and the other wouldn't be ready. It made defending agains out offense easier, because guys could cheat off one guy and play a zone against two guys too close to each other. It forced bad shots because we'd take precious seconds resetting to a different set.

I think three things caused this spacing issue: new players, new roles, and new plays. It's early in the season, so guys are still learning their spots in a play. Others are playing a couple of different positions over the course of a game, and can sometimes get confused between running the play as a PF or SF (or SG vs PG). And a couple of guys out there have to learn the whole playbook to catch up.

If we can get our spacing down, we won't run into situations where guys can easily double Oden, where they can prevent us from driving, etc. With good spacing, we can do like we did last season: move the ball fast to the open guy, or the guy with the mistmatch. LMA and Oden can do that hi-lo setup we want to see. Miller can find guys for the alley-oop. With good spacing comes good opportunities.

We will find that over the course of the season.
Both of you are on to something, IMO. Better spacing will give a more fluid feel to the offense. I think the spacing was typically wonderful in the first half last night. One play that comes to mind was the Miller-to-Webster-to-Outlaw play on the baseline. The bigs were spaced accordingly, Webster left ample room for his own shot, yet felt Outlaw open behind him and made the pass. It sticks out to me because it really was a unique play. Dribble penetration by Miller, pass across an unclogged lane to Webster, who continues the play and acts as a screen all in one move. I don't think I saw anything like that play last season.

This team can be scary good when they finally fit all of the pieces together, and forcing pace (outside of obvious opportunities) to me seems like it could hinder what the team does best on the offensive end.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Movement as well which spacing will make easier. I notice when we bogged down we were not moving as much. That is one thing Rudy does well when he's in is always moving without the ball. Webster does it too.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Movement as well which spacing will make easier. I notice when we bogged down we were not moving as much. That is one thing Rudy does well when he's in is always moving without the ball. Webster does it too.
I loved what I saw from Webster. He just seemed so much more comfortable on the court than when I last saw him play in a game that mattered. Miller/Outlaw/Webster/Rudy is a very fast and athletic second unit regardless of if Oden or Przy is playing center.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I loved what I saw from Webster. He just seemed so much more comfortable on the court than when I last saw him play in a game that mattered. Miller/Outlaw/Webster/Rudy is a very fast and athletic second unit regardless of if Oden or Przy is playing center.
You got it. I saw a couple plays in the late 3rd, early 4th where Outlaw and Miller collided. This was when Houston was making their comeback. I think Miller and Blake were in at the same time and Outlaw had gotten confused on the play. It something I can live with because he did so well in other parts of the game.

As for Webster, he fulfilled the potential we saw last pre-season, imho. It was the same type of game; unselfish, energetic, and generally really good. He couldn't stop Aaron Brooks on a couple plays, but that kid is so fast anyway, I doubt even Batum could have stopped him. He was set on defense well, though. He at least knows what to do out there!

In short, I miss Batum only because I want him to succeed. I'm glad to see Webster given the opportunity to prove his quality.

I listened to the game on the radio again today (I record the radio broadcasts for fun), and it was really a case of a fantastic 2nd and 3rd quarter, with a slowdown/garbage time bit at the end. I think a lot of people forgot how good the 2nd and 3rd quarters were by the end of the 4th.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You got it. I saw a couple plays in the late 3rd, early 4th where Outlaw and Miller collided. This was when Houston was making their comeback. I think Miller and Blake were in at the same time and Outlaw had gotten confused on the play. It something I can live with because he did so well in other parts of the game.

As for Webster, he fulfilled the potential we saw last pre-season, imho. It was the same type of game; unselfish, energetic, and generally really good. He couldn't stop Aaron Brooks on a couple plays, but that kid is so fast anyway, I doubt even Batum could have stopped him. He was set on defense well, though. He at least knows what to do out there!

In short, I miss Batum only because I want him to succeed. I'm glad to see Webster given the opportunity to prove his quality.

I listened to the game on the radio again today (I record the radio broadcasts for fun), and it was really a case of a fantastic 2nd and 3rd quarter, with a slowdown/garbage time bit at the end. I think a lot of people forgot how good the 2nd and 3rd quarters were by the end of the 4th.
I want Nic to succeed, and I think he has a better future than Webster. That's not a slam on Webster, though. I'll add to your assessment of the 2nd and 3rd quarters that the Blazers were still turning the ball over on those runs. The high game last season in TOs was 23 to Golden State in a game the Blazers lost. We won't see 26 TOs in a game again, but if we do see it, I can't argue with Nate trying to control the offense a bit. 26 TOs is not going to win a game against the Suns, let alone a team like the Lakers.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I want Nic to succeed, and I think he has a better future than Webster. That's not a slam on Webster, though. I'll add to your assessment of the 2nd and 3rd quarters that the Blazers were still turning the ball over on those runs. The high game last season in TOs was 23 to Golden State in a game the Blazers lost. We won't see 26 TOs in a game again, but if we do see it, I can't argue with Nate trying to control the offense a bit. 26 TOs is not going to win a game against the Suns, let alone a team like the Lakers.
Nate has said he's giving the guys 9 more games (a 10 game trial period) to get their act together as a running team. I think that's rather generous, really. While we did run well last night, we were sloppy, and Nate's system from last year is (while less exciting) a proven commodity.

So I guess, to answer the original question (running or post-up?) - we'll have 9 more games to find out. I trust Nate; he's not the best coach in the league, but he's way above average (Mike Brown, anyone?). If he doesn't think we can succeed yet as a running team, then let's slow it down a bit and start packing the middle with post-up opportunities for the beasts down low. We know we can win with a slower offense. Anything faster is simply for the players' interest level.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Nate has said he's giving the guys 9 more games (a 10 game trial period) to get their act together as a running team. I think that's rather generous, really. While we did run well last night, we were sloppy, and Nate's system from last year is (while less exciting) a proven commodity.

So I guess, to answer the original question (running or post-up?) - we'll have 9 more games to find out. I trust Nate; he's not the best coach in the league, but he's way above average (Mike Brown, anyone?). If he doesn't think we can succeed yet as a running team, then let's slow it down a bit and start packing the middle with post-up opportunities for the beasts down low. We know we can win with a slower offense. Anything faster is simply for the players' interest level.
But a lot of the TOs were in half court sets. I thought we did fairly well when we ran. It was electric during that stretch in the 3rd quarter! It just lit up the crowd.

Going into the 4th up by 20 I knew the Rockets was going to make a run. I figured being up by 20 we'd naturally let down a little, but we took care of business when we needed to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts