Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Jerome Williams...

Dear Bulls Fan,

I'm writing to say hi and to thank you for your support this season. I've always loved the intensity Chicago fans bring every game, and I love the electric atmosphere here in the United Center. Chicago fans are regarded as the most devoted in the league, and I couldn't be happier to be playing for you like a "Junk Yard Dog."

First, you're probably wondering where I got that nickname. It was given to me my rookie year by two veterans in Detroit--Rick Mahorn and Grant Long. They liked my hard work and tenacity on the court, and the name just stuck. As a rookie, I didn't have much choice and it has followed me ever since.

After arriving in Chicago, I was surprised at the level of talent here--especially from Eddy, Tyson, Jamal and Kirk. My main focus has been showing these kids how to learn the game and utilize all that talent. There's so much more to being a successful NBA player than just basketball. When you're doing this as a full-time job you have to treat it that way on and off the court. Basketball takes a lot of focus, a lot of drive and a lot of attentiveness--and that's what I've been trying to get accross to our young guys.

Outside of basketball I live a very simple life. I spend as much time as possible with my wife Nikkollette and our three children, Gabrielle, Giselle and Sherae. I read the Bible a lot and love spending time in the community helping kids, especially through the "Read To Achieve" program. For entertainment, I'm a huge fan of Harrison Ford ("Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Star Wars" are my favorites) and Halle Berry (I loved her in "Boomerang").

And I bet you didn't know I'm a huge pro wrestling fan! I knew the president of the WWE in Toronto so I was able to sit ringside for a lot of matches. Goldberg, The Rock, Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho are a few of my favorites, but my all-time favorite is definitely Hulk Hogan. He shows a lot of toughness and energy, which is something I also like to do.

I know our team hasn't had the start you were hoping for, but I still have high hopes and a lot of confidence. This is my eighth year in the NBA. I've been to the playoffs, and very close to the Eastern Conference Finals, but now I want to turn that corner. Success in the NBA takes time, along with an extremely high level of committment from everyone. I play this game to win championships and that requires everyone to be 100% committed to winning. Scott Skiles and the coaching staff have been preaching that since day one. He's brought the fire and intensity to coaching that I love, and it's just a matter of time before we put it all together as a team.

Finally, I want you to keep the "Junk Yard Dog barks" going, because I can definitely hear them when I'm out on the court. It inspires me, and I'm always barkin' right back!

With sincere thanks and best wishes,

Jerome Williams

I got this from mybulls a minute ago, sort of out of the blue huh?

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
wow, i'll say, outta the clear blue yonder.

something is up. the pr office at the bulls is working overtime. something is going to go down before the deadline. dontcha think?

either that or they are just plain embarrassed and want to, oh, gosh, i am at a loss... but it is a nice letter. thanks jerome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.