Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great day for UNH athletics today!

Men's Football dominates Colgate 55-21 and will play next Saturday in the NCAA IAA Quaterfinal game. Time is TBD. They asked Marty on the radio about the time and he said he wouldn't know until tomorrow!

Women's Basketball comes back from a double digit deficit to defeat Cornell 75-72. They will now play the winner of the Boston College North Texas game. I'm sure the Wildcats are hoping for a BC win and a match up against one of the premier teams in the ACC and against former Memorial star Kindel Dorsey tomorrow.

Finally!!!! The Herrion era gets it's first win with a hard fought 60-52 victory over Colgate! Great to see the men's team get a win after coming close in their first two games. Let's hope this can build some momentum as they now have a couple of days of practice before heading down to Boston, Mass to battle Harvard on Wednesday night. Interesting enough that game will be the first UNH Men's Basketball broadcast of the season on the UNH sportsnetwork 107.7fm. I know how hard the players have been playing under Herrion and how hard he is working to just teach them to play the right way and it is great to see they can enjoy the 5-6 hour bus ride home with a smile. Hopefully this is the first W of many to come in the Herrion era!

Ahh it is great to be a UNH sportsfan today!

·
Registered
245 Posts
It sure is! Just got back to my hotel from the game and UNH football looked really impressive. It was 41-0 just a few minutes into the third quarter. They just have so many guys that can break a game open...Ball, Santos, Boyle, Graham, Brown, etc... they are fun to watch!

As shocked as I am that UNH mens basketball won, I am even more shocked that the women's team won. I went in and watched at halftime of the football game and they were down 38-17...I think they had cut it to about ten at the half.

When they announced that men's basketball victory at the football game, I guess I was expecting some kind of reaction from the crowd, but there was none.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mildcat,

If UNH were to get a night game next Saturday, do you think they would move the Men's Basketball game to 1:00 from 7? Also sad to hear no reaction from the crowd about the men's basketball team winning, but I got a feeling with in two years that will change. In Herrion we trust!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few interesting notes from reading the UNH Basketball box score. Zeko only played 6mins, hopefully he didn't get hurt as we do not have many big men as it is. Also only 13 mins for Vetrano. Looks like Karalis had a great day with 13pts and Christensen and Janev had 12 a piece. A bit scary though how poorly Christensen is shooting the ball these past two games. Let's hope Zeko is not hurt and we can pull another upset and beat Harvard on Wednesday!

·
Registered
245 Posts
UNHFan said:
Mildcat,

If UNH were to get a night game next Saturday, do you think they would move the Men's Basketball game to 1:00 from 7? Also sad to hear no reaction from the crowd about the men's basketball team winning, but I got a feeling with in two years that will change. In Herrion we trust!
I don't know, but I kinda doubt it. I think the administration's main concern is getting as many people to the football game as possible and the basketball game will have much less impact than a hockey game will. Maybe they will let people in free like they did with the women's game today.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Despite the cold, we enjoyed the game. It was a gready day for UNH football, although I must say I thought Colgate would put up a much better challenge. I expect Northern Iowa to be much tougher next week.

Like Mildcat, I went in and watched two minutes of the women's game at halftime and they were down 12 or 13 at the half. I was shocked when it was announced that they won.

Watching ESPN after the game, the men's basketball score flashed and I was surprised again. Colgate beats us every year and I thought they would definitely beat us this year. I will say this, our basketball team is not very talented or experienced but they could easily be 3-1 right now with two very close losses. Things could be worse. I'm looking forward to finally seeing them play against Robert Morris on December 6th.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The AE will NEVER allow a team to open its doors for free to a home game. I asked a couple of years ago about NU doing that for a Hartford home hoops game that was being played opposite a BU (or BC) home hockey game, and I was told that AE bylaws effectively prohibited it, believe it or not.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mildcat said:
When they announced that men's basketball victory at the football game, I guess I was expecting some kind of reaction from the crowd, but there was none.
Hmmm, from where I sat the reaction wasn't overwhelming, but there was a fairly decent cheer. The folks behind me were talking about Herrion and they were talking fairly positively about their opinion of the direction of the basketball team, so there was at least some buzz around the stadium.

·
Registered
252 Posts
mainejeff said:
Harvard is due for a stinker. There is hope!
Yes, this is an interesting little stretch for the basketball team. Upcoming games are at Harvard, home vs. LIU and Robert Morris, then road matches in AE play vs. BU and Vermont. What UNH fan wouldn't love a 3-2 run over the next 5?!?

I'm still trying to take the season 1 game at a time, but the win on the road vs. Colgate has provided some hope!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I too heard some applause when they gave the hoop score. To be honest, I don't think that crowd really knew the significance of a basketball win out in Hamilton, NY especially when we're putting a big number up on their football team!

As for me, I witnessed the whooping Colgate put on UNH three years ago out in Hamilton. They beat us in Durham two seasons ago as well. And four years ago, we had to have a big finish to beat the Raiders in Durham. It has never been an easy game vs. Colgate and winning this one out there with a young team learning a new system is an excellent achievement.

Granite, like you it is a game at a time and savoring any accomplishments along the way!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Granite said:
Hmmm, from where I sat the reaction wasn't overwhelming, but there was a fairly decent cheer. The folks behind me were talking about Herrion and they were talking fairly positively about their opinion of the direction of the basketball team, so there was at least some buzz around the stadium.
I never made it up to the stands (the group I was travelling with included a fourteen month old in a stroller, two five year olds and a seven year old), so maybe that is why I didn't hear any cheering. I wanted so badly to hear SOMETHING! :cry:

But I stand corrected if both you and UNH Alum heard it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
And it wasn't like 8000 people were on their feet cheering or anything, so you weren't totally off base, Mildcat! But there was at least some reaction in the section that I was sitting in, at least.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts