Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I am worried about Kentucky's game vs. Mississippi State.

Lets think about this:

Mississippi State was a really damn good team before, and now, during March Madness, they're even better!

I know one thing though: As long as Kentucky can keep it's mental toughness, we're not going to lose.

And we'll have the home court advantage. I know, it's in New Orleans, but so many Kentucky fans will be in that dome you might as well call it Rupp Arena.

Anyways, what do you think about the Kentucky game tommorrow against Mississippi Stae? Who do you think will win and why?

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Don't worry. UK has locked a #1 seed. Even if you guys lose by 1000000000000000000000 points you will still get a higher seed than anyone in the SEC.

Oh yeah, and I think that UK will win. I don't think that they can be stopped by an SEC team. The SEC is very weak in my eyes. They have teams like Ole Miss, Vandy, Arkansas, and South Carolina. That all the teams beat up just to improve their records. Out of playing those teams twice each, you have just improved your record by 8 games! And most SEC teams play WEAK Out of Conference Schedules. I know that UK, Georgia, UF, and maybe one other don't but the majority do. And right now the SEC only has 3 REAL ranked teams. It will take someone outside of the SEC to beat UK. Like a Michigan State. :D BTW - They beat them by four not 2. :D

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Oh yeah, and I think that UK will win. I don't think that they can be stopped by an SEC team. The SEC is very weak in my eyes. They have teams like Ole Miss, Vandy, Arkansas, and South Carolina. That all the teams beat up just to improve their records. Out of playing those teams twice each, you have just improved your record by 8 games! And most SEC teams play WEAK Out of Conference Schedules. I know that UK, Georgia, UF, and maybe one other don't but the majority do. And right now the SEC only has 3 REAL ranked teams. It will take someone outside of the SEC to beat UK. Like a Michigan State. BTW - They beat them by four not 2.
A Big 10 fan saying the SEC is weak? Yeah, alright.

All four of those teams you mentioned are young, scrappy teams that aren't "gimme" games like you make them out to be, Spartan. And absolutely NO ONE in the SEC likes to go on the road to win...it's almost impossible to do what UK has done this season in the SEC, and that's commendable of them. But you have no clue how tough it is to play in another SEC arena, whether it be Florida or Vanderbilt. So it's not an automatic, "oh we're playing Ole Miss, so we're improved by two games." It's "Oh, we're playing Ole Miss...we SHOULD win that game, but we'd better be prepared."

Please...you guys have North-worst-ern, Penn State, Minnesota, and Iowa to kick around your conference. What's the Spartan record?

And just FYI, from one Griz fan to another, no bad blood, but MSU has played (and beat) a tough Xavier team and Oklahoma in their non-conference schedule.

Kentucky will be very hard to beat today. They can just turn on their offense like no other team in the nation, but I have faith in my Bulldogs. Stansbury has a great team in Starkville. Should be a classic this afternoon.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>Spartanfan2003</b>!
Don't worry. UK has locked a #1 seed. Even if you guys lose by 1000000000000000000000 points you will still get a higher seed than anyone in the SEC.

Oh yeah, and I think that UK will win. I don't think that they can be stopped by an SEC team. The SEC is very weak in my eyes. They have teams like Ole Miss, Vandy, Arkansas, and South Carolina. That all the teams beat up just to improve their records. Out of playing those teams twice each, you have just improved your record by 8 games! And most SEC teams play WEAK Out of Conference Schedules. I know that UK, Georgia, UF, and maybe one other don't but the majority do. And right now the SEC only has 3 REAL ranked teams. It will take someone outside of the SEC to beat UK. Like a Michigan State. :D BTW - They beat them by four not 2. :D
Yes Michigan State did beat Kentucky at Kentucky. Take into note though that Kentucky still hadn't began listening to Tubby at that time. They didn't have this incredible defense or none of that. Whether they played them at Michigan State or at Kentucky or in a neautral arena, Kentucky would win now.

To say the SEC is having a downyear is just a wrong statement. Some teams are, yes, but each team can easily pull off an upset at any time, especially during March Madness. Mark my words, in two years Arkansas is going to be another MAJOR competitor. Vandy will also be good in 2 years or less. Ole Miss is going to have their time to shine eventually. Kentucky has played the second hardest out of conference schedule in the nation, so don't say they've had a weak schedule.

Let's look at the teams that ARE good (apart from Kentucky).

Georgia. (yeah, Jim Harricks a dumbass, but the team was excellent)
Mississippi State.
Florida.
LSU. (You'll know what I mean if you saw any of their SEC tournament games)

Look at those teams and to say that Kentucky hasn't had to go through a lot to get to number 2 and earn the respect that they have, is utterly ridiculous.

Let's put it this way: The SEC is having a hell of a better year than, say, the Big Ten. The Big Ten historically has been the best conference, but not this year. Indiana and Michigan State are a let-down. University of Michigan, Northwestern, and Iowa. Ok, easy teams to beat, yet what is Michigan States record?

Like rawse said, when an SEC team goes to play another SEC team like Arkansas (a team thatsnot doing well this year) the immidiate thought it "Oh were playing Arkansas, we will probably win but we better be ready for anything." Why? Because its easy for any SEC team to pull off an upset.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rawse</b>!

A Big 10 fan saying the SEC is weak? Yeah, alright.

All four of those teams you mentioned are young, scrappy teams that aren't "gimme" games like you make them out to be, Spartan. And absolutely NO ONE in the SEC likes to go on the road to win...it's almost impossible to do what UK has done this season in the SEC, and that's commendable of them. But you have no clue how tough it is to play in another SEC arena, whether it be Florida or Vanderbilt. So it's not an automatic, "oh we're playing Ole Miss, so we're improved by two games." It's "Oh, we're playing Ole Miss...we SHOULD win that game, but we'd better be prepared."

Please...you guys have North-worst-ern, Penn State, Minnesota, and Iowa to kick around your conference. What's the Spartan record?

And just FYI, from one Griz fan to another, no bad blood, but MSU has played (and beat) a tough Xavier team and Oklahoma in their non-conference schedule.

Kentucky will be very hard to beat today. They can just turn on their offense like no other team in the nation, but I have faith in my Bulldogs. Stansbury has a great team in Starkville. Should be a classic this afternoon.
I don't think what you are saying is completely true about the Rebels, Cocks, etc. being by games. The Big 10 only has one TRUE weak team. Penn State. Northwestern has beaten some of the best teams in the Conference. Minnesota is probably going to the tournament. We have two ranked teams and the SEC has two, or soon to be two. Don't refer to Miss. St. as MSU either. Have they ever won a national championship in a sport that people care to follow? Were they around before Mich. St.? Did they let blacks into their school in the early to mid. 90's? NO. You talk about Miss. St. beating tough teams, well did they beat Kentucky? I didn't think so. MSU beat Kentucky AT Kentucky by four points. You think that Iowa is a pushover team like Ole Miss? If you do then you are sadly mistaken. The Big Ten has had six teams ranked this year: Michigan State (As far up as 7), Indiana (in the top 10), Wisconsin (top 15), Illinois (Top 10), Purdue (20-25), Minnesota (15-25). Since all those teams stepped into the Big 10 they have been beaten up badly, because the worst teams can beat the best teams on any night. Then you have a team in Michigan who took 10+ games to get their game on track, but they did it and went without another loss for a long time. The Big 10 is a tougher conference historically and now. The SEC is overhyped. Are you just mad because the Big Ten was also better in Hockey (Well, there is technically no SEC or Big 10 here, but same teams), Football, Swimming. (Those are the only other College Sports I follow) Make no mistake, I am a hardcore Grizzlies fan, but I will go to any lengths to defend the Big 10.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hockey? Who the hell cares about college hockey? Or professional hockey? The only black this in hockey is the puck :)p ). I hate hockey. I find absolutely nothing interesting about it. Period.

College swimming? Don't care. College baseball? Don't care. (But I watch the MLB). The onyl college sports i love are basketball and football.

The Big Ten is having a down year. You just said about the Big Ten what i said about the SEC, just phrased it differently. Any bad SEC team can beat a good SEC at any time. Yes, the Big Ten has had more ranked teams this year, but a lot of those teams aren't good enough to even STAY ranked (i.e. Indiana, Michigan State).

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ukfan4Life</b>!
Hockey? Who the hell cares about college hockey? Or professional hockey? The only black this in hockey is the puck :)p ). I hate hockey. I find absolutely nothing interesting about it. Period.

College swimming? Don't care. College baseball? Don't care. (But I watch the MLB). The onyl college sports i love are basketball and football.

The Big Ten is having a down year. You just said about the Big Ten what i said about the SEC, just phrased it differently. Any bad SEC team can beat a good SEC at any time. Yes, the Big Ten has had more ranked teams this year, but a lot of those teams aren't good enough to even STAY ranked (i.e. Indiana, Michigan State).
A lot of people care about hockey. You just live in racist ol' Memphis, where noone gives a damn about it. Swimming is also a very popular sport. My cousin swims for U of Michigan (or Muuuu) ;) , which is a top 3 Swimming team. Yeah, College Baseball sucks. And it is not that the teams are not good enough to stay ranked, it is just that the tough play in the Big 10 has brought them down. (IE: Indiana loosing to MSU twice and NW. MSU lossing to Iowa and OSU)

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Don't diss da hockey, Dany Heatley rules. Oh yeah and UK4life, good to see you giving props to UGA despite their distractions and also I think Tennessee is another competitive team with Ron Slay as their #1 scorer.

And where are all the Kentucky and Spartan fans during FOOTBALL season? Yeah, that's what I wanna know!!

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I like Kentucky football (not as much as basketball) but to put it simple, after the Bear Bryant days, Kentucky football SUCKS.
S
U
C
K
S

That's right, I'm not afraid to say it. I am curious about what Kentuckys new football coach and his new recruits can do though. My family owns a skybox in the Kentucky football stadium which Tubby Smith comes to visit us in very frequently.

And to Spartan...LMAO MUUUUUUUUUUU! MUUUUUUUUUU!

But its not the fact that I live in Memphis that keeps me from liking hockey, I just don't find anything interesting about it. I'm not dissing it, and I'm sure as hell not calling it a sissy sport (who'd call hockey a sissy sport anyhow?). But, I can see how people are entertained by it, I'm just not one of those people.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, Georgia Sports, my family knows the parents and know first team All American defensive end for Georgia, David Pollard.
He's a really great guy.

·
_(&#12484;)_&#3626;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3
28,008 Posts
Spartanfan

What you fail to realize is that I was born in Illinois, and lived in Indiana for a good portion of my life. I've been an Illini fan ever since I can remember, and an IU fan as long as Bob Knight coached there (Now, I'm strictly an Illini fan.).

And saying we don't care about hockey because we live in a "racist" city is beyond ridiculous...nice stereotype. The only college sports that matter (to me, and most anyone else) are football and basketball. Since I consider myself a Yankee first and foremost, I'm a huge basketball nut, and I'm ho-hum on football (and that's not because the suckass Bulldogs haven't won a conference game in about two years.).

I've been a Big Ten follower just as long as you have, Spartan. On the contrary, you can not say the same about yourself and the SEC. Speaking as a Big Ten fan, I call this an extremely off year. While Indiana, Michigan State, and Purdue have been ranked this year, their weaknesses have been exposed as the year has progressed. They are not very good teams, and they represent the second tier of that conference. The only truly good teams in that conference are Wisconsin and my Illini.

As far as the other sports go, who honestly cares...I mean really...of course the Minnesotans will be more into their hockey than Alabama...that's all about location. I doubt there is even a hockey rink in Alabama (along with anything else modern :laugh: ). But since it's been well-documented by everyone that the SEC is arguably the best basketball conference in the nation (aside from the Big 12), and the Big Ten has been extremely shallow, are you going to counter that the Big Ten is better at hockey and swimming? :grinning:

·
_(&#12484;)_&#3626;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3
28,008 Posts
UKfan

Our football team is infinitely worse than yours. :p :dead: :| :sour: :uhoh:

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
My conference rankings (best is number 1).

1. Big 12
2. SEC

I dont know about the rest.
No way! The Pac 10 and Big East are far above the SEC.
My Rankings THIS years -
1.Big 12
2.Big East
3.Pac 10
4.SEC
5.Big 10
6.C-USA
7.MAC
8.WCC
9.WAC
10.MEAC

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No way, not the Pac 10. The only exceptionally good team they have is Arizona. Big East has Pittsburgh and Notre Dame.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
No way, not the Pac 10. The only exceptionally good team they have is Arizona. Big East has Pittsburgh and Notre Dame.
Lets compare the Big East and the SEC first.....

Kentucky or Pittsburgh - Both will be #1 seeds. Slight advantage to Kentucky.

Syracuse or Florida - No doubt, Syracuse.

Notre Dame or Mississippi State - Notre Dame of course.

Connecticut or Auburn - Connecticut.

Boston College or Tennessee - BC.

Seton Hall or Ole Miss - Seton Hall.

Miami or LSU - Slight advantage LSU.

The rest are bottom feeders.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I can agree with almost everything except Notre dame and Mississippi State.
Even if they are better there, that is only one more slight advantage. Call it a tie if you must, but some of the comparisons REALLY swung in the Big East's favor. IE: Seton Hall and Ole Miss. Seton Hall is a tourny team and I am comparing them to a team with an almost losing record.

Oh yeah, two more GREAT annual teams that I didn't even have enough good SEC teams to compare with -

Villinova
Georgetown

1 - 20 of 28 Posts