Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even with an eccentric billionaire such as Paul Allen as owner, these are the strangest of times for the Trail Blazers.

We’re less than a month away from the NBA draft, and the man running the front office for Portland isn’t sure how much longer he’ll have a job.

General Manager Kevin Pritchard is in Minneapolis with scouting directors Chad Buchanan and Mike Born, evaluating talent at a multi-team combine run by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Last week, Pritchard was in Chicago for the NBA’s pre-draft camp. Next week, he’ll either be in Italy for a look at international prospects or in Portland, conducting personal workouts.

It’s business as usual, or as close to it as Pritchard can get without knowing if a pink slip is on its way.

On March 16, Pritchard’s right-hand man — assistant GM Tom Penn — was fired for what president Larry Miller would describe only as “philosophical differences.”

A few days later, with rumors flying about Pritchard’s job security, Pritchard and Miller met with reporters, the latter saying that at the end of the season, “that will be evaluated — not just Kevin, but everybody in the organization.”

On March 25, Allen issued a release through the team’s basketball communications staff that answered very little about the situation.

“When the season ends, we will evaluate how best to move the Trail Blazers forward,” the release said. “That’s no different than the way we have operated for the past 21 seasons. I support everyone who works for me, including Kevin Pritchard, and that’s why he’s our general manager.”

The season ended April 29 with Portland’s Game-6 loss at Phoenix in their first-round playoff series.

Nearly a month later, not a peep from Allen, Miller or anyone else about “evaluations.”
You would think if they were going to fire KP, which I think would be crazy to do, but hey being a Cowboy fan and having the owner fire the coach after winning two SBs anything is possible, that it would be after the draft most likely. I mean if they plan on keeping him wouldn't they by now have said so??

Link

Still, it’s an uncomfortable position for an executive who has been instrumental in turning around a franchise that hit bottom with an NBA-worst record of 21-61 in 2005-06.

Asked Monday when he expects to get his job evaluation, Pritchard replied, “Don’t know. I’m focusing on the draft right now.”

Does he expect to return next season as general manager?

“I’m focused on this, that’s all I can tell you,” he said. “That’s my goal, to do the best job I can for this organization.”
Talk about leaving you hanging in the wind.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts