Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since now Roger Mason Jr is out with a shoulder injury and with the rumors now with Jerry Krause are searching for a guard which saying looking for another point guard.

I would like to make a hunt list who we should look at who is availilbe now in the free agent here they are:

Tim Hardaway(If its one year deal.)

Kenny Shatterfield(Lets give him a shot.)

Dana Barros(If its a one year deal.)

Mookie Baylock(If its a one year deal.)

Damon Jones(To tell you the truth didn't pay attention to this guy but I would like to give this guy a shot.)

Brian Shaw(One year deal if he haven't resign with the Lakers or sign any team yet.)

Rick Brunson(I know this guy be a good solid back up pg.)

Raja Bell(This guy impressed me a bit last season and two seasons ago.)

Those are the guys who I have my eye on for another point guard to replace Roger Mason Jr. I know they were talking about signing John Crotty but to be honest I hope they don't sign that guy to me he won't be a good back up pg........Beside isn't he a SG?

I hope Krause look at the guys I list I know some being mention on the chicago newspaper some of the names on the list.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Even though some say Hardaway is finished, and he might be, I would still like to see him signed over the alternatives. He is an experienced, successful veteran, former all NBA, and he could be a great mentor for Williams and Crawford. He still averaged 9 pts and 4 assts last year. He must be good for 10 minutes a game.

Exactly what are you going to get out of a guy like John Crotty? His game at it's best is still worse than Hardaway's at it's worst. And Crotty isn't exactly a mentor for two young point guards, unless you want to teach the two how to be career 12th men.

Krause's style is to sign the Crotty, Larue types instead of a proven veteran. Why??? Hardaway could give the two young guns some much needed tutoring.

Hardaway is an upgrade to Mason Jr. Mason Jr had little to offer on the court this season, and wasn't going to provide veteran guidance like Hardaway would.

What am I saying. Krause won't do it.

Welcome to Chicago Crotty.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LoaKhoet</b>!
The only player that we should add if can is "Timmy Hardaway". Others are just minute wasters.
Minute wasters? Just because we sign another pg doesn't mean he plays every night! Far from it. 82 games is a long season. We need depth.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think Tim Hardaway or Mookie Blaylock would make the most sense, because they would just be one-year deals probably worth the minimum and they could help out Jay a little (even though he probably doesn't need iot, but Tim Hardaway couldn't hurt).

·
Registered
491 Posts
How about through trade? The Spurs currently got three pgs with Parker, Erick Barkley, and Speedy Claxton... Since they will need a big man to guard Shaq and relieve Robinson of about 12 mins per game, how about trading Bargaric for Erick Barkley or Speedy Claxton? This is a trade I can live with and it seemed that both players would make great backup pgs...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I just woke from a nightmare. Rusty Larue is retired, right?

Chaulk me up to Timmy Hardawy. I think Timmy could be the mentor for the point guards that Oak was to the bigmen.

Timmy knows how to play the game, maybe he could impart his expirence onto JayWill. I just wonder how attractive playing in his hometome is. He would have to give up playin at Hoops ;)

I

·
Registered
514 Posts
Tri_N if they trade Bagaric for anybody besides another center who is going to be their third center, they are defintely going to need three centers this year with the inexperience and foul trouble they get into.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Would Tim Hardaway except such a deal? I am just wondering what you all think about that...

Cause I think he realizes down the stretch there will be a winner looking for a pg, perhaps letting him go deep into the playoffs as he is making his last laps during his career.

-Petey

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well.......Remember Petey that last year Tim Hardaway was a free agent and he want a contendor team to have a chance to win a ring and he sign with Dallas Mavericks. But what happen? He got traded to the Denver Nuggets who isn't near a playoff contendor team.

So I say a 30/40 chance of Tim Hardaway signing with the Bulls...........Why I say 30/40 well one what I say above and plus when he got traded to the Nuggets I know exactly that Tim wasn't to pleased got traded to a non contendors team.

And plus he might finally realize that he isn't the same player he once was but again.........

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I doubt the Bulls will sign Hardaway. They brought him in for a physical last season and then sent him packing. Apparently his knees are just shot. Still, I wouldn't mind adding him, with what little he will play I think his knees would hold fine. I doubt the Bulls do it though.

In Crotty's defense, he's a better pg than the way a lot of folks are talking about him. The Bulls are looking for a third stringer and Crotty would definitley be able to fill the bill.

Damon Jones has shown some promise IMO, I would be pleased if the Bulls picked him up. Mookie Blaylock is another guy the Bulls would be lucky to sign to a one year deal IMO.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Brian Shaw would be a god-send but alas he re-signed with the lakers. Other than that Blaylock would be a nice addition, he's not incredibly old and injury prone like Timmy. And let's not forget he had sum very good years in Atlanta so he's knows how it is to be a starter and be productive at the same time. Plus he still knows handle to rock and play quality minutes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wouldn't Hardaway have a problem playing behind JWill and Jamal? I like Hardaway as a player, but isn't he one of those veteran players who still thinks he is a star and wouldn't be too thrilled playing 3rd string behind 2 inexperienced players?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kramer</b>!
Wouldn't Hardaway have a problem playing behind JWill and Jamal? I like Hardaway as a player, but isn't he one of those veteran players who still thinks he is a star and wouldn't be too thrilled playing 3rd string behind 2 inexperienced players?
He is at a point now where he better accept the fact the glory days are over and if he wants to play in the NBA this season it will most likely be in a small role. Three weeks until training camp and he is not signed. Can't exactly dictate your terms when no one is offering you a contract.

He should have the attitude that he is going in as a back up player but still has a chance to prove himself fit and earn minutes. Even if he doesn't play much at all i still see him as being a great mentor for Crawford and Williams. The Bulls reallly do need that type of player a lot more than they need Mason Jr, a second round pick, on the roster this year.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Timmy or Mookie would fit nicely with the Bulls....
These guys might of slow down, but they are experienced veterans that can help a young team develop, especially in the backcourt. They won't be asked to put up big offensive numbers, but more of a floor leader and guidance out on the court. I'd take Mookie....he was one of league's top defenders a few years ago, He still can play some D and he's also a decent perimeter game.

J.Will will definitley learn and benefit playing alongside these quality Vets. :yes:

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Mookie Blaylock has got to be right at the Rod Strickland level of "guys I don't want". Does no one else remember that this is a dude that skipped practice to play freakin golf?

Here's a few links that should be enough to scare away anyone from wanting him on the Bulls:

http://www.detnews.com/2001/pistons/0102/12/d07-186522.htm

How about Mookie Blaylock blowing off practice so he could play golf in San Antonio?
Blaylock, the Golden State captain, scheduled the golf outing for 1 p.m. last Sunday, thinking practice would be in the morning. Practice was switched, but Blaylock opted for the links.
For his trouble, he was fined, suspended and stripped of his captaincy. None of which bothered him in the least.
"I'd do it again," he said. "I didn't do it to make a point of saying I'm the bad guy. It's just something I planned on and I did. It's something I had planned and set and was going to do. I wasn't trying to make anybody look bad."
Here is an even better Mookie story. Earlier in the season in Indianapolis, Blaylock kept the team waiting on the bus some 30 minutes while he finished eating.
About 10 minutes before the team bus was scheduled to leave for practice, Blaylock said he told athletic trainer Tom Abdenour he was going to a nearby restaurant to eat, and that if he missed the bus he would take a cab and meet the team at Conseco Fieldhouse.
Blaylock didn't get back in time, so Coach Dave Cowens instructed the bus driver to drive the rest of the team over to the restaurant, park and wait for Blaylock to finish. Thirty minutes later, Blaylock walks out of the restaurant and boards the bus.
"They didn't have to do that," Blaylock said. "I told Tommy I'd take a taxi. That was just stupid."
As for the captaincy, he never wanted it in the first place.
"I don't look at captain as far as being a leader or being the guy they look to," he said. "It's just a word."

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nba/GSW/

G Mookie Blaylock is a free agent and will not be back. Given some of Blaylock's antics in Golden State - skipping practice to play golf two years ago and his nonchalant reaction to having his captaincy stripped - you have to wonder if anyone will sign him.

http://espn.go.com/columns/kreidler/1297724.html

Not that Blaylock himself was campaigning for Cowens to get lost. On the contrary, Mookie seemed not so much to have worked himself into a rage as to have settled into a supreme state of indifference. The technical explanation for Cowens' tossing the Mookster out of practice last Friday, in fact, was "failure to give a rat's ***," or something fairly similar.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Mookie Blaylock has got to be right at the Rod Strickland level of "guys I don't want". Does no one else remember that this is a dude that skipped practice to play freakin golf?

Here's a few links that should be enough to scare away anyone from wanting him on the Bulls:

http://www.detnews.com/2001/pistons/0102/12/d07-186522.htm

How about Mookie Blaylock blowing off practice so he could play golf in San Antonio?
Blaylock, the Golden State captain, scheduled the golf outing for 1 p.m. last Sunday, thinking practice would be in the morning. Practice was switched, but Blaylock opted for the links.
For his trouble, he was fined, suspended and stripped of his captaincy. None of which bothered him in the least.
"I'd do it again," he said. "I didn't do it to make a point of saying I'm the bad guy. It's just something I planned on and I did. It's something I had planned and set and was going to do. I wasn't trying to make anybody look bad."
Here is an even better Mookie story. Earlier in the season in Indianapolis, Blaylock kept the team waiting on the bus some 30 minutes while he finished eating.
About 10 minutes before the team bus was scheduled to leave for practice, Blaylock said he told athletic trainer Tom Abdenour he was going to a nearby restaurant to eat, and that if he missed the bus he would take a cab and meet the team at Conseco Fieldhouse.
Blaylock didn't get back in time, so Coach Dave Cowens instructed the bus driver to drive the rest of the team over to the restaurant, park and wait for Blaylock to finish. Thirty minutes later, Blaylock walks out of the restaurant and boards the bus.
"They didn't have to do that," Blaylock said. "I told Tommy I'd take a taxi. That was just stupid."
As for the captaincy, he never wanted it in the first place.
"I don't look at captain as far as being a leader or being the guy they look to," he said. "It's just a word."

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nba/GSW/

G Mookie Blaylock is a free agent and will not be back. Given some of Blaylock's antics in Golden State - skipping practice to play golf two years ago and his nonchalant reaction to having his captaincy stripped - you have to wonder if anyone will sign him.

http://espn.go.com/columns/kreidler/1297724.html

Not that Blaylock himself was campaigning for Cowens to get lost. On the contrary, Mookie seemed not so much to have worked himself into a rage as to have settled into a supreme state of indifference. The technical explanation for Cowens' tossing the Mookster out of practice last Friday, in fact, was "failure to give a rat's ***," or something fairly similar.

GOOD POST on some facts!!!
I never knew about this...Not a good pick-up at all, especially with a young team, My comments was based on his player status from a few years ago, I guess times has changed and I never knew anything about Mookies past or maybe present issues.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Point taken, MikeDC. Mookie is a slug.

Satterfield is re-signed with Denver.. he'll get decent time there, probably.

Tri_N's idea of getting Barkley away from the Spurs is a decent one, simply because he's quite a decent player, one that could become a primary backup if Crawford were ever to get shipped out. The guy has never gotten significant time in the NBA, and was originally projected to go very high in the draft, until his stock dropped a ton in the last few weeks before the draft. He's very quick and can be an average shooter...

Most importantly, he has the potential to be an exceptional defender... he averaged 3 stls a game his last season at St. John's.

Giving up Bagaric is something Krause is probably not prepared to do, unless we get a big man in return, which would void the entire prospect of the Spurs making this deal happen. But the difference is, Bagaric might be worth some heavy and significant minutes in this league, which he would get in San Antonio and probably not as much in Chicago... if he got heavy minutes in Chicago, they wouldn't be significant ones.

Someone like Art Long, Mikki Moore, or Loren Woods might be a good fit for the Bulls.

Basically, what I'm saying is let's make our 3rd string PG problem a 3rd string C problem. I think it's easier to find someone as effective as Bags out there than it is to find a decent 3rd string PG backing up two young PG's who might not last the entire season.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine... I'm not sure I totally agree with myself. But here's some more to add to the list.. these are guys that showed flashes of something when given a little time, but generally couldn't perform that well due to inconsistent minutes.

Derrick Dial (was pretty okay in S.A.)
Vonteego Cummings (once deemed the future PG of G.S.)
William Avery (a big bust, you'd think, but had a good summer)
Randy Livingston (had some decent games in PHO)
Robert Pack (might be too old now, but had some great seasons in the past.. just three seasons ago, he was still averaging 8.9 and 5.8 apg and a steal in just 22.9 mpg, starting for Dallas)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great Post and thanks for the info MikeDC! I didn't know that about Mookie Baylock well I learn something today! :D

Derek Dail I saw him play and he's not that bad but isn't he really a back up SG more then a PG or a PG/SG combo?

Avery William sucks man he's a bust he maybe do good in the summer leagues but damn if he want good mintues he need to improve durning the regular season which is important in a NBA Career as a player.

I like Eric Barkely he's a decent player being always play good in the summer league I think he be a fine point guard in the NBA in the future.

Robert Pack is more like a SG then PG the last time I check but that was a long while when he play for Houston so things change I guess lol. Eric Strickland is another player to think about but I think he's a better suit in SG then a PG.

Livingston he's still playing???

Cummings this guy need a chance with the right team but he could be a future first stringer pg in other teams but probablty not a right bill for the Bulls though I could be wrong.

There is another point guard we should consider but he's not a free agent we could come up some via trade to get him he play for the Mavs.......He is Avery Johnson who I'm talking about he already won one ring with the Spurs already and I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind play back up role and can mentor jay and also jc as well. Not sure about his salary but have to come some trade to get Avery Johnson.

What you guys think????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts