Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since most of you probably don't know much of me outside of a few people on this board I figure I'd share where I stand on the issues.

Issue #1: What should the Bulls be doing different?

The Bulls are a young team. The fact is, it's been a rough season and people should realize that. We had a coaching coach, a major trade, and we throw the weight and success of this franchise on the shoulders of two 23 yr olds and two 21 yr olds. People shouldn't be expecting dominance of opponents. Our kids just need to keep on what they're doing. Staying focused and playing hard. They can't control how the ball spins sometimes. Sometimes the balls fall, sometimes they don't. That's life. Not only have the Bulls decided to put the weight of the franchise on its youth, its been devestated by injury to key players (Tyson, Scottie especially). Players do need to step up, I agree, but when you got a player like Tyson Chandler hurt who changes the game both offensively and defensively just by his presence. Our team is much smoother and much more consistent when he's on the floor. So the Bulls management should not making moves, just understanding that this group can take us places if you let them.

The biggest question I ask other people when they start saying "blow it up" is how much court time have Eddy, Tyson, Jamal, and Kirk seen TOGETHER? I think its a perfectly relatively straight forward question. The answer is practically none if any. So we have to take that into consideration when we rate this group of young guys. So its best if you just let them stay together, and let them gel as a unit. Each of these players have special talents and you can draft another star quality player in this year's draft if we do end up drafting high.

Issue #2: Crawford

Don't trade him. Not yet. If any of you notice the improvement he has made offensively and defensively lately is a sign of this kid's maturity and ability to mold into a leadership role. He's 23, going on 24, and I think that for any 24 yr old to carry a team is hard. He's not Lebron, he's Jamal. If you give him time to gel with our core of guys and with coach Skiles you will see the best come out of Jamal Crawford and not the worst. He's not a shoot first player. He has to take shots, somebody has to. Who else is going to take the shots? Hey, even Iverson and Kobe take their share of horrid shots. That's probably not a justified comparison, but I think we have to understand that for in order for a player to grow he has to take the not so good shots and realize that the shot he took wasn't a good shot. Jamal is a smart kid and knows when he shouldn't have taken a shot or has made a mistake. There is no one on this team harder on himself than Jamal. Jamal expects a lot out of himself. He's not going to blame his teammates for why he went 4-18. He'll say he took bad shots or that it just wasn't falling that particular night. He's a good kid and a talent who will thrive under Skiles IF YOU LET HIM JOHN PAXSON!!

Issue #3: Tyson

I know there have been raised concerns about his back and I don't think it will be a Camby situation. He'll be fine and I know exactly what kind of back pain Tyson has. I used to have it. I landed on the end of the pole during a high jump and I had some back pain for awhile after (approximately a year and 1/2 after). However I didn't train properly to get my back strength back. I didnt concentrate on my abdominals and when I did, the pain went away. It's all about training, don't worry.

Overall, lets just keep it together and don't jump ship. It's been a season of burden for kids and I think we had the bar way too high for this team and we overrated them. We have to be more realistic with our expectations.

Let the coach have this team for ONE training camp and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Then we'll make changes. We should give these guys an oppurtunity to prove it and I think Skiles can put them in the right direction to accomplish that especially with HIS KIND OF AN OFFSEASON where everybody is working together as a team collectively at the Berto.

That's how I look at it.

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Hey, Wookie!, welcome aboard. I like your take on things, but I'm also an idiot.

Peace!

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Wookie, I tend to agree with you, but ya know, I'm kinda hooked on this stuff.
<------------------

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>WookiesOnRitalin</b>!
Since most of you probably don't know much of me outside of a few people on this board I figure I'd share where I stand on the issues.

Issue #1: What should the Bulls be doing different?

The Bulls are a young team. The fact is, it's been a rough season and people should realize that. We had a coaching coach, a major trade, and we throw the weight and success of this franchise on the shoulders of two 23 yr olds and two 21 yr olds. People shouldn't be expecting dominance of opponents. Our kids just need to keep on what they're doing. Staying focused and playing hard. They can't control how the ball spins sometimes. Sometimes the balls fall, sometimes they don't. That's life. Not only have the Bulls decided to put the weight of the franchise on its youth, its been devestated by injury to key players (Tyson, Scottie especially). Players do need to step up, I agree, but when you got a player like Tyson Chandler hurt who changes the game both offensively and defensively just by his presence. Our team is much smoother and much more consistent when he's on the floor. So the Bulls management should not making moves, just understanding that this group can take us places if you let them.

The biggest question I ask other people when they start saying "blow it up" is how much court time have Eddy, Tyson, Jamal, and Kirk seen TOGETHER? I think its a perfectly relatively straight forward question. The answer is practically none if any. So we have to take that into consideration when we rate this group of young guys. So its best if you just let them stay together, and let them gel as a unit. Each of these players have special talents and you can draft another star quality player in this year's draft if we do end up drafting high.

Issue #2: Crawford

Don't trade him. Not yet. If any of you notice the improvement he has made offensively and defensively lately is a sign of this kid's maturity and ability to mold into a leadership role. He's 23, going on 24, and I think that for any 24 yr old to carry a team is hard. He's not Lebron, he's Jamal. If you give him time to gel with our core of guys and with coach Skiles you will see the best come out of Jamal Crawford and not the worst. He's not a shoot first player. He has to take shots, somebody has to. Who else is going to take the shots? Hey, even Iverson and Kobe take their share of horrid shots. That's probably not a justified comparison, but I think we have to understand that for in order for a player to grow he has to take the not so good shots and realize that the shot he took wasn't a good shot. Jamal is a smart kid and knows when he shouldn't have taken a shot or has made a mistake. There is no one on this team harder on himself than Jamal. Jamal expects a lot out of himself. He's not going to blame his teammates for why he went 4-18. He'll say he took bad shots or that it just wasn't falling that particular night. He's a good kid and a talent who will thrive under Skiles IF YOU LET HIM JOHN PAXSON!!

Issue #3: Tyson

I know there have been raised concerns about his back and I don't think it will be a Camby situation. He'll be fine and I know exactly what kind of back pain Tyson has. I used to have it. I landed on the end of the pole during a high jump and I had some back pain for awhile after (approximately a year and 1/2 after). However I didn't train properly to get my back strength back. I didnt concentrate on my abdominals and when I did, the pain went away. It's all about training, don't worry.

Overall, lets just keep it together and don't jump ship. It's been a season of burden for kids and I think we had the bar way too high for this team and we overrated them. We have to be more realistic with our expectations.

Let the coach have this team for ONE training camp and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Then we'll make changes. We should give these guys an oppurtunity to prove it and I think Skiles can put them in the right direction to accomplish that especially with HIS KIND OF AN OFFSEASON where everybody is working together as a team collectively at the Berto.

That's how I look at it.
Good thoughts. Look forward to reading more of them.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Yeah, glad to have you aboard. Looking forward to hearing you talk ball in the future.

BTW, I think your thoughts are pretty on target.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's amazing. On a different board, I had a moderator calling me an idiot with no credentials saying I don't get it.

Just because I questioned his judgement about a player a high school point guard he wants to trade Jamal Crawford for in the 2004 draft that this particular moderator hasn't seen. Yet, he's sold on the fact that we should trade Crawford for this guy.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
It's amazing. On a different board, I had a moderator calling me an idiot with no credentials saying I don't get it.
I saw that too. As a fellow victim of his personal attacks, I'm amazed at what they let Foul Weather Fan get away with over there. :no:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know, I might only be 19.

But I've been watching basketball all my life and I know how to play the game.

I was playing pick up with some guys including my cousin. My cousin was getting annoyed with me playing defense....

He didn't make one shot the whole session.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great I try to get away from you realgm posters and what do you do? You follow me here! By the way do you still want to do that Vin Baker for Elton Brand trade?

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts

Just because I questioned his judgement about a player a high school point guard he wants to trade Jamal Crawford for in the 2004 draft that this particular moderator hasn't seen. Yet, he's sold on the fact that we should trade Crawford for this guy.
I agree with all of your thoughts. I've been one of the few people who has been preaching patience all season. I think everyone is frustrated because of all of the "history in the making", "Everything can change in the blink of an eye" and "No excuses" messages that are coming from the franchise. Management obviously built this team up to be something it's not...yet. But the young players are still developing and they will continue to do so. The Bulls need to simply try to get some better pieces to put around them and they will be fine.

So who was the HS'er that he wants to trade JC for? Sebastian Telfair? Did you know he played alongside JC in the EBC? A very good explosive player but I'd still take Crawford over him myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts