Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
You've got a great team to watch, and while I'm a Pistons fan, I'd have to say the Grizzlies are second or third on my list of favorite teams.

I've thought up a rather drastic trade proposal that may help both teams, but I really don't know enough about your team to know whether it would be a fair trade or something you'd consider. I'm pretty confident that most Pistons fans will hate this idea. If you don't like it either, then perhaps it's a fair trade :)

Detroit trades:
Ben Wallace
Corliss Williamson

Memphis trades:
Paul Gasol
Stromile Swift
Shane Battier

This trade works out to within .2 million cap wise and meets the requirements of the CBA.

Why this is could be a good idea for Detroit:
Currently, we're a team stuck in the middle. The Pistons are good, but not quite good enough to win it all. However, Coach Brown (Larry that is) seems to think we can, and thus is applying a win-now approach that may hurt the development of prize prospect Darko Milicic. Our prospects for the future look very good, but currently it doesn't look like we can retain Okur this offseason without clearing cap space by moving a valuable bench player. My personal opinion is that a trade to clarify the direction of this team, either to win now or win in a couple years, would really help. This trade would set us up to potentially dominate the Eastern Conference for years, since all of our core players would be quite young and we'd have a balanced, deep and talented roster. Wallace is an incredible player, and it would hurt badly to lose him. His loss would most likely end any chances we had at advancing too far in the playoffs this season, and in many ways he is the heart of our current team. However, I think that giving him up may be the only way to aquire another young frontcourt talent to pair with Milicic in the future.

Gasol is a superb young player, though he does seem to have certain deficiencies (I may be wrong on this, but doesn't he have some trouble guarding physical post players such as Randolph, Brand, etc?). As soon as Milicic develops, we'd have the best frontcourt in the eastern conference for the next several years. Swift is both the expiring contract we need to retain Okur and a good back up plan in case the bidding goes to high to retain Mehmet. Battier is a very good team player and would help compensate for the loss in team spirit and work ethic incurred by trading away Ben Wallace.

Why this could be a good idea for Memphis:
There's no one like Ben Wallace. As a help defender and rebounder, only Garnett is comparable. Ben's work ethic and will to win are incredible. He's 29, but with his training regimen and lack of past injury problems, he's got at least another 4-6 peak years left. He's both a two Defensive Player of the Year and back to back rebounding leader league wide. He's one of the most underpaid players in the league other than those on rookie scale contracts. Corliss is a consumate professional with an excellent work ethic who is willing to accept whatever role a team has for him. He has a very efficient post-up game, at times even devestating depending on match-ups. His post defense is also vastly under-rated. His contract is a little heavy, but he's overpaid only maybe 1-2 million a year, whereas Wallace is underpaid by 4-6 million minimum. Your team has incredible depth, but you can't give enough minutes to everyone, so a consolidating trade would seem to be a good idea. The veteran leadership and toughness these two would provide could be invaluable in the Western Conferenc playoffs.

What do you think? If I'm completely nuts proposing this, please let me know :) On the other hand, if you agree that this is a good idea I'd like to know that as well.

Best wishes for the success of both you (collectively) and your favorite team!

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Man would we suck if we made this trade.:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

I think we will pass on that :laugh:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
U understimate the Memphis' players.. Pau has alone a better trade value than Ben..(IMH) and Shane and Stro are also very good players.. this trade sucks for the Griz.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
WOW!

uuummmmm.....NO! (sorry didnt mean to be so blunt but that was just a bad proposal)

·
Registered
488 Posts
This is not a good trade for memphis, but IMO it is bad too for detroit.
If you want to trade Ben Wallace in order to give minutes to Milicic, I don't think it's a good idea to get a younger PF who can do the same thing than Darko... :)

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Originally posted by <b>piri</b>!
This is not a good trade for memphis, but IMO it is bad too for detroit.
If you want to trade Ben Wallace in order to give minutes to Milicic, I don't think it's a good idea to get a younger PF who can do the same thing than Darko... :)
Take a gander at Detroit's frontline with that trade.

PF Gasol/Swift/Milicic
C Okur/Campbell

Holy...

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rawse</b>!

Take a gander at Detroit's frontline with that trade.

PF Gasol/Swift/Milicic
C Okur/Campbell

Holy...
Don't forget to add:

Prince/Battier/Delfino

good gosh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts