Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"There has been so many things going on over the last month that I don't have any reaction anymore," James said.

"When Gilbert's group bought the Cavaliers I thought it was 75-25 LeBron would extend his contract at the appropriate time," a former team employee declared. "In five weeks that percentage has dropped to 40-60. If they don't make the playoffs, LeBron might very well demand a trade."
http://www.nypost.com/sports/44095.htm

Even if Lebron demanded a trade it would be hard to imagine Gilbert giving him one. Gilbert has him for 2 more years guaranteed. I'd bet the only way Lebron gets out of Cleveland is wait it out, play his final year of the rookie contract under the QO and become unrestricted.

But, what if they don't sign Z? That cap room has to turn into something nice or they're crap.

Can they build something before Lebron can leave? Paxson has left the cupboard pretty bare. If they were resigned to the fact they couldn't keep Lebron, a decision I believe won't be made until he doesn't re-sign and doesn't accept any other offer sheets, what will he fetch for them in trade? They don't have much in the way of salaries to unload right now (Snow + Newble = $8M in 2005 $9M in 2006).

What is the precedence for a team to trade a #1 pick, superstar in the making, big revenue producing, fan favorite in the middle of his rookie contract?

If by some bizarre occurrence, Gilbert showed as much impatience with Lebron as he has with everything else, what would the Bulls be willing to offer to get into the Lebron sweepstakes? Could they even be a player or is it gonna take a team like Boston who can create a package that includes a veteran star like Pierce coupled with young talent like Allen and Jefferson?

From a Cavs fans perspective, you've got to wonder if they think they're forever jinxed. Last years playoff run falling apart, the Boozer deal, this years season falling apart. They thought their team was on the rise and would be a contender for years with Lebron and now it looks like they're never gonna get over the hump - especially if Gilbert turns the thing over to somebody like Greg Anthony. Gilbert needs to find his own Jerry West and Hubie Brown, not Greg Anthony and Tom Izzo.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
They have Lebron locked in for at least 3 more years.

At a bare minimum, they are going to handpick a GM and a coach this summer and give them 2 years to turn it around.

Even if Lebron demands a trade.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
And I wouldn't call have Lebron and $20M in cap space a bare cupboard.

Just bring in Phil Jackson and Michael Redd and retain Big Z and that team is easily one of the best in the East next year.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
johnston797 said:
And I wouldn't call have Lebron and $20M in cap space a bare cupboard.

Just bring in Phil Jackson and Michael Redd and retain Big Z and that team is easily one of the best in the East next year.
By bare cupboard I meant Paxson hasn't put any good young talent on that team. We all know cap space can be a tricky thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts